My US wife, Aus Visa options

Old Jan 7th 2016, 3:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My US wife, Aus Visa options

Originally Posted by ando88
Cost wise would it be cheaper for her to enter under a student visa (we are beginning applying for schools) or would it be better just to go for the PR off the bat? $6800 is probably the priciest visa I've seen.
Spouse visas offshore have gone up horribly in the last few years and are nw as expensive as onshore.
If she enters on a student visa (assuming she gets the course lined up and meets all the requirements) then she can certainly apply onshore for a Spouse Visa but the cost will be the same - plus she will already have forked out for the student visa and associated costs with getting that. So more expensive in the long run, but it would mean she could apply from Aus instead of offshore.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

ando88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Spouse visas offshore have gone up horribly in the last few years and are nw as expensive as onshore.
If she enters on a student visa (assuming she gets the course lined up and meets all the requirements) then she can certainly apply onshore for a Spouse Visa but the cost will be the same - plus she will already have forked out for the student visa and associated costs with getting that. So more expensive in the long run, but it would mean she could apply from Aus instead of offshore.
Okay thanks for that. It's a pity the spouse visa has gone up so much in price. This will surely make it difficult for many Australians who don't have 7k lying around. I understand the need for heavy scrutiny in these situations, but the price is a right smack in the face to the Australians who have spouses who are not.

The student visa may be the better option as it is, and we can cross the residency later down the road
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Okay thanks for that. It's a pity the spouse visa has gone up so much in price. This will surely make it difficult for many Australians who don't have 7k lying around. I understand the need for heavy scrutiny in these situations, but the price is a right smack in the face to the Australians who have spouses who are not.

The student visa may be the better option as it is, and we can cross the residency later down the road
The price has been steadily going up over the last few years, bo-one likes it but we have to pay it. Its still cheaper and easier than many countries, such as the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a student visa first seems to be just adding to the expense overall. Not just the student visa, but the cost of studying which would be considerable for an international student. In the meantime the cost of spouse visa only going t increase. I would bite the bullet.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Getting a student visa first seems to be just adding to the expense overall. Not just the student visa, but the cost of studying which would be considerable for an international student. In the meantime the cost of spouse visa only going t increase. I would bite the bullet.
Good information. Would she be able to get commonwealth support as an Australian resident, or would it just mean we will need to pay domestic tuition fee instead of the International fees?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Also we want to put away any reasonable doubt about her rights having been born there in 93'. Her dad worked for 6 years there, but he was not a permanent resident. But by being born there, is there a process of naturalisation or is that for years spent before turning 18 years old?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:25 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Also we want to put away any reasonable doubt about her rights having been born there in 93'. Her dad worked for 6 years there, but he was not a permanent resident. But by being born there, is there a process of naturalisation or is that for years spent before turning 18 years old?
If she was in Australia for the first 10 years of her life, then possibly she might eligible for citizenship. How long was she in Australia?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Probably no longer than 1-2 years.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 4:12 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Good information. Would she be able to get commonwealth support as an Australian resident, or would it just mean we will need to pay domestic tuition fee instead of the International fees?
My understanding:

Student visa
-International fees

Permanent resident
-domestic fees
-eligible for commonwealth supported place
-not eligible for HECS

Citizen
-domestic fees
-eligible for commonwealth supported place
-eligible for HECS
Old Jan 12th 2016, 4:14 am
Lost in the antipodes

Probably no longer than 1-2 years.
I wouldn't think she is eligible for citizenship by birth if she was only in Aus for 2 years. The threshold is the first ten years of the child's life.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If she is there on a student visa, then she is by definition an international student. International students pay international fees and there is no help.

Being born in Australia does not make one a citizen, I think it did at one point in the past but not sure how long ago it changed.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:57 am
Lost in the antipodes

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Being born in Australia does not make one a citizen, I think it did at one point in the past but not sure how long ago it changed.
People born in Australia prior to 20 August 1986 were automatically citizens at birth. People born on or after that date require at least one parent to be a Permanent Resident (or Citizen) to receive Australian citizenship at birth.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the clarification everybody. Looks like we will go for Spouse visa off the bat then
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification everybody. Looks like we will go for Spouse visa off the bat then
Short (financial) term pain for long term gain.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Short (financial) term pain for long term gain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.