Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane - Queries over Visa Options

Moving to Brisbane - Queries over Visa Options

Old Nov 25th 2015, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

MC1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane - Queries over Visa Options

Hi everyone,

My name's Mark, 26 years old and I'm moving to Brisbane next year on a working holiday visa. It's very nice to meet you all.

A little background, I've actually wanted to move to Australia since I was about 19 or so, but never really reached for it properly until this year when I looked into visas, locations to move and all the options I had available. I work as an accounts assistant in an accountancy firm, so essentially I'm a trainee accountant and hope to be promoted to an accounts senior soon. This is one tier under the job occupation of an accountant. I'm learning level 3 AAT and potentially might look to complete both Level 3 and 4 before I leave next October.

The main issues I've found have been around Visas. Myself personally I like to know my options in advance so I'm aware of what they are and plan ahead, such as what I'm doing here before I go. I spoke to a migration agent in May and due to the fact I wasn't specifically in an accountant role and my CV is generalised and not specific he believed it would be hard to apply for any permanent residency. Since then, I applied for the working holiday visa and was successful but would like to make the move permanent once the holiday visa is complete.

I'd just like to know what my best options would be at this point if possible?

I've tried to discuss the issue with the visa bureau recently but yet again because I wasn't specifically an accountant, they wouldn't discuss any options which felt frustrating because it stopped me dead there. I understand why they would have done this but it still doesn't help myself.

Is it just the case, I go on the visa, improve my CV as much as possible and look for sponsorship and work hard whilst out in Australia?

With family currently residing in Adelaide, potentially moving to Sydney, would a family sponsored visa be an option?

Would I have to complete specific education training around accountancy in Australia (limited to 4 months on the working holiday visa) plus a placement to increase my points to help my application?

My apologies if this comes across a little long winded, I've tried to discuss these types of issues with an agent before but because it's a very straight subject, I don't know what holes I would need to do to get from A to B, or to go from semi relocated to permanent and I've found it frustrating somewhat.

I've spoken to AAT and they've advised to complete their courses and that should be sufficient to gain a sponsored placement comfortably, but then the advice from the migration agent has been completely different and advised against what AAT in Australia have advised so I just don't really feel sure what the options are.

If anyone could possibly advise on this subject I would be very grateful.

Kind regards,

Mark.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane - Queries over Visa Options

Hi Mark and Welcome to BE.

I have moved this to the immi forum for you. Hopefully you will get some answers soon.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 3:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MC1989
Hi everyone,

My name's Mark, 26 years old and I'm moving to Brisbane next year on a working holiday visa. It's very nice to meet you all.
No, you will be holidaying in Australia with the ability to work for a year. A WHV does not allow you to "move" to Australia.
A little background, I've actually wanted to move to Australia since I was about 19 or so, but never really reached for it properly until this year when I looked into visas, locations to move and all the options I had available. I work as an accounts assistant in an accountancy firm, so essentially I'm a trainee accountant and hope to be promoted to an accounts senior soon. This is one tier under the job occupation of an accountant. I'm learning level 3 AAT and potentially might look to complete both Level 3 and 4 before I leave next October.
So, you're a bookkeeper?
The main issues I've found have been around Visas. Myself personally I like to know my options in advance so I'm aware of what they are and plan ahead, such as what I'm doing here before I go. I spoke to a migration agent in May and due to the fact I wasn't specifically in an accountant role and my CV is generalised and not specific he believed it would be hard to apply for any permanent residency. Since then, I applied for the working holiday visa and was successful but would like to make the move permanent once the holiday visa is complete.
Unless you have a skill on the SOL or CSOL you cannot apply for a skilled permanent visa. End of. So...no matter how you fix up your CV, unless you have the qualification to pass the skills assessment as an accountant you won't be applying for a visa as an accountant.I'd just like to know what my best options would be at this point if possible?
Go to uni, get a degree then try once you are able to pass the skills assessment.
I've tried to discuss the issue with the visa bureau recently but yet again because I wasn't specifically an accountant, they wouldn't discuss any options which felt frustrating because it stopped me dead there. I understand why they would have done this but it still doesn't help myself.
Already explained above
Is it just the case, I go on the visa, improve my CV as much as possible and look for sponsorship and work hard whilst out in Australia?
Nope. Unless you have a skill that is on the list you won't be getting a visa. In order for an employer to sponsor you they would need to show that you are more skilled than a candidate already here. See above for what you need to do to get the skilled visa.
With family currently residing in Adelaide, potentially moving to Sydney, would a family sponsored visa be an option?
Not unless that family is a defacto or a wife/husband.
Would I have to complete specific education training around accountancy in Australia (limited to 4 months on the working holiday visa) plus a placement to increase my points to help my application?
Not unless you can get an accountancy degree in 4 months.
My apologies if this comes across a little long winded, I've tried to discuss these types of issues with an agent before but because it's a very straight subject, I don't know what holes I would need to do to get from A to B, or to go from semi relocated to permanent and I've found it frustrating somewhat.
Outlined above
I've spoken to AAT and they've advised to complete their courses and that should be sufficient to gain a sponsored placement comfortably, but then the advice from the migration agent has been completely different and advised against what AAT in Australia have advised so I just don't really feel sure what the options are.
AAT is a training organisation. They want your money. Speak to a MARA registered migration agent for information on how to obtain a visa.
If anyone could possibly advise on this subject I would be very grateful.

Kind regards,

Mark.
Answers above in red
Old Nov 26th 2015, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much as Dorothy.

To be eligible for a skilled visa or a sponsored visa, you would need an occupation on the SOL or the CSOL. So, in other words you would need to be a fully qualified accountant.

If you were to gain the necessary university degree and become an accountant, your chances of sponsorship would be extremely slim as there is a massive oversupply of accountants in Australia.

You could, in theory, once a fully qualified / university trained accountant, apply through the skilled route. However, because of the over supply of accountants it has been flagged for removal from the SOL list.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 12:10 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

As above - and just to strongly reiterate the massive oversupply of accounting graduates.

I know two recent graduates who are working as book keepers for around $40K which is very poor money in Brisbane - about $670 per week.

Best of luck - I think you'll need it!