Moving to Australia - Help

Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Barlowm1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Australia - Help

Hi Guys,

My husband and I for numerous reasons have decided that we would like to move to Australia, currently looking at somewhere between Brisbane and Gold Coast but we will be going out in March Next year to look at properties and search for Jobs etc....

However, first thing is first the hard part being accepted for residency. My Husband is a qualified NVQ level 3 Lift Engineer 12 years exp 7 years of which qualified.

We are looking to apply for a Visa 189 Skilled person, I am an insurance broker but have not done my exams and therefore on the point scoring system this cannot be used.

I am just looking for some guidance really, did people use agents if so who? And are they really worth the money and what sort of costs are we looking at?

Does he need to do an English exam?
Skills assessment - how difficult did people find this process?
Has anyone been rejected and could you kindly share your reason why?

We are looking to sell our house rent initially and then look at buying somewhere once we settle in, but for the time being we're estimating moving out there sometime in 2019 so we allow ourselves enough time to get everything processed is this a fair timescale?

If anyone could kindly share their stories and help I would really really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance, Maddie x
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:24 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Australia - Help

Originally Posted by Barlowm1688
Hi Guys,

My husband and I for numerous reasons have decided that we would like to move to Australia, currently looking at somewhere between Brisbane and Gold Coast but we will be going out in March Next year to look at properties and search for Jobs etc....

However, first thing is first the hard part being accepted for residency. My Husband is a qualified NVQ level 3 Lift Engineer 12 years exp 7 years of which qualified.

We are looking to apply for a Visa 189 Skilled person, I am an insurance broker but have not done my exams and therefore on the point scoring system this cannot be used.

I am just looking for some guidance really, did people use agents if so who? And are they really worth the money and what sort of costs are we looking at?

Does he need to do an English exam?
Skills assessment - how difficult did people find this process?
Has anyone been rejected and could you kindly share your reason why?

We are looking to sell our house rent initially and then look at buying somewhere once we settle in, but for the time being we're estimating moving out there sometime in 2019 so we allow ourselves enough time to get everything processed is this a fair timescale?

If anyone could kindly share their stories and help I would really really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance, Maddie x
Some people use an agent (and if you do make sure they are MARA registered) - and some people don't. They tend to be more often recommended where you do not have a straight forward application for whatever reason (past convictions, medical issues, etc). Other than that, if you are organised, you can do everything yourself and even when you employ an agent, you still have to do much of the work.

I checked the skills list, and I assume you are looking to apply under Lift Mechanic? If so Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) will have all the info needed for the skills assessment on their website including up to date costs. Since everyone has different occupations, the assessment process varies even amongst trade occupations. EG sparkies are required to undertake a self assessment, a qualification and experience check, then a written and practical test - all of which is straight forward but most people get some wobbles with the theory and practical part.

If your husband is a UK citizen, then the need to undertake the English exam is if points are required. Trade qualifications are only worth 10 points, and 7 years qualified experience is also 10 points (although that will go up to 15 when he reaches 8 years).

And yes, some people are not successful. Skills lists change, and peoples occupations get removed before they get an invite. Or due to limited places, they can get in the EOI pool but not get selected due to insufficient points. Shouldn't be an issue with lift mechanic.

Other reasons are medical issues and character checks - if either of these are an issue, again it is recommended you consult a MARA agent. Over claiming points would be another reason to fail - everything you claim has to be verifiable.

But DIBP do not reject applications without cause, so if you get an invite and meet the criteria, points are verifiable and health and character good there is no reason you would not get the visa.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your comments,

It seems everything is just money money and not even small amounts for the TRA assessment it's $1000 plus visa English test etc 🙈🙈

Just on the character reference is this the form you are referring to or does someone like friend / colleague need to provide this?

Yeah he is a Lift Mechanic we are hoping we can get him a job via personal contacts and then get sponsorship I don't think he is too keen on the English exam but if not the Skilled Visa it is. Yes both UK born and bred.

Thank you for all your help...do you recommend areas to live between Brisbane and Gold Coast? X
Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems everything is just money money and not even small amounts for the TRA assessment it's $1000 plus visa English test etc � ����� ����

Just on the character reference is this the form you are referring to or does someone like friend / colleague need to provide this?

Yeah he is a Lift Mechanic we are hoping we can get him a job via personal contacts and then get sponsorship I don't think he is too keen on the English exam but if not the Skilled Visa it is. Yes both UK born and bred.

Thank you for all your help...do you recommend areas to live between Brisbane and Gold Coast? X
Considering what is going on with the temp visa at the moment, I would advise against sponsored visa, unless you meant State Sponsored. I think 189 is the way to go if you are planning to shift here permanently. There is no guarantee that your temp visa will turn into PR. No need to worry too much about the English test, I am not even a native speaker and I was able to get 7 in all 4 bands twice. You just need to prepare well for the test and understand the format.

Last edited by giri26; Apr 25th 2017 at 11:26 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 3:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

It seems everything is just money money and not even small amounts for the TRA assessment it's $1000 plus visa English test etc � ����� ����

Be grateful it is only a standard trade assessment - the licensed trades (of which sparkies is one) is over $2200!

The English test is not too bad, as it is basic skills. Google should be able to find some practice IELTS - and remember, you only need to do the test as a UK citizen / passport holder if you need the points.
Old May 2nd 2017, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Hiya,

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced migration agent?

Thank you,

Maddie
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:51 am

Hiya,

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced migration agent?

Thank you,

Maddie
The ones usually recommended are those who post here - TeeTMI (Taylor Made Immigration) or Alan Collett (Go Matilda). Not sure of costs though. If using google to find an agent, make sure they are MARA registered though.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 7:01 am
Just Joined

jay86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm a Lift engineer in the UK too, did your husband have to do the offshore assessment under general electrician?