Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Is a migration agent needed if applying for rsms visa?

Is a migration agent needed if applying for rsms visa?

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is a migration agent needed if applying for rsms visa?

After going to the Leeds expo and speaking with the murray regional board it appears that if my husband gets a job offer from the company he has applied to (they have asked for further information on top of cv so hoping that is a good thing). That we would be eligable for a rsms visa.
So is this a straight forward visa or would it be best to have an agent?
How long on average does the visa take and how much would it cost for the visa?

Mandy
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:23 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a migration agent needed if applying for rsms visa?

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
After going to the Leeds expo and speaking with the murray regional board it appears that if my husband gets a job offer from the company he has applied to (they have asked for further information on top of cv so hoping that is a good thing). That we would be eligable for a rsms visa.
So is this a straight forward visa or would it be best to have an agent?
How long on average does the visa take and how much would it cost for the visa?

Mandy
Hi Mandy

I didnt use an agent for my RSMS but then my employer sponsors people from overseas regularly and so is familiar with the processes and paperwork required. It really depends on whether the company who is willing to sponsor your husband knows what they are doing. They may want to use an agent to complete whole process as there are several stages to an RSMS - which all need to be right in terms of the paperwork and then you will both still have to pass character checks and medicals (and any children depending on ages).

Stages are briefly:-

1. Regional Certifying Body assesses job nomination and that qualification etc meet required level.
2. Nomination if approved by RCB is submitted to immigration for approval.
3. Visa application submitted.

Also RSMS visa's are less common than other visa type's and so if you decide to use an agent make sure you get one who has experience in this type of visa - you could try asking one of the agents on this forum - if they cant help themselves the will surely know someone who can. George Lombard and Alan Collett are both very helpful IMO.

Cost and timescale - well initial visa application fee for RSMS is $1420 - I think there will be a second installment to pay in cases were more than one person over 18 is incuded in application but I'm not sure. Timescale depends on which Business Centre processes your application - this is determined by the state in which the companies head office is located. I lodged at Parramatta and got my visa in under 3 weeks - others who lodged at Brisbane have been waiting over 4 months and have not heard anything.

I'm not an expert - just speaking from my own experience. I would start by looking at Booklet 5 on the DIAC website and forms 1054 and 47es which are the nomination and application forms - this will give you a better idea of whats required. www.immi.gov.au

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a migration agent needed if applying for rsms visa?

Thank you ponyrama for the information. Makes things a little clearer.
Hopefully we will find out soon if the employer wants to sponsor my OH.
Mandy