Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Likely Pass and Pool Marks from 1 September

Likely Pass and Pool Marks from 1 September

Old May 7th 2007, 11:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Likely Pass and Pool Marks from 1 September

Originally Posted by andysarah
Does anyone know if any of these changes will be affecting the employer nominated visas?
No!

Hubby is a nurse and we are looking at being sponsored on a 457 then will be nominated for PR by the hospital via the ENS scheme after 3 - 6 months. We had been keen on this as it means we will be there faster and can wait for our visa in Oz rather than here. We had already decided to go on a 457 even if PR wasn't/isn't granted rather than have never gone and then regretted it, so have accepted the risks.

Why not get them to sponsor you for ENS straight away and forget the 457?
Old May 8th 2007, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

mango4 will become famous soon enough

Hi

Thanks for this information. With regards to the relative sponsorship, have I read it correctly that this is now 25 points, or is this only if sponsor is in designated area.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2007, 2:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mango4
Thanks for this information. With regards to the relative sponsorship, have I read it correctly that this is now 25 points, or is this only if sponsor is in designated area.
Where does your 25 points come from?

Beware trying to read too much detail into announcements. The details will only be known when the legislation is published - months away!
Old May 8th 2007, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

hi

I went onto the link that George put on this thread, it is on the points calculator.
Old May 8th 2007, 5:16 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mango4
Hi

Thanks
Hi Mango,

I think they've reduced the points for a sponsored non-regional visa to 100 rather than award points for the sponsorship for that visa, the new subclass 176 visa. The 25 points in that list would apply to the new 475 visa.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old May 8th 2007, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi George

Thankyou for your reply. Do you think they have taken all the sponsorship points off for the new 176 visa...and that is why the pass mark has reduced?

thanks
Old May 8th 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

George,

I remember in the Birrel report that to claim an extra 5 points in Community languages, you could have a bachelor degree, say in Chinese, which would give you these points.

The report recommended that this be changed, with the points only being granted if they pass the translator test. IS this being implemented?

Casey
Old May 8th 2007, 8:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
I have been able to confirm those pass and pool marks as accurate. There are some further policy developments:

allowing GSM applicants to include their interdependent partner in their application;

removing Assurance of Support provisions from GSM visas;

removing the SSASSL;

awarding points for sponsorship by a relative in a designated area;

removing points for Capital Investment;

clarifying the two year study rule;

removing requirement for 2nd stage sponsorship or nomination for provisional visa holders;

extending the English language concession;

opening up access to RSMS for provisional visa holders .

I hope to have this and further supporting information accessible in the next couple of hours. In the meantime, watch this space.

Cheers,

George Lombard
For further information, please see the attached Powerpoint document - hope to have a Word version available later.
The information in it has been verified by Canberra as correct at this time.

Edited to add Word version - both essentially the same, pick whichever you find easier
Attached Files
File Type: ppt
Changes2GSM.PPT (314.5 KB, 536 views)
File Type: doc
Changes2GSM ppt.doc (1.04 MB, 337 views)

Last edited by Pollyana; May 11th 2007 at 12:25 pm.
Old May 8th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

andysarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
No!

Why not get them to sponsor you for ENS straight away and forget the 457?
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. Having looked into the job situation it seems as if most of the hospitals are only doing it this way and this is advertised on their careers websites etc for overseas nurses but i agree with you. Once hubby is offered a job that he wants we are definately going to ask the question, can't hurt!
Old May 8th 2007, 10:09 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by googy
George,

I remember in the Birrel report that to claim an extra 5 points in Community languages, you could have a bachelor degree, say in Chinese, which would give you these points.

The report recommended that this be changed, with the points only being granted if they pass the translator test. IS this being implemented?

Casey
Hi Casey,

Read the powerpoint presentation and pray. No other information available except those lucky lawyers who got to see the presentation presented last week. But I have to say that Bob Birrell won't be happy with everything in the changes, don't think he got it all his own way. That being said, I think the NAATI test is the only objective test of this particular quality, it can be hard to identify the language of instruction in many situations.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old May 8th 2007, 11:34 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by andysarah
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. Having looked into the job situation it seems as if most of the hospitals are only doing it this way and this is advertised on their careers websites etc for overseas nurses but i agree with you. Once hubby is offered a job that he wants we are definately going to ask the question, can't hurt!
Many hospitals will sponsor for a permanent visa if they know you are going to refuse the job otherwise. Obviously you need to be willing to walk away from the deal in that case, but if you look hard enough you ought to find a willing employer (seems to be a serious problem in QLD).
Old May 8th 2007, 11:41 am
Just Joined

tweddells is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
I have been able to confirm those pass and pool marks as accurate. There are some further policy developments:

allowing GSM applicants to include their interdependent partner in their application;

removing Assurance of Support provisions from GSM visas;

removing the SSASSL;

awarding points for sponsorship by a relative in a designated area;

removing points for Capital Investment;

clarifying the two year study rule;

removing requirement for 2nd stage sponsorship or nomination for provisional visa holders;

extending the English language concession;

opening up access to RSMS for provisional visa holders .

I hope to have this and further supporting information accessible in the next couple of hours. In the meantime, watch this space.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Hi George,
Does this mean that SIR visa holders applying for 2nd stage/permanent STNI visa's wont have to get state sponsorship again?
Old May 8th 2007, 11:53 am
Just Joined

dayank will become famous soon enoughdayank will become famous soon enough

Many thanks for the posts and updates - I am also very keen to find out what the changes will be.

Does anybody have further information regarding the two year study rule? I have noticed in the powerpoint slides that there was no mention of "full time study" and does not state the length of the course as opposed to the number of months that studies must be completed by. My course is 1.5 years long but I had extended it for an extra semester, so that I will actually finish my degree in 2 years (I was working in the last two semesters and didn't want to overload myself with both school work and work work).

There has been some discrepancy with what my friends were told by migration agents regarding this aspect of the two year study rule - would appreciate if anybody has some insight on this or can clarify this rule.

Cheers
Old May 8th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

jimbono05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: "removing points for Capital Investment"....

...does that mean you can no longer make 5 pts by investing $100,000?

I cant believe that I was on 115pts before this rule change inc. investment and now after hopefully getting the crucial magic 5pts via the English test to make 120pts....it's been snatched away again by removing the Capital Investment points.....damn!!!
Old May 8th 2007, 1:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbono05
Re: "removing points for Capital Investment"....

...does that mean you can no longer make 5 pts by investing $100,000?

I cant believe that I was on 115pts before this rule change inc. investment and now after hopefully getting the crucial magic 5pts via the English test to make 120pts....it's been snatched away again by removing the Capital Investment points.....damn!!!
Thats the way it reads to me, yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.