British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Leaving Australia without an RRV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/leaving-australia-without-rrv-902784/)

spence501 Sep 2nd 2017 2:46 am

Leaving Australia without an RRV

I've an elderly relative who's not doing too well back in the UK. It may be a matter of days unfortunately.

My PR expired earlier this year I'll need an RRV if I need to make a trip back of the worst happens. My question is do I need the visa before I leave Australia or can I leave and come back once it's granted. Had a quick look on border.gov and it says most applications are granted in 6 days.

Pollyana Sep 2nd 2017 5:24 am

Re: Leaving Australia without an RRV

Originally Posted by spence501 (Post 12329704)
I've an elderly relative who's not doing too well back in the UK. It may be a matter of days unfortunately.

My PR expired earlier this year I'll need an RRV if I need to make a trip back of the worst happens. My question is do I need the visa before I leave Australia or can I leave and come back once it's granted. Had a quick look on border.gov and it says most applications are granted in 6 days.

You can apply offshore, or you can apply onshore and it can be granted when you are offshore.

carcajou Sep 2nd 2017 5:27 am

I believe you can also apply on-line, $300 or $400.

I would do it today.

Most are granted in less than 6 days.

Pollyana Sep 2nd 2017 6:12 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12329743)
I believe you can also apply on-line, $300 or $400.

I would do it today.

Most are granted in less than 6 days.

Thats the usual way to do it now, however I think the OP was wondering whether they have to be onshore or offshore - can make a difference even to an online application. In this case though it doesn't matter.

BritInParis Sep 2nd 2017 9:07 am

Better to apply now onshore. Consider Australian citizenship on your return (cheaper than a RRV).

spence501 Sep 2nd 2017 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12329742)
You can apply offshore, or you can apply onshore and it can be granted when you are offshore.

Thanks for your reply I was hoping this was the case 🙂

spence501 Sep 2nd 2017 9:28 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12329800)
Better to apply now onshore. Consider Australian citizenship on your return (cheaper than a RRV).

That's my plan eventually. Haven't been here long enough to qualify for citizenship yet 👍

Keekey Dec 6th 2017 8:24 am

Hi, it would be really helpful if you could share your experience. Were you able to apply for an RRV while onshore, and then return with the grant without any hassles? Please let me know as I am facing a similar situation with my flight scheduled tomorrow and not having a grant in hand.

spence501 Dec 7th 2017 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Keekey (Post 12394722)
Hi, it would be really helpful if you could share your experience. Were you able to apply for an RRV while onshore, and then return with the grant without any hassles? Please let me know as I am facing a similar situation with my flight scheduled tomorrow and not having a grant in hand.

Hi there, as it turned out I never went back. Couldn't get enough time off work to be sure visa would be granted before I returned so I made the choice to remain in Australia unfortunately

carcajou Dec 7th 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by spence501 (Post 12395176)
Hi there, as it turned out I never went back. Couldn't get enough time off work to be sure visa would be granted before I returned so I made the choice to remain in Australia unfortunately

Surely by now though you have applied for and received your RRV?

astera Dec 7th 2017 9:41 pm

Is the RRV a formality or are they picky about any particular details?

We're considering a move back to the Gold Coast but with my wife's PR expiring in a couple of months we feel like we're dealing with a countdown timer over our heads.

Would a RRV be relatively easy to secure, allowing us some breathing space to plan things out?

carcajou Dec 8th 2017 8:27 am

Originally Posted by astera (Post 12395732)
Is the RRV a formality or are they picky about any particular details?

We're considering a move back to the Gold Coast but with my wife's PR expiring in a couple of months we feel like we're dealing with a countdown timer over our heads.

Would a RRV be relatively easy to secure, allowing us some breathing space to plan things out?

If you meet criteria (two years in-country) it is very easy to get and you can apply on-line.

Don't put it off.

astera Dec 8th 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12395900)
If you meet criteria (two years in-country) it is very easy to get and you can apply on-line.

Don't put it off.

Unfortunately we're looking at a stay of around 14 months. Does that mean the 155 is off the table? Or does this somehow help: "We also take into account living in Australia for a substantial period of time or living overseas with an Australian citizen partner"

If the 157 is the only option then is it going to look bad if it is applied for like 2-3 years after leaving Australia?

louie Dec 9th 2017 11:18 am

With an Aussie spouse, a one year RRV should be easy enough to secure.