Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Is Kiwi NZQA recognised in Australia or do I still need to do TRA??

Is Kiwi NZQA recognised in Australia or do I still need to do TRA??

Old Sep 16th 2016, 9:53 am
Just Joined

ukkiwioz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Kiwi NZQA recognised in Australia or do I still need to do TRA??

Hey guys , first post so be gentle! I am a UK citizen, been in kiwiland for 6 years now, looking at heading over to ozzy on a 189 skilled migration visa with either my UK electrical Certificate or my kiwi carpentry qualification... Im guessing the kiwi one could be easier as it is NZQA and I have been told the qualification is recognised.... Can I find anyone to ask.... can I .... .. Anyways, im reaching out into the wilderness and asking for anyones wisdom!!

Much appreciated!

Simon
Old Sep 16th 2016, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Kiwi NZQA recognised in Australia or do I still need to do TRA??

Each occupation has a designated skills assessor that you must use.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 12:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukkiwioz
Hey guys , first post so be gentle! I am a UK citizen, been in kiwiland for 6 years now, looking at heading over to ozzy on a 189 skilled migration visa with either my UK electrical Certificate or my kiwi carpentry qualification... Im guessing the kiwi one could be easier as it is NZQA and I have been told the qualification is recognised.... Can I find anyone to ask.... can I .... .. Anyways, im reaching out into the wilderness and asking for anyones wisdom!!

Much appreciated!

Simon
old.sparkles would be the one to help with recognition. I believe there is some cross Tasman thing where your kiwi qualification might be recognised for licensing.
However, in order to qualify for a visa you still need to get a skills assessment, so check out the SOL and see what is required for that- the two, being licensed and getting a skills assessment, are totally different things.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 11:29 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a UK passport holder, then both occupations would be assessed under the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (see here - http://www.tradesrecognitionaustrali...20summary.aspx)

Most typically, this would be done by Vetassess, but can also be assessed by Victoria University or Future Skills.

Vetassess is here - https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...de-occupations - and has lots of useful information.

If you hold an NZ license then this can be recognised by the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement which would allow you to do a modified skills assessment if you obtain an Australian license by this process first.

Otherwise, both occupations would have the same path for the skills assessment - tradeset report, evaluation of qualification and experience, and practical skills assessment so you need to figure out which occupation you can pass the skills assessment in, and if this is both then look to see which occupation would get you the most points for DIBP maybe. With only trade qualifications, unless sitting IELTS for the points, you will need experience points to reach the required points total I would think.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 8:26 am
Just Joined

great thanks for your replies.... Just confusing finding out of anyone if I actually need to do a skills assessment or not... even my migration agent isnt sure... I just dont want to jump in with the costs if there going to say theres no need...

Thanks anyway!
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

great thanks for your replies.... Just confusing finding out of anyone if I actually need to do a skills assessment or not... even my migration agent isnt sure... I just dont want to jump in with the costs if there going to say theres no need...

Thanks anyway!
A skills assessment is essential for all skilled migrant visa applicants without exception.

If your migration agent is not sure then seriously you need to find a new one because this is about the most basic piece of information about that visa that I can think of.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 9:02 am
Just Joined

The 'problem' appears to be that its a NZ qualification and its confusing regarding the trans tasman agrrement whether I need to get it assessed or not
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The 'problem' appears to be that its a NZ qualification and its confusing regarding the trans tasman agrrement whether I need to get it assessed or not
Have you read the post above by Old Sparkles? She has covered off that point.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 9:51 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Much appreciated!

Simon
Have you considered getting NZ citizenship (which on the basis of your above post you are eligible for), then coming over here on the TR444 visa and applying for PR once you're here?
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If your migration agent is not sure then seriously you need to find a new one because this is about the most basic piece of information about that visa that I can think of.
Ditto

A skills assessment is a requirement for a 189 visa.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Have you considered getting NZ citizenship (which on the basis of your above post you are eligible for), then coming over here on the TR444 visa and applying for PR once you're here?
A NZ citizen still needs to be eligible for a visa there is no automatic route from a SC444 to Australian PR (there are a couple of exemptions made in some situations and a new pathway next year but the OP would not be eligible for that).