Just sh*t myself !!!!!!! Help !

Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice
Default Just sh*t myself !!!!!!! Help !

Hello,

Can anyone help me ?

We had to validate on a 5 year PR visa 136 in June 2007 and as I was on a long term contract here in teh UK cam be back, we've been trying to sell the house for a year with no luck. My question ...

We had thought that as we validated before the July 2007 threshold we would be able to apply for citizenship after two years in the country but we aim to go out permanently (renting our house here ) in March 2009. I've just re-read this area on Dimia and it says.........

If people became permanent residents before 1 July 2007 and apply before 30 June 2010, they must have been physically present in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of two years in the five years before applying, including one year in the two years before applying.

I had previously thought that we only had to be physically in the country for 12 months of the two years validated PR status to apply, and if so being out in Aus by 30 June 2009 wold enable us to meet that criteria.

can anybody clarify for me, any help would be great
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just sh*t myself !!!!!!! Help !

Originally Posted by martynm
Hello,

Can anyone help me ?

We had to validate on a 5 year PR visa 136 in June 2007 and as I was on a long term contract here in teh UK cam be back, we've been trying to sell the house for a year with no luck. My question ...

We had thought that as we validated before the July 2007 threshold we would be able to apply for citizenship after two years in the country but we aim to go out permanently (renting our house here ) in March 2009. I've just re-read this area on Dimia and it says.........

If people became permanent residents before 1 July 2007 and apply before 30 June 2010, they must have been physically present in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of two years in the five years before applying, including one year in the two years before applying.

I had previously thought that we only had to be physically in the country for 12 months of the two years validated PR status to apply, and if so being out in Aus by 30 June 2009 wold enable us to meet that criteria.

can anybody clarify for me, any help would be great
No, you have to be physically in Australia for a total of 2 years.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, you won't be eligible for citizenship until about 3 years after you move out there, depending on how much of the time after you move you spend outside Oz.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Thanks very much for the clarification.

I think that we will need to apply for an RRV then right ?

Especially if planning to apply for citizenship ?

Thanks, Martyn.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:05 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martynm
Thanks very much for the clarification.

I think that we will need to apply for an RRV then right ?

Especially if planning to apply for citizenship ?

Thanks, Martyn.
After your 136 expires, you may apply for an RRV, conditions permitting. One of the eligibility criteria is spending 2 years in Australia, the other is "close ties". If you can not show either, you may not be able to return back if you travel overseas.

NJ
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

If you validated in June 2007, you must have at least until June 2011 before the 5 years reentry visa expires, so if you go out in March 2009 you are unlikely to have a problem getting a RRV, but yes you will need one eventually as NJ confirms unless you don't need to travel abroad after the reentry visa expires but before you take out citizenship.