Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Melbourne What Visa do I need?

Job Offer in Melbourne What Visa do I need?

Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

delta72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer in Melbourne What Visa do I need?

Hi Need some help been offered a job in Melbourne but do not know what visa I need.
I am 45 years old and will be going over first then I will bring my wife and kids over.
Its a carpentry/Joiner job for £70,000 a year with tools,overtime and van provided.
Does this job sound to good to be true?And what is the likelyhood of me getting a visa and being able to stay in oz once my visa has run out?
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Melbourne What Visa do I need?

If your potential employer isn't arranging your visa for you then that should give you pause for thought.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

delta72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If your potential employer isn't arranging your visa for you then that should give you pause for thought.
Thats what I thought.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Does the employer know that you are not an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident?

If yes, and they are not offering to sort your temporary work visa - this is not a road that you want to go down. If you are caught working illegally in Australia, you will be deported and receive a ban.

If the company is not going to be forthright and do your visa properly, what else are they not going to be forthright and proper about?
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Even if they do arrange a visa, it would be a 457 visa which is a temporary visa with a lot of catches and because of your age, you would not be eligible to stay beyond as the age cut off has now reduced to 45
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto re the visas - unless they are going to get you a temporary visa for you and the whole family, forget it.

I assume you mean $70k not £ in which case that's a very ordinary wage and is that inclusive of superannuation? A family is going to struggle on that and be aware that you would get no help with child care at all on a temp visa and your wife could struggle to find work as the dependent of a temporary visa holder.

Take the promise of overtime and bonuses with a large pinch of salt, they often don't materialise and some folk have discovered to their cost that they never get beyond their probation period and have to leave.

I would be viewing this one with a good deal of caution tbh