ive got a criminal record

Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:22 am
Just Joined

so.dizzy will become famous soon enough
Default ive got a criminal record

ive got a criminal record and im realy worried<< number 1 a drunk driving offence,, took boyfriends car whilst pissed for a wynd up didnt plan to actually go anywere was only a learner driver as soon as i could i parked the car and walked home but hit a parked car trying to park.. bfriend went ape so cops were called,, and well i got arrested and the rest is history got a fine and ban for 18 months.. not one of my better decisions,,, and then before that a drugs charge,, well nothing that big a possesion,, and got admonished at court.. the most worrying one though is when i left my son at home asleep when he was three to go and collect a debt it was late at night..i know it was such a big mistake,, but my mate had a night job and we were skint about to run out of power,, card meter,,,winter and freezing and i knew she was getting payed and was giving me the run around..we had a buzzer entry at my flat and i didnt think anyone would apear anyhoo someone came to door unexpectedly, and cops were called when son couldnt open door and in house alone,, i was arrested for abandoment and got a right hard time from social services.. but was given a deffered sentence at court,, no more than i deserved ,, but i have been a model citizen since. it was all more than ten, for dd and twelve years ago for abandoment charge,, but it has all shown up on my police report and looks terrible,, i feel distraught,,, can anyone reasure me there may be a chance of us getting a visa??? my hubby is squeeky clean and i feel like a real bonny parker (a real crim)...please help with actual experience replies if you can,, send private message if youd rather be descrete... although any input will be appreciated cheers...... dizzy ps.. no offence please dont ask me to speak to an agent,, ive already done that they said not to worry but they wont be paying for my visa and vetassess if it is refused.....

Last edited by so.dizzy; Oct 24th 2008 at 12:36 am.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:30 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ive got a criminal record

Originally Posted by so.dizzy
ive got a criminal record and im realy worried<< number 1 a drunk driving offence,, took boyfriends car whilst pissed for a wynd up didnt plan to actually go anywere was only a learner driver as soon as i could i parked the car and walked home but hit a parked car trying to park.. bfriend went ape so cops were called,, and well i got arrested and the rest is history got a fine and ban for 18 months.. not one of my better decisions,,, and then before that a drugs charge well nothing big a possesion and got admonished.. the most worrying one though is when i left my son at home asleep when he was three to go and collect a debt it was late at night..i know it was such a big mistake,, but my mate had a night job and we were skint about to run out of power,, card meter,,,winter and freezing and i knew she was getting payed..we had a buzzer entry at my flat and i didnt think anyone would apear anyhoo someone came to door unexpected and cops were called when son couldnt open door,, i was arrested for abandoment and got a right hard time from social services.. but was given a deffered sentence at court,, no more than i deserved realy,, but i have been a model citizen since. it was all more than ten, twelve years ago,, but it has all shown up on my police report and looks terrible,, i feel distraught,,, can anyone reasure me there may be a chance of us getting a visa??? my hubby is squeeky clean and i feel like a real crim...please help with actual experience replies if you can,, or send private message if youd rather be descrete... although any input will be appreciated cheers...... dizzy
You will find that there are others on here that have had their time with the law. I think you would be best spending your time and effort speaking with a proper migration consultant, such as GoMatilda, to figure out how and if this will effect your visa application.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

With moderator's hat off now I'm going to suggest you stop minimising your previous criminal record. All 3 of the things you describe are not minor incidents, nor should they be trivialised. I'm not sure if you actually served any prison time, but that would affect your changes. If you want to be successful with your visa application you will need to be truly remorseful and supply DIAC with a detailed letter explaining the circumstances of your crime, how you have changed your ways/ why you won't offend again and probably references from respected members of the community.

Busterboy has given some good advice about speaking to a reputable agent, such as George Lombard or Go Matilda. Like you said, you already spoke to an agent, but if it were me I would get a second opinion.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mods hat off here too.
You need to speak to a reputable agent who has experience with applicants with records. They will know the best way to lay out the facts for DIAC, and they will know the best way to go about getting character references. The onus will be on you to convince DIAC that you won't reoffend, especially in areas like those you outlined above. Be prepared to pay for help of this kind too.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely having a criminal record makes you more 'Australian'?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Surely having a criminal record makes you more 'Australian'?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:36 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Smile Re: ive got a criminal record

I got a two criminal records and they still let me in! They where both over twenty years ago thou'. But to make you feel better they where for robbing some house (technically burglary I think) and Affray... Both serious offences, but I was 15 and 21 at the time.

So the longer you have manage to avoid getting caught for anything the better... Just kidding...

the point I'm making is, it's not as bad as what you might think. After all look at all the corruption in the US government! rofl... and there a respectable organisation!

No seriously I think you will get in, just make sure you get the paper work spot on....

</IMG></IMG></IMG>
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

ps.. no offence please dont ask me to speak to an agent,, ive already done that they said not to worry but they wont be paying for my visa and vetassess if it is refused.....
Why would they pay if your application is refused? Thats not the point of an agent. We all pay for our own applications and if they are refused the money is still taken, just one of the many chances you take moving to Australia - and as OP have said all 3 offences you have described aren't trivial. You may need character references from someone of goodstanding and maybe something from yourself to say you will no longer do drugs, drink drive or leave your children at home on their own.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
With moderator's hat off now I'm going to suggest you stop minimising your previous criminal record. All 3 of the things you describe are not minor incidents, nor should they be trivialised. I'm not sure if you actually served any prison time, but that would affect your changes. If you want to be successful with your visa application you will need to be truly remorseful and supply DIAC with a detailed letter explaining the circumstances of your crime, how you have changed your ways/ why you won't offend again and probably references from respected members of the community.

Busterboy has given some good advice about speaking to a reputable agent, such as George Lombard or Go Matilda. Like you said, you already spoke to an agent, but if it were me I would get a second opinion.
just so we are clear for those of you who feel they have the right to judge me<<,, i have at no point in my post said that my criminal actions were trivial in the least,, ive already explained how distraught i am at the moment and not because it has come back to haunt me in a police check,, I cant say how very awfull a time i went through when these things happened i was totaly ashamed then and still to this day,, i was very honest with the police when i was charged with the d,d, about hitting the parked car in that incident they would not of known this if id not given them this information i took full responsibility at the time,,I took a guilty plee for all these offences and will always feel ashamed of my actions,, leaving my son home alone was the most stupid thing anyone could ever do,, even though i was a single parent who was about to do without heat and food for the next week if i didnt chase up the so called friend who owed me money it was still the wrong decision but watching your kidd go hungry or cold isnt a pleasent experience either,,, i was not off in a nice restraunt having drinks and dinner,,and certainly was not invited to meet the pope afterwards,, you all know the case we are talking about,, i was treated like a monster and was totally ashamed throughout and as a result had my child taken in to care by social services, untill the case was resolved,, they found that i was a very good mother in a very difficult situation,, as for the drugs charge my sons father died and because it was a suspicioius death even though we were seperated for a year my house was searched they found a small amount of anphetamin,, (speed) in a pocket of a jacket which i hadnt worn for a number of years,, (incedentaly he died with pnumonia but as he collapsed in a stairwell with no witnesses hence they treated it as a suspicious death) mabey not all of you have had misspent youths,, but most of us have done something that they are not exactly proud of or legal,,, never ran a red light or driven a few miles over the speed limit???,, had a glass over the limit at an office party??? not payed tv licence?? all criminal offences... i think you are judging me by your own standards because of the nature of the offences involved,, ive been very honest about what my offences were and went in to some detail in the hope id get an idea if someone has ever been in the same situation and managed to get a visa granted.. i thank those of you who have responded with kindness at the knowledge that they themselves have had criminal pasts..
or just understand we are not all perfect,,... and the visa agent comment well.. just so we are clear on that.. AGENTS THEMSELVES cannot grant you a visa no matter how good there advice is,, and we already know how much it bloody costs to submit an application.. hence the reason we dont want to go to all the expense if we dont have a chance... i thought this expat web site (which was recomended to me) is a place that keep people motivated,, a place to get some good advice,, share some of you and other peoples experiences and.. mabey give and get a little help for those who are struggling with the visa process..
but i think that only appplies to those of you who are not up front about your pasts or dont realy have one... anyone else will have judgment passed on them...
regards to all those who have given me some inspiration to keep going...
and a word of caution to all those who want to ask questions about visas or share aspects of there lives that have a more personel content on this web site..
DONT DO IT.. YOU WILL BE JUDGED REGARDLESS NO MATTER HOW WELL MEANING IT MAY SOUND..

AND WITHOUT SOUNDING OVERJOYED AT THE OUTCOME.. NO I DIDNT SERVE A PRISON SENTENCE FOR ANY OF THESE OFFENCES.. EXCEPT FOR A FINE AND A BAN FOR THE D.D ,, I WAS ADMONISHED FOR EVERYTHING ELSE ...LOOSING MY SON FOR A TIME WAS THE WORST PUNISHMENT THEY COULD INFLICT ON ME....

Last edited by so.dizzy; Oct 24th 2008 at 3:16 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

just so we are clear for those of you who feel they have the right to judge me<<,, i have at no point in my post said that my criminal actions were trivial in the least,, ive already explained how distraught i am at the moment and not because it has come back to haunt me in a police check,, I cant say how very awfull a time i went through when these things happened i was totaly ashamed then and still to this day,, i was very honest with the police when i was charged with the d,d, about hitting the parked car in that incident they would not of known this if id not given them this information i took full responsibility at the time,,I took a guilty plee for all these offences and will always feel ashamed of my actions,, leaving my son home alone was the most stupid thing anyone could ever do,, even though i was a single parent who was about to do without heat and food for the next week if i didnt chase up the so called friend who owed me money it was still the wrong decision but watching your kidd go hungry or cold isnt a pleasent experience either,,, i was not off in a nice restraunt having drinks and dinner,,and certainly was not invited to meet the pope afterwards,, you all know the case we are talking about,, i was treated like a monster and had my child was taken in to care by social services, untill the case was resolved,, they found that i was a very good mother in a very difficult situation,, as for the drugs charge my sons father died and because it was a suspicioius death even though we were seperated for a year my house was searched they found a small amount of anphetamin,, (speed) in a pocket of a jacket which i hadnt worn for a number of years,, (incedentaly he died with pnumonia but as he collapsed in a stairwell with no witnesses hence they treated it as a suspicious death) mabey not all of you have had misspent youths,, but most of us have done something that they are not exactly proud of or legal,,, never ran a red light or af few miles over the speed limit???,, had a glass over the limit at an office party??? i think you are judging me by your own standards because of the nature of the offences,, ive been very honest about what my offences were and went in to some detail in the hope to get an idea if someone has ever been in the same situation and managed to get a visa granted.. i thank those of you who have responded with kindness at the knowledge that they themselves have had criminal pasts..
or just understand we are not all perfect,, and the visa agent comment well.. just so we are clear on that.. AGENTS THEMSELVES cannot grant you a visa no matter how good there advice is,, and we already know how much it bloody costs to submit an application.. hence the reason we dont want to go to all the expense if we dont have a chance... i thought this expat web site(which was recomended to me) as a place that keep people motivated,, get some good advice,, share some other peoples experiences and mabey give a little hope to those who are struggling with the visa process..
but i think that only appplies to those of you who are not up front about your pasts or dont realy have one...
and a warning to all those who want to ask questions or share those more personal aspects of there lives regarding the visa process DONT..
AND NO I DIDNT SERVE A PRISON SENTENCE FOR ANY OF THESE OFFENCES.. EXCEPT FOR A FINE AND A BAN FOR THE D.D ,, I WAS ADMONISHED FOR EVERYTHING ELSE ...
Nobody is judging you at all. Only pointing out what you are going to have to do in order to satisfy DIAC that you are of sound character. I'm sorry if you feel that anything I said was out of order, but I've seen people's applications denied on character grounds and you did ask the question.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

just so we are clear for those of you who feel they have the right to judge me<<,, i have at no point in my post said that my criminal actions were trivial in the least,, ive already explained how distraught i am at the moment and not because it has come back to haunt me in a police check,, I cant say how very awfull a time i went through when these things happened i was totaly ashamed then and still to this day,, i was very honest with the police when i was charged with the d,d, about hitting the parked car in that incident they would not of known this if id not given them this information i took full responsibility at the time,,I took a guilty plee for all these offences and will always feel ashamed of my actions,, leaving my son home alone was the most stupid thing anyone could ever do,, even though i was a single parent who was about to do without heat and food for the next week if i didnt chase up the so called friend who owed me money it was still the wrong decision but watching your kidd go hungry or cold isnt a pleasent experience either,,, i was not off in a nice restraunt having drinks and dinner,,and certainly was not invited to meet the pope afterwards,, you all know the case we are talking about,, i was treated like a monster and had my child was taken in to care by social services, untill the case was resolved,, they found that i was a very good mother in a very difficult situation,, as for the drugs charge my sons father died and because it was a suspicioius death even though we were seperated for a year my house was searched they found a small amount of anphetamin,, (speed) in a pocket of a jacket which i hadnt worn for a number of years,, (incedentaly he died with pnumonia but as he collapsed in a stairwell with no witnesses hence they treated it as a suspicious death) mabey not all of you have had misspent youths,, but most of us have done something that they are not exactly proud of or legal,,, never ran a red light or af few miles over the speed limit???,, had a glass over the limit at an office party??? i think you are judging me by your own standards because of the nature of the offences,, ive been very honest about what my offences were and went in to some detail in the hope to get an idea if someone has ever been in the same situation and managed to get a visa granted.. i thank those of you who have responded with kindness at the knowledge that they themselves have had criminal pasts..
or just understand we are not all perfect,, and the visa agent comment well.. just so we are clear on that.. AGENTS THEMSELVES cannot grant you a visa no matter how good there advice is,, and we already know how much it bloody costs to submit an application.. hence the reason we dont want to go to all the expense if we dont have a chance... i thought this expat web site(which was recomended to me) as a place that keep people motivated,, get some good advice,, share some other peoples experiences and mabey give a little hope to those who are struggling with the visa process..
but i think that only appplies to those of you who are not up front about your pasts or dont realy have one...
and a warning to all those who want to ask questions or share those more personal aspects of there lives regarding the visa process DONT..
AND NO I DIDNT SERVE A PRISON SENTENCE FOR ANY OF THESE OFFENCES.. EXCEPT FOR A FINE AND A BAN FOR THE D.D ,, I WAS ADMONISHED FOR EVERYTHING ELSE ...
I don't think anyone is judging you, we are trying to help and to be realistic.

The question about a prison sentence is because if you serve a prison sentence then it is viewed as more serious. Over the years we have seen many people with a variety of offences posting on here, and from their experiences its possible to get a good idea of how best to approach the situation when applying with convictions.
DIAC will view your offences seriously, as you know, and when this happens it really is advisable to have an agent working for you. Not only can an agent with experience in the field give you a reasonable idea as to whether the visa will be granted or not - which we can't - but they can also assist you in presenting your case in the best way possible. They cannot grant you a visa, and no-one would say that they can, but an agent with experience in this area can make a big difference to your application.
Outlining the mitigating circumstances in a way that will show you in the best way possible, and explain your actions, can make the difference between a visa or no visa. So please do yourself a favour and talk to a professional registered agent, even if it costs a fair bit. Someone of the ilk of George Lombard or Alan Collett would be good - they both have contact details in their posts on here.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

You really only have two options ... Apply on your own with no agent (you might get a visa, you might not... Same boat as all of us) or apply with an agent, someone who has experience in helping people with criminal records get visa's and again you might get in you might not.

Everyone to some degree faces the uncertainty that you face. We all apply, pay the money and if DIAC say no, none of us get refunds.

In your situation it may be worthing paying £1500-£2000 for a decent agent such as Go Matilda, after all the whole moving to Oz costs roughly £10k, with flights, shipping, medicals, rentals etc, it may well be the best money you ever spent.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
You really only have two options ... Apply on your own with no agent (you might get a visa, you might not... Same boat as all of us) or apply with an agent, someone who has experience in helping people with criminal records get visa's and again you might get in you might not.

Everyone to some degree faces the uncertainty that you face. We all apply, pay the money and if DIAC say no, none of us get refunds.

In your situation it may be worthing paying £1500-£2000 for a decent agent such as Go Matilda, after all the whole moving to Oz costs roughly £10k, with flights, shipping, medicals, rentals etc, it may well be the best money you ever spent.
i am sorry if anyone is offended by my comments,, but you must understand that at this moment in time i am feeling like all our chances are going down the pan fast and its all my fault of some very stupid and difficult circumstances,, i cant rewind my past and i cant express how devestating all these incidents have effected me over the years i stopped my driving lessons straight after the dd never to take them up again even though i was nearly at my test,, ive taken the absolute best care of my son all his life knowing how awfull it felt to have him taken away for a short time,, i had another child after 9 years as a result of knowing children need to be planned for with the knowledge that my life could never spiral out of control again, i regret and do live a good honest life.. i will take advice from an agent as you have advised ,,
kind regards
dizzy
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

i am sorry if anyone is offended by my comments,, but you must understand that at this moment in time i am feeling like all our chances are going down the pan fast and its all my fault of some very stupid and difficult circumstances,, i cant rewind my past and i cant express how devestating all these incidents have effected me over the years i stopped my driving lessons straight after the dd never to take them up again even though i was nearly at my test,, ive taken the absolute best care of my son all his life knowing how awfull it felt to have him taken away for a short time,, i had another child after 9 years as a result of knowing children need to be planned for with the knowledge that my life could never spiral out of control again, i regret and do live a good honest life.. i will take advice from an agent as you have advised ,, but certainly wont be paying the amount of money you suggest (however well intentioned) for them to assist me prove to diac that i am a good upstanding person worthy of a visa,, there are enough people in my life who after all knowing my background value trust respect and can vouch for me without having to pay them for the privelage....
regards dizzy
kind regards
dizzy
thanks for the advice though
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

SoDizzy

Just a quick note to say that we wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do hun. I would personally give an agent a ring but the choice is yours hun.

Good luck with all you decide to do.

Kind regards Lou xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.