Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

independent 189, Electrician, a few questions

independent 189, Electrician, a few questions

Old Mar 22nd 2015, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Darrenb is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile independent 189, Electrician, a few questions

Hi everyone,

Im an Electrician from the UK, I am 33 and looking at the process with the skilled independent 189, I have completed the points test and got 60, all good

The only thing that worries me with the process is my work history I have worked for many company's in the last ten years, due to the fact that I have travelled around allot and it has just suited my lifestyle to take short term contracts and then have some time off to travel or relax.

Now proving 3 years work experiences is going to be difficult as working for short stints at company's means that to provide 3 years worth of references, I would have to contact probably 10 company's and some will maybe not remember me as the people that employed me could of moved on from the employing company or the company has gone bust or it has been taken over.

Now i have read somewhere about just proving it with bank statements and tax returns could be a possibility, but im not sure on that.

So my questions are...

can i provide evidence of some employers with references and some with payslips tax returns ETC. or does every company that makes up the work history have to have a reference including the following:

• Start and Finish Dates of Employment
• Description of Duties Performed
• Hours worked - Full time or Part time
• Country where Employment was completed
• Company Letterhead and signed with contact details

And how many of the references will they check as I spoke to an immigration advisor and he said if they cant get hold of your reference then after a few calls they will just not accept that reference.

Also I could get enough references but they would be from people who are now employed at a different company from the company that we worked together at. would that be a problem or could I just write an explanation of that fact

Im also questioning how easy the superior English language is going to be? anybody have any experience with this would be great.

If these questions have been asked before im sorry to repeat them but it is allot of money and effort to apply so want to be 100% i can get it before i apply.

Many Thanks

Darren

PS. If any electricians are thinking of going to NZ, i have a good amount of knowledge on registration and electrical jobs in NZ, as i have resided there for the last 2 years.

Last edited by Darrenb; Mar 22nd 2015 at 2:35 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 9:51 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: independent 189, Electrician, a few questions

Originally Posted by Darrenb
Hi everyone,

Im an Electrician from the UK, I am 33 and looking at the process with the skilled independent 189, I have completed the points test and got 60, all good

The only thing that worries me with the process is my work history I have worked for many company's in the last ten years, due to the fact that I have travelled around allot and it has just suited my lifestyle to take short term contracts and then have some time off to travel or relax.

Now proving 3 years work experiences is going to be difficult as working for short stints at company's means that to provide 3 years worth of references, I would have to contact probably 10 company's and some will maybe not remember me as the people that employed me could of moved on from the employing company or the company has gone bust or it has been taken over.

Now i have read somewhere about just proving it with bank statements and tax returns could be a possibility, but im not sure on that.

So my questions are...

can i provide evidence of some employers with references and some with payslips tax returns ETC. or does every company that makes up the work history have to have a reference including the following:

• Start and Finish Dates of Employment
• Description of Duties Performed
• Hours worked - Full time or Part time
• Country where Employment was completed
• Company Letterhead and signed with contact details

And how many of the references will they check as I spoke to an immigration advisor and he said if they cant get hold of your reference then after a few calls they will just not accept that reference.

Also I could get enough references but they would be from people who are now employed at a different company from the company that we worked together at. would that be a problem or could I just write an explanation of that fact

Im also questioning how easy the superior English language is going to be? anybody have any experience with this would be great.

If these questions have been asked before im sorry to repeat them but it is allot of money and effort to apply so want to be 100% i can get it before i apply.

Many Thanks

Darren

PS. If any electricians are thinking of going to NZ, i have a good amount of knowledge on registration and electrical jobs in NZ, as i have resided there for the last 2 years.
You will need the references for the skills assessment, and any experience you claim points for will need references as well as other evidence such as pay slips, tax returns, etc.

The format required will be given on the Vetassess site (or Vic Uni or Future Skills depending on who you go with for the assessment). There is also advice on what to do if you cannot get a reference.