Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)

Old Dec 19th 2017, 1:20 pm   #16
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration agent worth it, or go it alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Glad I am not the only one having doubts about it. Likewise I have never heard it mentioned before, and though I only had a quick look at sources via google it didn't seem very up to date. The one link I did find on a website said 'last updated 2014'
I think we would all agree - anything that outdated could be dangerous and lead to people losing a lot of money
From what I found, 2014 was when it went online so maybe it was the hard edition that was updated, who knows. I honestly can't imagine it's got more useful info than the DIBP site and at least that's free and everyone knows it's totally up to date.

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 11:39 pm   #17
BE Forum Addict

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

2017 version viewed at Gosnells Library in WA about a month ago. It appears to be the up dated version from a quick viewing. I agree it is not well known which is a little odd, taking into account the cost of migration agents these days.

I will endeavour to find out more about this publication and place any additional info on this thread.

I suspect those with reasonable confidence in filling the application are just that, while others not so, would perhaps feel over whelmed by the info and not confident regardless, leaving it in the hands of an agent.
the troubadour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th 2017, 3:55 am   #18
Migration Agent
Premium Member

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You should be fine. There was a time not so long ago, when all applicants managed without a migration agent.

<snip>
With respect, that comment is at odds with my experience as a migration agent since 2001.

More were minded to instruct a migration agent when all applications were paper based.

Best regards.
Offices in Southampton (England), and Melbourne (Australia)
Alan Collett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th 2017, 11:29 pm   #19
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point

Many years ago I spent about 20 minutes reviewing the 'Kit' and found 64 errors, which I drew to the attention of the publisher.
pinoyau.com
WRUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th 2017, 7:18 am   #20
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
2017 version viewed at Gosnells Library in WA about a month ago. It appears to be the up dated version from a quick viewing. I agree it is not well known which is a little odd, taking into account the cost of migration agents these days.

I will endeavour to find out more about this publication and place any additional info on this thread.

I suspect those with reasonable confidence in filling the application are just that, while others not so, would perhaps feel over whelmed by the info and not confident regardless, leaving it in the hands of an agent.
Even if such a book were up dated annually, it would still be out of date. There are literally thousands of changes to migration law and regulations made by either parliament or the minister each year. They are done throughout the year. So, it would be out of date within weeks of being published.
verystormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:05 am   #21
BE Forum Addict

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

An update on the book It was last published in book form in I think 2012. Hence hard copies would indeed be of little use. Prior to that it was recommended for people in the trade. Obviously the written form is never going to be up to date.

Anyway it has been available online since the demise of the book, and is supposed to be updated regularly.

The full title is The Immigration Kit . The book was Immigration Advice &Rights Centre's published by Federation Press.

Just another tool possibly of benefit to some whom would be interested in the on line version. Definitely don't bother with the book.

I said I'd get back on this matter and have done so.....
the troubadour is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)