Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IELTS General Training, or PTE Academic, that is the question.

IELTS General Training, or PTE Academic, that is the question.

Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Jimmy Lueng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS General Training, or PTE Academic, that is the question.

Hello all,

I am like some people here who are attempting to obtain the extra ten points to meet the English requirement to immigrate to Australia, except the fact that I am a non-native English speaker. In order to do that, achieving proficiency level in English skills has become my top priority for last year, so I have taken IELTS General Training (IELTS GT) test twice, and my latest score that was released last December was below.

Listening: 7.5
Reading: 8
Writing: 6
Speaking: 6.5

I am now devastated and don't know how to boost up my score on writing and speaking part. So, may I ask what the examiners are looking for from test takers at proficiency level?

Please give me any advice, thanks.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 11:11 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS General Training, or PTE Academic, that is the question.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Lueng
Hello all,

I am like some people here who are attempting to obtain the extra ten points to meet the English requirement to immigrate to Australia, except the fact that I am a non-native English speaker. In order to do that, achieving proficiency level in English skills has become my top priority for last year, so I have taken IELTS General Training (IELTS GT) test twice, and my latest score that was released last December was below.

Listening: 7.5
Reading: 8
Writing: 6
Speaking: 6.5

I am now devastated and don't know how to boost up my score on writing and speaking part. So, may I ask what the examiners are looking for from test takers at proficiency level?

Please give me any advice, thanks.
Hi

Have you taken any of the prep courses for IELTS at all? They may give you an idea of what is required. I know when I did mine, I did a google search for writing band 8 to see the standard required.

Other than that, you may need to just practice more. I'm sure there are plenty of resources available online.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Hi Old. sparkles,

Thanks for your reply. I have attended a few in-class courses for IELTS, and one of them was by the British Council. I also agree with you that there are tons of IELTS material on the net, but I don't know what makes them band 7/8 essays and mine is not.

By the way, shortly after my IELTS result was released, I spent a few weeks on preparing PTE-A test. But it didn't end up well either, even worse than IELTS.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi

Have you taken any of the prep courses for IELTS at all? They may give you an idea of what is required. I know when I did mine, I did a google search for writing band 8 to see the standard required.

Other than that, you may need to just practice more. I'm sure there are plenty of resources available online.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 5:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Old. sparkles,

Thanks for your reply. I have attended a few in-class courses for IELTS, and one of them was by the British Council. I also agree with you that there are tons of IELTS material on the net, but I don't know what makes them band 7/8 essays and mine is not.

By the way, shortly after my IELTS result was released, I spent a few weeks on preparing PTE-A test. But it didn't end up well either, even worse than IELTS.
There are noticeable phrasing issues with what you have written on here so far which may be leading to your lower scores.

If we look at one of your sentences you have written 'I spent a few weeks on preparing PTE-A test' which is not very good. Better would be 'I spent a few weeks preparing for the PTE-A test instead'
Old Aug 26th 2016, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Thank you for pointing them out. I guess I need to take more time to fix my errors on writing.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There are noticeable phrasing issues with what you have written on here so far which may be leading to your lower scores.

If we look at one of your sentences you have written 'I spent a few weeks on preparing PTE-A test' which is not very good. Better would be 'I spent a few weeks preparing for the PTE-A test instead'
Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:54 pm

Thank you for pointing them out. I guess I need to take more time to fix my errors on writing.
Do you need IELTS extra points to submit the EOI though Jimmy - you have met the minimum requirements with all 6's or better. For most occupations, 60 points will be enough to be selected to apply for the visa.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

currentaffairs is an unknown quantity at this point

I recommend buying a grammar book with answers. Raymond Murphy's books are the standard, and I also like another book which I have listed below:

Raymond Murphy, English Grammar In Use.
Michael Swan and Catherine Walter, How English Works: A Grammar Practice Book.

You are making some errors with your conjunctions and prepositions, and these type of books will give you some clear advice as well as practice material..