IELTS

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

FionaG has a spectacular aura aboutFionaG has a spectacular aura aboutFionaG has a spectacular aura about
Default IELTS

Hi so sat Ielts on Saturday and now the wait for results .... My first attempt ,has anyone passed recently???
Am 20 points short so need band 8 so hard.does anyone know of another way to get points? I'm 43 and dont have time to sit this exam repeatedly any ideas as I am not confident I can pass and have read of people having to sit this 10 + times. Fiona
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 12:12 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS

Originally Posted by FionaG
Hi so sat Ielts on Saturday and now the wait for results .... My first attempt ,has anyone passed recently???
Am 20 points short so need band 8 so hard.does anyone know of another way to get points? I'm 43 and dont have time to sit this exam repeatedly any ideas as I am not confident I can pass and have read of people having to sit this 10 + times. Fiona
Wait and see how you got on, but there are alternative tests that others have found easier. Haven't taken it recently, but do have all 9.0's off my second test - I needed all 8.0's for 20 points too but got 7.5 first time on the listening. My own fault - I went straight to the test after a 12 hour night shift. I did also practice a little - looked at the types of questions to expect, and the quality of writing they expected for an 8.0.

Good luck with the wait
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 6:35 am
Just Joined

rkbn is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't make it in IELTS, you can give PTE Academic a try.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 9:06 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

You can find advice on Youtube. The British Council website also has free practice materials.

Regards,

Richard
Old Nov 12th 2017, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

FionaG has a spectacular aura aboutFionaG has a spectacular aura aboutFionaG has a spectacular aura about

So gutted got IELTS results and still not there.😐 I got 7 on all parts.Finding this test a bit of a joke I got 9 and a 7.5 first time and now it's worse....so do I keep on and book test 3 or try PTE ??? Any advice welcome
Fiona
Old Nov 12th 2017, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute

friend of mine did it 8 times he is 44 his scores were all over the place till he got all 8s but he kept goin every 2 weeks even appealed some
Old Nov 12th 2017, 11:06 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

So gutted got IELTS results and still not there.😐 I got 7 on all parts.Finding this test a bit of a joke I got 9 and a 7.5 first time and now it's worse....so do I keep on and book test 3 or try PTE ??? Any advice welcome
Fiona
All I can say is that the test is designed to trip you up, so practice and familiarity with the form can work wonders.

Reading - need logical deduction and careful parsing of the text for what it actually says, not what you think it implies.

Listening - Trip up central, where understanding the question exactly is key. Listen hard.

Writing - when I did it it was writing a letter to the council, the key bit was logical structuring, and of course spelling/grammar. Imagine 'letters to the editor' for the right feel.

Talking - provided you can speak clearly and with proper sentence construction, it's easy.

Thought occurs, can you do more than one type of test at a time, so you can up your chances of one of them giving the result needed?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 11:45 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Thought occurs, can you do more than one type of test at a time, so you can up your chances of one of them giving the result needed?

You can do as many tests as you like, but immigration will only accept the results of a single test, not combined results from multiple sittings.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 12:01 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard_Gregan

You can do as many tests as you like, but immigration will only accept the results of a single test, not combined results from multiple sittings.
Oh agreed, it's just with the OP saying
I'm 43 and dont have time to sit this exam repeatedly
anything that ups the odds seems worth the go.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:28 am

Definitely. We've found people who struggled with IELTS do better on PTE, and for others, it's the other way around, and they find IELTS easier than PTE. So it's probably better to try more than one testing system if you're having problems.
Richard
Old Nov 15th 2017, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your posts.I have booked PTE for 30th November so fingers crossed.I'm hoping the reading will be easier for me as black text on white I really struggle with.I normally use blue paper,dislexia is such a pain but I will pass this one day. ☺ Fiona
Old Nov 15th 2017, 8:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your posts.I have booked PTE for 30th November so fingers crossed.I'm hoping the reading will be easier for me as black text on white I really struggle with.I normally use blue paper,dislexia is such a pain but I will pass this one day. ☺ Fiona
Hi Fiona. You're probably already well across this, but just in case, there's supposed to be assistance with the test for people with dyslexia https://www.ielts.org/book-a-test/special-requirements

Wishing the you best of luck
Old Nov 19th 2017, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Fiona. You're probably already well across this, but just in case, there's supposed to be assistance with the test for people with dyslexia https://www.ielts.org/book-a-test/special-requirements

Wishing the you best of luck
Hi yea I know about the assistance.problem being i wasn't tested until uni at 34 and I can't seem to evidence it. Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone, so my English exam nightmare continues, I did not get the results I needed on the PTE so after lots of feeling useless I am going to keep on studying and try again soon. There is no other option as I need the 20 points or no visa. Anyone else feeling deflated by this silly testing system ? My speaking results were 66 total joke as on my IELTS I got 9 lol.

Last edited by FionaG; Jan 29th 2018 at 11:11 am.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:11 am

It is a real struggle, but most people do tend to improve on multiple attempts. The first time is more about orientating yourself to the test.

Keep trying - hire a tutor for an hour - this can make all the difference!

Regards,

Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.