How many 'did it the hard way'?

Old May 4th 2007, 8:42 am
KAO
Forum Regular

KAO will become famous soon enough
Default How many 'did it the hard way'?

Hi all,

I've been reading the forums for a while with interest and this is my first post. I've wanted to emigrate to Oz for as long as I can remember and I'm hoping to start taking the first steps in a year or so. I'm not sure where we stand on visas at the moment and I may well have to train in a profession AND gain the relevant work experience before we can do it.
It all seems like such a long wait if that is how we have to do things then I don't know how I'll cope!
Are there any Aussie expats who have got over this way or UK residents currently in this process?

KAO
Old May 5th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default Re: How many 'did it the hard way'?

Originally Posted by KAO
Hi all,

I've been reading the forums for a while with interest and this is my first post. I've wanted to emigrate to Oz for as long as I can remember and I'm hoping to start taking the first steps in a year or so. I'm not sure where we stand on visas at the moment and I may well have to train in a profession AND gain the relevant work experience before we can do it.
It all seems like such a long wait if that is how we have to do things then I don't know how I'll cope!
Are there any Aussie expats who have got over this way or UK residents currently in this process?

KAO
Hi

When we decided to come to Aus, I didn't have the qualifications or work experience required. I studied a degree through the OU and took on more work in order to gain the experience. Yes it was very hard work working full time and studying 3 courses at a time but if it something you really want to do, you manage it. At the time I had 2 small children and a husband that worked away.

Debs
Old May 5th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

borehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KAO
Hi all,

KAO
hello kao, what line of work are you in,

Last edited by borehamwood; May 5th 2007 at 1:57 pm.
Old May 5th 2007, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I have two jobs to apply for in the next week or two. If they don't work out then I will be in the same boat.

Working out exactly what to study, and how much work experiance is needed is what is confusing me.

Good luck.
Old May 5th 2007, 9:17 pm
KAO
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
Hi

When we decided to come to Aus, I didn't have the qualifications or work experience required. I studied a degree through the OU and took on more work in order to gain the experience. Yes it was very hard work working full time and studying 3 courses at a time but if it something you really want to do, you manage it. At the time I had 2 small children and a husband that worked away.

Debs

Wow, that's a big hurdle! Still, like you say if it's what you want ultimately...
Do you mind if I ask how long the whole process took?

I am in a similar situation to what you were - two small children (2 and 3) and hubby works shifts (all round the clock on a 5 week rota), this means I just can't get even a part time job. I don't have the family backup there and childcare would cost more than what I'd be earning.

On the upside, hubby is studying for his CCNA and has been with his company since 1997. He's been in his current role for 4 years.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to get over on his computing background and the CCNA, but as he's not long turned 30 we've lost 5 points off our visa score (based on a 136).

The longer I stay here the more I want to go - I just do not want to raise my children in the country. The lifestyle appeals to us on so many levels and we just have to give it a shot.
I'd love to train for IT qualifications over there as that was also my background before giving up work for the children, but with me needing the employment background as well as the quals, there doesn't seem to be any point in me doing that whilst we're here.

We're also not in a position to move just yet so we haven't put anything into the skills match database. Hubby's mum sadly isn't very well and going over would mean coming back in less than a year for the funeral. We'd rather be here for now and leave afterwards if you know what I mean.

I feel so stuck waiting to apply to see if we even have a chance based on what we have now.

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I have two jobs to apply for in the next week or two. If they don't work out then I will be in the same boat.

Working out exactly what to study, and how much work experiance is needed is what is confusing me.

Good luck.
Thank you Pumpkin Blossom and good luck with your applications. Two peas in the same pod!
Old May 5th 2007, 10:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KAO
I'm not sure where we stand on visas at the moment and I may well have to train in a profession AND gain the relevant work experience before we can do it.
What would you like to train in?
And what have you the ability to train in?

You can work from there after answering these two questions.
Old May 5th 2007, 11:26 pm
KAO
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
What would you like to train in?
And what have you the ability to train in?

You can work from there after answering these two questions.
Well for the first question I'm interested in both Photography and IT. In particular Networking and Programming and probably also database management

For the second question - don't take this as a conceited answer, it definitely isn't! but I see no limits with the exception of looking after the children full time. Study wise I am in a position to do a home study course (unable to attend classes due to hubby's shifts) but don't see this as having an influence on the visa application as I won't have the relevant work experience.
I see studying in Oz much more feasible as my partner will most likely look for a non-shift position allowing me to either work, study or both.

Before leaving full time employment I worked as a technical analyst on a dedicated server team in a well known communication company. Education-wise before that I gained A-levels in both French and Italian at college
Old May 6th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KAO
Well for the first question I'm interested in both Photography and IT. In particular Networking and Programming and probably also database management

For the second question - don't take this as a conceited answer, it definitely isn't! but I see no limits with the exception of looking after the children full time. Study wise I am in a position to do a home study course (unable to attend classes due to hubby's shifts) but don't see this as having an influence on the visa application as I won't have the relevant work experience.
I see studying in Oz much more feasible as my partner will most likely look for a non-shift position allowing me to either work, study or both.

Before leaving full time employment I worked as a technical analyst on a dedicated server team in a well known communication company. Education-wise before that I gained A-levels in both French and Italian at college
I was working in childcare. I continued this but took on more roles and voluntary positions that filled in with the kids.

I enrolled with the OU and started the foundation degree in Early years care and education. I then topped them up to level three courses. This is all done at home but you do need to get your assignments posted by certain dates so there is an element of time management. The whole degree took me 3.5 years but that was flat out for the last 2 years. I was working full time so study was difficult to fit in. I used to get up extra early, go to bed really late and studied all weekends when dh was home. We had to give up our social life as well.

On the upside, we have been here now since the end of July and life is great. Just as we thought it would be. I am still working full time as I was sponsored for the visa but everything else make it worth while. I have my evenings and weekends back in a much cleaner and healthier environment for my kids and financially we are slightly better off.

It was something we really wanted to do and realised life would have to go on hold for a few years to reach our goal. It was well worth it.

Debs
Old May 6th 2007, 3:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KAO

If you have no qualifications to speak of currently, then educating yourself to professional/managerial or qualified trade standard won't be easy, sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

Studying in Australia has a number of issues/risks to consider:

- expensive
- limited work rights for partner (unless you are studying postgraduate)
- no guarantee of permanent residence (rules will get even tougher in September as DIAC want only the top-tier of students to be able to stay)
- if you have no experience of tertiary study, risk of failing
- risk that if you have to go home at the end, your Australian qualification will not be recognised in the UK.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:09 pm
KAO
Forum Regular

With the changes later this year to the visa structure, wouldn't we be more likely to qualify based on being able to make up the 5 points lost with age with 5 points for english ability? (hoping that the overall 120 points score doesn't increase)

I'm hoping that the work experience and CCNA stuff my partner will have would be enough for the visa. He's also had a keen interest for a long time in network security so may also try to fit in his CCSP - which I understand is on the MODL?

What influence does owning an IT business bear on the visa? Would that have to be on a seperate one completely?
Old May 6th 2007, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KAO
Well I see studying in Oz much more feasible as my partner will most likely look for a non-shift position allowing me to either work, study or both.
Are you aware he'd be restricted to 20 hours a week paid employment? Plus international student fees and at the end of it there are no guarantees but going down this route! Read an article this week about the numbers of hairdressers & cooks going down this route thus will eventually flood the market which will inturn affect the chances of those planning to go this route being unable to get PR after they qualify.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by KAO

As others have said, doing the study to PR route is very risky, particularly after September. However, if you are from an English speaking country, there is less risk as you should be able to get IELTS 7 in all bands...
Old May 6th 2007, 10:55 pm
KAO
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Are you aware he'd be restricted to 20 hours a week paid employment? Plus international student fees and at the end of it there are no guarantees.

Hi Australia_bound. I'm not sure if I'm grasping the wrong end of the stick here, but international student fees? My partner would be looking to gain his qualifications before we apply for the visa as opposed to studying abroad. Does the 20 hour restriction apply just to students?
He won't be looking to study over there - just work based on his IT qualifications from the UK.
I'm considering study as an option for myself but not as part of the visa process - I'd be looking to do that once we're settled (hopefully with PR)

I'd like to train to sit my CCNA and maybe other similar qualifications but they won't affect the visa due to my lack of experience beforehand and with the children being so young they'd expire before I get to go back to work full time.