How long does a PR Visa Last

Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Smurphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How long does a PR Visa Last

Just a quick question - if you obtain a PR visa for Oz how long does it last. I.e. if you applied but didn't want to move immediately how long in general is it valid for before you have to reapply?

Thanks guys

Sx
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all
Default Re: How long does a PR Visa Last

You have to validate it within a certain length of time - 1 year from your meds or pcc's, whichever was sooner. The you have 5 years to make the move.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's right!!

Mel
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Smurphy is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you mean after validation from your meds - not sure about all these! Sorry sound a bit ignorant!

Sx
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Once your visa has been granted, you have one year from the date that you did your medicals or police checks (whichever was done first) to validate your visa, that means either making the move out there or you can visit Australia (say for a holiday or just turning round and coming back again - you have to go through immigration to get your passport stamped or what ever it is they do to validate) and then you will have 5 years to make the permanent move out there.

Mel
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smurphy
Just a quick question - if you obtain a PR visa for Oz how long does it last. I.e. if you applied but didn't want to move immediately how long in general is it valid for before you have to reapply?

Thanks guys

Sx
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Validation-Australia
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Big Ears is on a distinguished road

I am flying to Sydney in a couple of weeks to validate my PR visa.

I have had the sticker added to my passport by the Australian embassy, am I right in assuming that I do not have to apply for a tourist\visitors visa for this trip and I can use my unvalidated PR visa to gain entry to Australia.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Big Ears
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:02 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Ears

I have had the sticker added to my passport by the Australian embassy, am I right in assuming that I do not have to apply for a tourist\visitors visa for this trip and I can use my unvalidated PR visa to gain entry to Australia.

Big Ears
If you apply for another visa then you may lose your PR as a result of that. The rule is that the last visa granted cancels a previous one - I am almost sure you do not want a tourist visa to cancel your PR.

NJ
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Big Ears
Yoiu have a permanent residency visa. There is no reason why you need a tourist visa as they are only for visitors.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yoiu have a permanent residency visa. There is no reason why you need a tourist visa as they are only for visitors.
Many thanks for your response, I didn't think I needed one but didn't want to make another schoolboy error to add to my already long list of schoolboy errors.

Big Ears
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:29 pm
Home and Happy

Many thanks for your response, I didn't think I needed one but didn't want to make another schoolboy error to add to my already long list of schoolboy errors.

Big Ears
You'll be fine, knowing your luck you'll get a red carpet on entry too
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You'll be fine, knowing your luck you'll get a red carpet on entry too
That would be nice, plus a rent free house in Mosman. I'll email my CO and see what she says

Big Ears