Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

how long do I have to get a visa after my Vetassess application is completed?

how long do I have to get a visa after my Vetassess application is completed?

Old Aug 18th 2016, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

nexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of light
Default how long do I have to get a visa after my Vetassess application is completed?

Hi peeps,

Well, with the issues of Brexit, I am now seriously looking at keeping my options open. I have done part one of the Vetassess electrical assessment, but I have the practical left to do, which may be next month, as I don't think I can defer it any longer. Initially I would like to come over on a 457, just to get my foot in the door. How much time do I have from successfully completing my assessment to having to make the move?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 18th 2016, 10:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long do I have to get a visa after my Vetassess application is completed?

Originally Posted by nexsuperne
Hi peeps,

Well, with the issues of Brexit, I am now seriously looking at keeping my options open. I have done part one of the Vetassess electrical assessment, but I have the practical left to do, which may be next month, as I don't think I can defer it any longer. Initially I would like to come over on a 457, just to get my foot in the door. How much time do I have from successfully completing my assessment to having to make the move?

Many thanks!
Have you got a 457 sponsor? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by coming on a 457 to "get your foot in the door". A skilled permanent visa gets not only your foot, but your entire body in the door. Permanently and not tied to an employer.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 12:26 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long do I have to get a visa after my Vetassess application is completed?

Also, depending on your trade, you may still need the skills assessment for 457. I know sparkies do.

I think the assessment is valid for either 2 or 3 years

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 19th 2016 at 12:28 am.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

nexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, thanks for the replies. I just needed to work out time, money and a job! I was trying to get a job secured before I leave, but I think I might just go to the nearest mining town and try to get a job (any job) there.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 5:32 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks for the replies. I just needed to work out time, money and a job! I was trying to get a job secured before I leave, but I think I might just go to the nearest mining town and try to get a job (any job) there.
Not sure how this plan is going to work. Without a valid visa you won't be getting any job. If you are a sparky best to finish your skilled visa application and get a permanent residency visa, then you can work any job.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi peeps,

Many thanks!
Just checking but are you aware that Austraila is not in the European Union or any other union either? I would not be looking at a 457 as a foot in the door either, because your foot can be removed and door slammed shut on you very easily.

Pretty unlikely that you can secure a job before you leave and note the mining industry is in decline and in any case very hard to break into. It is something of a myth that mines cannot attract workers..
Old Aug 28th 2016, 12:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Doing what? Don't you think that if it was that easy everyone would be doing it?

You're really going to have to do some research.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you think you will get a job in a mining town? Mining is in a major slowdown with thousands made redundant. Some mining towns are now ghost towns.

Also, are you aware that once you do get a visa, you will not be an electrician in Oz. You will need to obtain a license. This will mean a series of college courses and working as a trade assistant for about a year - a bit like being an apprentice again.