Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Holiday and Freelancing in Australia with Australian client

Holiday and Freelancing in Australia with Australian client

Old May 29th 2015, 10:24 am
Just Joined

karin48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday and Freelancing in Australia with Australian client

Hello

I'm an Indonesian resident and currently working remotely from Indonesia as a freelance with Australian company
I pay my tax for Indonesian government because now i'm still living in Indonesia.

I'm thinking to do some travelling in Australia for a year (stay in one city for few months and move to another city and do the same), but during my visit, i'm planning to keep working on my freelance job (with the Australian company).

I'm still not sure what to do and what visa i should take and how the tax works. Can anyone throw me your two cents/opinion?

Thanks in advance!
T
Old May 31st 2015, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

MarkHoath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Holiday and Freelancing in Australia with Australian client

If you are under 31, you should apply for the 462 Work and Holiday Visa (providing you meet all the other requirements). That would enable you to work while in Australia and you wouldn't be breaching any visa conditions.

If you are in Australia, you will be liable for any income that you earn while in Australia and will need to pay tax on it. (To Tax Free Threshold since last budget either).

Hope that helps
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:27 am
Just Joined

thank you for your answer. yes i',m going to try that visa
Old Jun 1st 2015, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Note that you can only work for 6 months for one employer on this visa then you need to move on. Usually it is OK to work as a freelancer whilst travelling to other countries on holiday. But for a full year and to the country your main contractor is based then you may run into problems.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 3:44 am
Just Joined

yeah that's the main issue, the main contractor based in the the country am going to visit hahaha.. thanks for the reply