Help required - Brit to Aus - thank you

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

mikenotts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help required - Brit to Aus - thank you

Hello,

Newbie to the forum. I'm sure many of you regular expats have helped many people with initial advice on migrating from the UK to Australia, and now I am after the same - so thank you and please be honest!

Unfortunately, I have a professional now on the short term list, so downgraded since the changes last year;

Public Relations Professional

STSOL

186 (DE), 190, 407, 457, 489 (S/T)

VETASSESS

Details are age 33 (a bit earlier working holiday visa would have been ideal), UK citizen, ten years working in profession, single, good savings (five figures), degree education and fine physical health.

I am going to make some approaches to different companies, via the Internet, but for now I have no job offer.

I would want to re-locate to Perth if possible, but I am flexible.

What would be the options for me, and the first step to a migration application? (with no job offers) and would it be worthwhile approaching a agent?

Thanks once again - grateful for the time and advice.

Mike
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help required - Brit to Aus - thank you

Have you taken advice about state/territory nomination?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

I haven't W - all new to this. Any advice appreciated, no matter how basic.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The first step will be to see if any states are sponsoring your occupation. You will need to google search each states occupation list. Also, many states impose particular restrictions on occupations so check these and that you can meet them.

Then, you need to look up who is the assessing body and see if you can pass the skills assessment for the occupation
Old Jan 25th 2018, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

I've had a quick look folks.

It seems the only area where you could get state sponsorship is ACT - South Australia has possibilities, but also has a number of caveats which may not apply to me

ACT is not surprising considering the type of work.

Two further questions

1) Can anyone recommend any free online assessments from reputable agents that would more or less give me a confirmed steer on what I have researched (ACT or bust!)
2) Are there any large recruitment firms in Australia you could recommend that might be interested in taking a look at my CV? I'm realistic about the difficulties of my professions in regard to migration - nevertheless I have some very good experience in the UK (working with Chief Executives, members of Government etc) which might be attractive to certain firms.

Thanks once again for assistance.

Mike
Old Jan 25th 2018, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikenotts
I've had a quick look folks.

It seems the only area where you could get state sponsorship is ACT - South Australia has possibilities, but also has a number of caveats which may not apply to me

ACT is not surprising considering the type of work.

Two further questions

1) Can anyone recommend any free online assessments from reputable agents that would more or less give me a confirmed steer on what I have researched (ACT or bust!)
2) Are there any large recruitment firms in Australia you could recommend that might be interested in taking a look at my CV? I'm realistic about the difficulties of my professions in regard to migration - nevertheless I have some very good experience in the UK (working with Chief Executives, members of Government etc) which might be attractive to certain firms.

Thanks once again for assistance.

Mike
Be aware that the largest employer in ACT is the federal government and you won’t get a job with them because the general rule is that you need to be a citizen. So that takes a lot of jobs out of the melting pot unfortunately. Must say I wouldn’t have thought there was a shortage of local talent in your field and most will be better connected than you to begin with. It’s a bone of some contention that the skills on the visa list bear little resemblance to job opportunities on the ground. Be prepared to be out of work for 6 months as recruitment isn’t exactly a speedy process in ACT.

However, if you’re going to go for it, there are loads of recruitment companies. Keith Cantlie has always done ok for my DH - assume Cantlie is still in business, we’ve been away a while.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Quoll

I would hope my very good CV would give me some chance, not to start namedropping but I've even worked for Prime Ministers, but perhaps I am being naïve - you will have a better idea of the job market condition than I!

Could you just not get a VISA for ACT and apply for jobs from Britain - before actually resigning your UK role and moving to Oz? Don't like the sound of being idle for six months...

If anyone else knows of any good agencies, or has any other comment please let me know - the more information the better!
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikenotts
Thanks Quoll

I would hope my very good CV would give me some chance, not to start namedropping but I've even worked for Prime Ministers, but perhaps I am being naïve - you will have a better idea of the job market condition than I!

Could you just not get a VISA for ACT and apply for jobs from Britain - before actually resigning your UK role and moving to Oz? Don't like the sound of being idle for six months...

If anyone else knows of any good agencies, or has any other comment please let me know - the more information the better!
Canberra is a very insular place and very much a case of who you know, rather than what you know. Given that there will be plenty in your field who have local experience and, more importantly, connections, they’re going to look more favourably on the local than someone on the other side of the world even if they have worked for Prime Ministers (is that a positive??) - nothing stopping you from applying from overseas of course. The ACT recommends that you have funds to support you for 6 months and they openly say that finding a job can take many months.

Be aware, too, that There is more to it than a ripper cv. Many positions require you to write to selection criteria which is a whole other challenge.

Have a look in the Canberra Times job ads and you’ll see which agencies seem to predominate in your field. They’re all much of a muchness so it’d be a case of who you can get an appointment with.