Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Help :) looking to live in Australia! WHERE TO BEGIN!!!

Help :) looking to live in Australia! WHERE TO BEGIN!!!

Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Mconway90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help :) looking to live in Australia! WHERE TO BEGIN!!!

Hello chaps
My girlfriend and I have been discussing moving and living in Australia permanently!
Here's the situation
I myself and am engineer, mechanical. Time served apprentice, with paperwork to go with. Born I'm the UK and lived here since
My girlfriend is Spanish native and has A levels in psychology
Just wondering what visa... Where to find these visas, and of there is anybody I can talk with to help me
We don't actually mind the location, although, I would definitely need a job in engineering, as I would be more than useless doing anything else!
Please help!?

Thank-you kindly
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help :) looking to live in Australia! WHERE TO BEGIN!!!

Originally Posted by Mconway90
Hello chaps
My girlfriend and I have been discussing moving and living in Australia permanently!
Here's the situation
I myself and am engineer, mechanical. Time served apprentice, with paperwork to go with. Born I'm the UK and lived here since
Just wondering what visa... Where to find these visas, and of there is anybody I can talk with to help me
We don't actually mind the location, although, I would definitely need a job in engineering, as I would be more than useless doing anything else!
Please help!?

Thank-you kindly
Hi, you need to begin at the beginning. Find out if you're eligible for a visa here Visa Finder If you are, next step is checking the Skilled Occupation List and Consolidated Skilled Occupation List, to see if Australia needs your skills. If your occupation is on the list, you'd need to see which Australian organization assesses those skills to see if your experience and skills are up to scratch. That's probably enough to start with
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank-you for the reply, would like somebody to chat with who has done it all before, help us in the right direction it's not that we're nervous, we honestly don't have a bloody clue!! Haha!
Thanks for the information, I'll check it out
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank-you for the reply, would like somebody to chat with who has done it all before, help us in the right direction it's not that we're nervous, we honestly don't have a bloody clue!! Haha!
Thanks for the information, I'll check it out
You'll always find someone to chat with here about any aspect of moving from the UK to Australia. What are your most burning question/s concern/s? Work that out and start a new thread with that reflected in the title, you'll get all sorts of advice, opinions and suggestions. Every one different usually, but it's up to you to take what you need out if it

One thing that most people will say is that everything is moot until you find out if you're eligible for a visa though, so you're doing the right thing by checking that out first.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Is your girlfriend your girlfriend or your partner? Her A levels in psychology are going to lead her nowhere at all but if you are in a committed relationship and can demonstrate that with shared accommodation, bank accounts, holidays, testimonials from friends about commitment etc etc then she might get with you on a partner visa. However, left to her own devices she might be able to get a WHV for a year (or two) but then she would have to be off home.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Is your girlfriend your girlfriend or your partner? Her A levels in psychology are going to lead her nowhere at all but if you are in a committed relationship and can demonstrate that with shared accommodation, bank accounts, holidays, testimonials from friends about commitment etc etc then she might get with you on a partner visa. However, left to her own devices she might be able to get a WHV for a year (or two) but then she would have to be off home.
Yeah, she's my partner in crime we have lived together for two years, shared holidays etc, just bank accounts we don't share, would this be beneficial? it wouldn't be a problem as we currently share money regardless, so a shared bank account wouldn't be an issue thanks for the response!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:31 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello chaps
Here's the situation
Please help!?

Thank-you kindly
Are you a mechanical engineer with a university degree or a tradesman who's done an apprenticeship? They're different things and could be the difference between a positive skills assessment and not qualifying for a visa at all.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, she's my partner in crime we have lived together for two years, shared holidays etc, just bank accounts we don't share, would this be beneficial? it wouldn't be a problem as we currently share money regardless, so a shared bank account wouldn't be an issue thanks for the response!
Joint anything that indicates you are a committed couple - bank accounts are the usual ones that people go for, rental agreements, hire purchase, insurances etc etc. you have to demonstrate at least 12 months together in your committed relationship.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Joint anything that indicates you are a committed couple - bank accounts are the usual ones that people go for, rental agreements, hire purchase, insurances etc etc. you have to demonstrate at least 12 months together in your committed relationship.
Outstanding, proof of this shouldn't be an issue was actually thinking of doing a joint account anyhow, so this can just add to paperwork Thank-you
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Are you a mechanical engineer with a university degree or a tradesman who's done an apprenticeship? They're different things and could be the difference between a positive skills assessment and not qualifying for a visa at all.
Fully qualified mechanical engineer, in another year I will have a full degree, but for now it's ONC level, which is between university and college, I have certificates from city and guilds etc, in a year I'll have these aswell as university papers

Thanks for responding!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 10:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Fully qualified mechanical engineer, in another year I will have a full degree, but for now it's ONC level, which is between university and college, I have certificates from city and guilds etc, in a year I'll have these aswell as university papers

Thanks for responding!
Withoutthat degree you are not an engineer for immigration purposes. Or Engineers Australia skills assessment purposes. Right now you are a tradesman.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 12:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to the Immi Forum where all relevant information can be found.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 7:58 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Withoutthat degree you are not an engineer for immigration purposes. Or Engineers Australia skills assessment purposes. Right now you are a tradesman.
Dorothy is right but don't let it worry you too much. The visa is your foot in the door and if you can apply as a tradesman with City and Guilds and can get a skilled visa don't worry about the title. I was a fully qualified Electrical and Electronic Engineer but got a visa in the 'Electrical Fitter' category. Once you have the visa it doesn't really matter, you can go back to being an Engineer. Its all about ticking boxes.

Last edited by spuddyo; Jan 11th 2017 at 8:00 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Dorothy is right but don't let it worry you too much. The visa is your foot in the door and if you can apply as a tradesman with City and Guilds and can get a skilled visa don't worry about the title. I was a fully qualified Electrical and Electronic Engineer but got a visa in the 'Electrical Fitter' category. Once you have the visa it doesn't really matter, you can go back to being an Engineer. Its all about ticking boxes.
Thank goodness! I've worked hard to get where I am, lol 😁
I've had a chat with a gentleman from the Australian bureau, nice man.
I was asked to fill out a visa application prior to applying, with the "engineer" status, I was able to be allowed 1 type of visa (I think temporary), although as you mentioned, if I select "tradesman" from the Dropbox it's opens up a world of opportunities!
Just wondering, which visa did you go for? And which would be best for myself (with the hope that my girlfriend can come with me)
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness! I've worked hard to get where I am, lol 😁
I've had a chat with a gentleman from the Australian bureau, nice man.
I was asked to fill out a visa application prior to applying, with the "engineer" status, I was able to be allowed 1 type of visa (I think temporary), although as you mentioned, if I select "tradesman" from the Dropbox it's opens up a world of opportunities!
Just wondering, which visa did you go for? And which would be best for myself (with the hope that my girlfriend can come with me)
Whatever visa you go for, she can be included as your de facto spouse -as long as you can prove at least 12 months living together as if you were married. Howeve, from a visa point of view, you need to start calling her your de facto partner, that way DIBP will view you as a couple. Just calling her your girlfriend unfortunately won't cut any mustard over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.