Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Help - Birth Certificate dosn't show parents names!!!

Help - Birth Certificate dosn't show parents names!!!

Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Bec_cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Birth Certificate dosn't show parents names!!!

Hi can anyone help,

I am in Oz about to apply on shore for my defacto spouse visa ( got my appointment on Monday) and i was just checking through everything and it says that you have to provide a copy of your birth certificate ( right i have this tick) then it says ' showing both parents names' so i go to look at mine, and it dosn't show any parents names, It was issued in wales in 1975 and is all hand written, there is no place to write parents names etc!

I don't have time to get another one or get the olds do a statatory declaration - has anyone else came accross this?

Thanks

Becky
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Birth Certificate dosn't show parents names!!!

When you get your birth cert you get a short copy and a full copy. Sounds like you have the short copy, they will want a copy of the full one.
I would have thought you would have no option but to get the right one.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
When you get your birth cert you get a short copy and a full copy. Sounds like you have the short copy, they will want a copy of the full one.
I would have thought you would have no option but to get the right one.
I have never had anything else! didn't even know there was an alternative, i've used this one for 33years and it's been ok - right this is a nightmare! what the hell am i gonna do?????
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bec_cook
I have never had anything else! didn't even know there was an alternative, i've used this one for 33years and it's been ok - right this is a nightmare! what the hell am i gonna do?????

I have a copy of my old marriage cert that shows both of my parents names, maybe i make a stat dec and swear it is a true copy etc and use that ( I no longer have the origional as the solicitor who did my divorce still has it in the UK. And submit that - any ideas???
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Help - Birth Certificate PANIC OVER !

I have a copy of my old marriage cert that shows both of my parents names, maybe i make a stat dec and swear it is a true copy etc and use that ( I no longer have the origional as the solicitor who did my divorce still has it in the UK. And submit that - any ideas???
In my panic i have done some searching about - and it looks like i can write a stat dec about who my parents are and when and where i was born, and get it signed by a notary....

if anyone is interested see this link regarding stat decs:
http://www.justice.wa.gov.au/_files/stat_dec.pdf
and
http://www.justice.wa.gov.au/_files/..._stat_decs.pdf
only refers to WA where i am but may be helpful to someone!

Oooh that was a paniky moment there!

Phew

Bec
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Bec I had exactly the same issue. My agent said for adults who also have a passport it is not a worry. On the actual application form it asks for id and says that a passport is an alternative to a full birth certificate. For kids it's a different story though as they need to be sure re custody rights etc.

I have had two 457's issued on this basis and been told a RSMS won't be a problem either.

If you have an agent double check with them for reassurance. I'd go ahead with what oyu have and apply for the full one inthe meantime jsut in case you come across a similar request sometime in the future.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Safin
Bec I had exactly the same issue. My agent said for adults who also have a passport it is not a worry. On the actual application form it asks for id and says that a passport is an alternative to a full birth certificate. For kids it's a different story though as they need to be sure re custody rights etc.

I have had two 457's issued on this basis and been told a RSMS won't be a problem either.

If you have an agent double check with them for reassurance. I'd go ahead with what oyu have and apply for the full one inthe meantime jsut in case you come across a similar request sometime in the future.
Thanks for the advice panic over - see my post above, I have done a stat dec and will use that along with my 'short' birth certificate , and will get on to applying for a proper one, Seems my parents were a bit lazy ( or tight)

Bec
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

nickynush will become famous soon enough

Hiya

You can order copy certificates online - as long as you know all the relevant info.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Nicky
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nickynush
Hiya

You can order copy certificates online - as long as you know all the relevant info.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Nicky
Thanks Nicky

I've already benn and done it! takes 2 weeks before they send, or can get within 48hrs, but won't help me as I need it for Monday - so i have done a stat dec instead detailing where i was born and who my parents are, along with a copy of the cert i have should be fine!

Becky
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nicky

I've already benn and done it! takes 2 weeks before they send, or can get within 48hrs, but won't help me as I need it for Monday - so i have done a stat dec instead detailing where i was born and who my parents are, along with a copy of the cert i have should be fine!

Becky
Use the certificate you have and apply for a long-form one immediately.

Even if they want the long-form one, they will accept your application anyway and give you time to obtain it.

As you should be aware, you cannot let yourself become unlawful before making a valid onshore visa application, and waiting for documents is not something that will get sympathy from DIAC.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Use the certificate you have and apply for a long-form one immediately.

Even if they want the long-form one, they will accept your application anyway and give you time to obtain it.

As you should be aware, you cannot let yourself become unlawful before making a valid onshore visa application, and waiting for documents is not something that will get sympathy from DIAC.
Thanks for the advice - but - it's all good, as you may see from my earlier post I am able to do a stat dec ( as per immi form) so I have done this and attached it to the birth certificate i have, I have also already applied for the long one - it takes 2 weeks, so if they say they need it i will send on later - but at least they'll have my application and i'll have a bridging visa! so all good!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Hi can anyone help,

I am in Oz about to apply on shore for my defacto spouse visa ( got my appointment on Monday) and i was just checking through everything and it says that you have to provide a copy of your birth certificate ( right i have this tick) then it says ' showing both parents names' so i go to look at mine, and it dosn't show any parents names, It was issued in wales in 1975 and is all hand written, there is no place to write parents names etc!

I don't have time to get another one or get the olds do a statatory declaration - has anyone else came accross this?

Thanks

Becky

Hi Becky,

My OH only had the short version of his birth certificate, he has like yourself only ever had this one. We were granted our PR visa on Thursday.

Kind regards and good luck

Lou xx