Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Hair qualifications to emigrate to Australia...help!

Hair qualifications to emigrate to Australia...help!

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:20 am
Just Joined

1973hel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hair qualifications to emigrate to Australia...help!

Hi Everyone,

Im new to British Expats, so please bear with me!

Im currently retraining as a hairdresser in the UK so I can emigrate to Australia. I have already got and NVQ 1 in Hairdressing and Im now doing NVQ 2, but with VTCT, vocational training charitable trust. Will this be enough for me to start me visa application process, along with the required 600 hours of work experience?

Any helpful hints, tips or advice would be greatly apprecitated. We really do want to move to Aus, we are now here spending Christmas with friends, but have to return to the UK in January

Hope to hear from you soon

Helen
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hair qualifications to emigrate to Australia...help!

Originally Posted by 1973hel
Hi Everyone,

Im new to British Expats, so please bear with me!

Im currently retraining as a hairdresser in the UK so I can emigrate to Australia. I have already got and NVQ 1 in Hairdressing and Im now doing NVQ 2, but with VTCT, vocational training charitable trust. Will this be enough for me to start me visa application process, along with the required 600 hours of work experience?

Any helpful hints, tips or advice would be greatly apprecitated. We really do want to move to Aus, we are now here spending Christmas with friends, but have to return to the UK in January

Hope to hear from you soon

Helen
If you are applying as a skilled migrant, then you need to have been employed full-time as a hairdresser for at least 12 of the last 24 months. Do you meet that requirement?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:34 am
Just Joined

1973hel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you are applying as a skilled migrant, then you need to have been employed full-time as a hairdresser for at least 12 of the last 24 months. Do you meet that requirement?

Not as such, but I have a beauty business and that has been running for 5 years, and have been doing hair for over a year. Now just getting the qulifications to back it up.

Not sure of my next step
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN73-1/4.0750.31.2.1 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Next step would be comment on visa processing times. Can you wait for 3 years for your visa to be processed?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Your first step is to get a skills assessment, you would need to do this with TRA.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx

Maybe worth an email to TRA to clarify what is required, as I couldn't find it in here specific to haridressing.

It might be worth having a read around in the hairdressers section of the forum, I have had a quick look and firstly it looks like 900 hours are required not 600, also one or two people talk about needing several years of experience in order to get a TRA positive assessment.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

You should also note that the 12 in 24 months requirement is required and will be assessed by DIAC independently of the skills assessment. As you are not working full time as a hairdresser, I think you should be aware of this and look into whether having a general beauty business would qualify as work experience.

Out of interest, did somebody professional advice that this was your best route into Australia?

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Dec 23rd 2009 at 12:18 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by charw
Wirelessly posted (NokiaN73-1/4.0750.31.2.1 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Next step would be comment on visa processing times. Can you wait for 3 years for your visa to be processed?
Yes it will be 3 years, however 3 years is better than never if Australia is the goal.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Originally Posted by charw

Yes it will be 3 years, however 3 years is better than never if Australia is the goal.
Exactly Bermuda. Now Australia is fundamentally following Canada's FSW framework of migration. Selected are processed fast . Others slow and painful waiting.