Great Opportunity but unsure about visa.

Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Purist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Great Opportunity but unsure about visa.

Hello

I am very fortunate to have been offered the opportunity to work for the Australian region of my current employer (temporarily for three months).

Unfortunately the only way I can do this is to take a three month sabbatical from work in the UK and work for next to nothing in Oz (call it work experience).

I can afford to do this and I am keen to do so. Obviously I want to make a good impression and hope the role may be extended to a longer period.

My question is, I am unsure what visa I would need. I am over 30 so I cannot apply for the Work Experience visa and since the salary is next to nothing I don't think I can apply for ENS?

Help?

Thanks.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice
Default Re: Great Opportunity but unsure about visa.

If it's for 3 mths or less, it will be a 456, if more than 3 mths but up to 4 years, it would be a 457. They will probably apply for the latter if they think that there's any chance of the assignment extending beyond 3 mths and arguably they might as well go for the extra flexibility if they're going to the effort of finding you something to do in the first place! However, for the 457, there's a minimum salary level which it sounds like you mightn't reach.

Edna
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EdnaAverage
If it's for 3 mths or less, it will be a 456, if more than 3 mths but up to 4 years, it would be a 457. They will probably apply for the latter if they think that there's any chance of the assignment extending beyond 3 mths and arguably they might as well go for the extra flexibility if they're going to the effort of finding you something to do in the first place! However, for the 457, there's a minimum salary level which it sounds like you mightn't reach.

Edna
Thankyou!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Also, what is the job? You can't be sponsored for any old job, it must be on a list immigration has. Good luck
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Also, what is the job? You can't be sponsored for any old job, it must be on a list immigration has. Good luck
It's an IT support role.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

VickyMel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Purist
It's an IT support role.
Can you try and find a different type of visa if you are not getting paid as such. I have no idea but... is there the potential to call it a research / student / training type role and take a look at some of the student/study options to see if it might fit any of those criteria?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Yes, maybe 442 will do it.