Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Entry on Tourist Visa whilst 100/309 being processed

Entry on Tourist Visa whilst 100/309 being processed

Old Apr 18th 2017, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Karondo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entry on Tourist Visa whilst 100/309 being processed

Chaps,

Question for you. My de facto partner is Australian and we are looking to move in November. However because of the time frame for the processing of 100/309 applications, it is doubtful that it will be processed in time before we move. So, can I enter Aus on a tourist visa, whilst it is being processed? I know the usual caveats will apply (no work, leave after 3 months etc) but can it be done?

Cheers

Matt
Old Apr 20th 2017, 4:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry on Tourist Visa whilst 100/309 being processed

Originally Posted by Karondo
Chaps,

Question for you. My de facto partner is Australian and we are looking to move in November. However because of the time frame for the processing of 100/309 applications, it is doubtful that it will be processed in time before we move. So, can I enter Aus on a tourist visa, whilst it is being processed? I know the usual caveats will apply (no work, leave after 3 months etc) but can it be done?

Cheers

Matt
Yes.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Gnmcvey is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had experience with this.

My permanent partner visa got approved not long ago, before that I was on a tourist Visa in Australia since October. First entry was fine and there was no problems at all.

When the three months are up though - It was an eVisitor Visa I had and you can stay max 3 months at a time - I went to NZ for the weekend and came back and had a bit of trouble getting back in.

A tourist visa isn't meant for you to be staying here and the immigration officer told me that it can be grounds for refusal of entry. Eventually they let me in and warned me against doing it again.

I emailed my case officer explaining the situation and they did give advance warning of when you need to be out the country. I got given 28 days to leave the country for a minimum of 5 working days so me and the little man went to Fiji. We'd been in Fiji for about 5 hours and the Visa's all came through.

No problem getting back in either.

My advice is to try it, but have a plan B for when the initial 3 months are up.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 1:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply now and frontload everything (health, police checks including the Australian police check for your sponsor) then you'll have the visa for November.