Non Migrating Dependant Family Members

Old May 2nd 2017, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Baqir Husain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non Migrating Dependant Family Members

I recently submitted my 189 visa application. In my application I added my parents as non migrating dependant family members. Now i see in my immi account that documents ( pcc, medical, form 1221) is also required for my parents. My questions are

1. Is it necessary to submit their docs as well even though they are not migrating?

2. If I do submit their docs will I be able to call them to Australia in future with me being the sponsor or something?
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Migrating Dependant Family Members

Originally Posted by Baqir Husain
I recently submitted my 189 visa application. In my application I added my parents as non migrating dependant family members. Now i see in my immi account that documents ( pcc, medical, form 1221) is also required for my parents. My questions are

1. Is it necessary to submit their docs as well even though they are not migrating?

2. If I do submit their docs will I be able to call them to Australia in future with me being the sponsor or something?
Yes, you will need to submit the required documents. No idea on the future - there are sponsored parent visas available at the moment but who knows what will happen down the road.

One question though - if they are dependent on you, how will they manage when you are not there?
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Yes, you will need to submit the required documents. No idea on the future - there are sponsored parent visas available at the moment but who knows what will happen down the road.

One question though - if they are dependent on you, how will they manage when you are not there?
They are dependant on me financially. So I send them money from here in Abu dhabi. But maybe 5 years or 10 years from now, they will not be able to stay alone without someone taking care of them physically. Thats why my question as to whether I will be able to keep them with me in future.

Plus I am the only child of my parents.
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

They are dependant on me financially. So I send them money from here in Abu dhabi. But maybe 5 years or 10 years from now, they will not be able to stay alone without someone taking care of them physically. Thats why my question as to whether I will be able to keep them with me in future.

Plus I am the only child of my parents.
There is a difference between being dependent and being financially dependent though. Being an only child also does not make your parents dependent on you.

If there were to apply down the line, they would still need to be able to pass the medical at that time - as they will need to do so now. If they fail the medical, and you have listed them as dependent, then I think you may get a refusal.
Old May 2nd 2017, 10:05 am
Just Joined

There is a difference between being dependent and being financially dependent though. Being an only child also does not make your parents dependent on you.

If there were to apply down the line, they would still need to be able to pass the medical at that time - as they will need to do so now. If they fail the medical, and you have listed them as dependent, then I think you may get a refusal.
So what makes someone dependant then?

From what I understand my case will be that me and my family submit all docs, pass medical etc. If everything goes well I move to Australia and my parents stay where they are. Then what is the point of them undergoing these checks if they wont be accepted in australia even at a later date.
Old May 2nd 2017, 10:15 am

So what makes someone dependant then?

From what I understand my case will be that me and my family submit all docs, pass medical etc. If everything goes well I move to Australia and my parents stay where they are. Then what is the point of them undergoing these checks if they wont be accepted in australia even at a later date.
When you need to feed someone, dress someone, help with basic personal hygiene, etc - that person is dependent on you. If that person is independent except for financial support, then no I don't think they are dependent. The fact that you do not live with your parents caring for them, would probably suggest they are not dependent unless you are currently paying for someone to care for them in your absence.

All dependent family members, migrating or not, need to pass medicals and police checks. They undergo these checks now because you have said they are dependent - they are dependent on you to be able to live day to day. If you move, it is likely that they will need to follow as they are dependent on you, in your words, as submitted to DIBP. So they need to pass these tests now, and again in the future.
Old May 2nd 2017, 10:58 am
Just Joined

When you need to feed someone, dress someone, help with basic personal hygiene, etc - that person is dependent on you. If that person is independent except for financial support, then no I don't think they are dependent. The fact that you do not live with your parents caring for them, would probably suggest they are not dependent unless you are currently paying for someone to care for them in your absence.

All dependent family members, migrating or not, need to pass medicals and police checks. They undergo these checks now because you have said they are dependent - they are dependent on you to be able to live day to day. If you move, it is likely that they will need to follow as they are dependent on you, in your words, as submitted to DIBP. So they need to pass these tests now, and again in the future.
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I guess my understanding of what is dependant was wrong. Does DIPB also provide such detailed information somewhere which I may have missed? As I lodged my application according to my understanding of dependants. Also do I need to/can I change something in my application or is it too late. I also havent been assigned any case officer yet.
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:08 am

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I guess my understanding of what is dependant was wrong. Does DIPB also provide such detailed information somewhere which I may have missed? As I lodged my application according to my understanding of dependants. Also do I need to/can I change something in my application or is it too late. I also havent been assigned any case officer yet.
Not sure what info is on DIBP site. I had a quick look and found this in reference to including adult children :
over 23 years of age and be unable to earn a living to support themselves due to physical or cognitive limitations and be dependent on you or your partner (Note: The child will still need to meet Australia’s health requirement)
I may be being a bit harsh with my definition - if your parents will pass a medical there wouldn't be an issue I guess, but you can use form 1023 to notify the department of incorrect answers - https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1023.pdf.

Maybe get some advice from a MARA agent before making changes
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Not sure what info is on DIBP site. I had a quick look and found this in reference to including adult children :

I may be being a bit harsh with my definition - if your parents will pass a medical there wouldn't be an issue I guess, but you can use form 1023 to notify the department of incorrect answers - https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1023.pdf.

Maybe get some advice from a MARA agent before making changes
I am quite positive my parents will pass the medical. So I guess I can continue as it is.

Plus how can I submit form for incorrect answers if my only reason is that I realized my answers were wrong after having a discussion on forum.

Again apologies for being less informed but what is a MARA agent?
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:49 am

I am quite positive my parents will pass the medical. So I guess I can continue as it is.

Plus how can I submit form for incorrect answers if my only reason is that I realized my answers were wrong after having a discussion on forum.

Again apologies for being less informed but what is a MARA agent?
You can submit the form for any incorrect answers, however you discovered them but that is by-the-by.

A MARA agent is a registered agent. MARA stands for Migration Agents Registration Authority. There are a few who post on here - TeeTMI, Alan Collett, Richard_Gregan, etc, who should all have contact info in their post signatures, but google should be able to find you others, and the MARA register.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Brofaiel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone,

I have same issue, I just lodged my Visa application mentioning my parents and brother.
I did this because I didn't know that they should be depending on me as it was not mentioned in the application.

Now, do you suggest that I submit a form that I have provided wrong answer? or should I wait until case officer contact me?

Please help!