Actuary Qualification

Old Jun 26th 2018, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Riya_Joshi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Actuary Qualification

Hello Everybody,

I am looking forward to get my skill assessment done through VATASSESS but I am a bit confused about their qualification requirements for my profession.

I am graduate (B.A) with subjects like Economics & Statistics, and post that I have relevant work experience of 5+ years as an Actuary Analyst.
And my spouse has a B.Sc (Phy,Chem&Maths) and a MBA finance degree, and he has 8+ years of relevant work experience. He completed his MBA in the year of 2014 and his current designation is Lead Business Analyst.

Please advise who should be more preferred for skill assessment for the occupation of Actuary.

Your kind suggestions are most welcome.

Regards
Riya
Old Jun 27th 2018, 1:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Actuary Qualification

Originally Posted by Riya_Joshi
Hello Everybody,

I am looking forward to get my skill assessment done through VATASSESS but I am a bit confused about their qualification requirements for my profession.

I am graduate (B.A) with subjects like Economics & Statistics, and post that I have relevant work experience of 5+ years as an Actuary Analyst.
And my spouse has a B.Sc (Phy,Chem&Maths) and a MBA finance degree, and he has 8+ years of relevant work experience. He completed his MBA in the year of 2014 and his current designation is Lead Business Analyst.

Please advise who should be more preferred for skill assessment for the occupation of Actuary.

Your kind suggestions are most welcome.

Regards
Riya
This is the information Vetassess give for your occupation@

Actuary (ANZSCO Code 224111)
This occupation requires a qualification which is assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If the qualification(s) are not at the required educational level, or if the employment has been completed prior to the qualification, then the employment will be assessed below the required skill level.

This occupation requires a major in Actuarial Studies or Actuarial Science. Actuarial Studies is the application of mathematical and statistical analysis in order to solve financial planning problems in areas such as insurance, superannuation and investment (ASCED). Qualifications in Mathematics or Statistics with supporting highly relevant employment will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

To receive an invite for a 189 visa, you will need to achieve around 75 points currently - you need to work out if wither you or your OH can reach that total if you can achieve a successful skills assessment.

If that's not the case, but you can get 60 points with state sponsorship for a 190 visa (55+5points), then check and see if any states are sponsoring the occupation.

If it's no to both, it may not be worth worrying about the skills assessment. If in doubt, consult a MARA agent perhaps for advice
Old Jun 27th 2018, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Riya_Joshi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Oldsparkles,

Thank you for your reply.

The quoted text u have mentioned above, I have already read that on VETASSESS's webiste.

But this does not give any good idea of what are the relevant qualification as per VETASSESS.

Hence I have given a brief of complete work experience and educational background, I would request advise from folks which shall be more suitable for Actuary profession.

Regards
Riya Joshi
Old Jun 27th 2018, 9:33 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Riya_Joshi
Hi Oldsparkles,

Thank you for your reply.

The quoted text u have mentioned above, I have already read that on VETASSESS's webiste.

But this does not give any good idea of what are the relevant qualification as per VETASSESS.

Hence I have given a brief of complete work experience and educational background, I would request advise from folks which shall be more suitable for Actuary profession.

Regards
Riya Joshi
Seems clear to me - you need a major in Actuarial Studies or Actuarial Science to be certain. If your qualification is mathematics or statistics, you need suitable work experience and each is assessed case by case.

Since you know what courses made up your degree, you know whether you meet the requirement outright, or if you fall into the 'case by case'.

If it is the later, it may be worth consulting a MARA agent for help in best presenting a case to Vetassess, but that is only worth doing if you have a path to an invite if that was successful - ie will you have sufficient points.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Or look at a closely related occupation, you may find one of you can apply under a different tittle, one that doesn’t need licensing perhaps as that can also complicate things. Don’t get too hung up on job titles, look at the duties and qualifications required. I assume because you are looking at either of you to be the main applicant you do not have employer sponsorship so pick the best fit that is on the list for the 189/190 visas. The one with the most points should be the main applicant.

Once you have PR you do not have to work in the nominated occupation.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Or look at a closely related occupation, you may find one of you can apply under a different tittle, one that doesn’t need licensing perhaps as that can also complicate things. Don’t get too hung up on job titles, look at the duties and qualifications required. I assume because you are looking at either of you to be the main applicant you do not have employer sponsorship so pick the best fit that is on the list for the 189/190 visas. The one with the most points should be the main applicant.

Once you have PR you do not have to work in the nominated occupation.