Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Enquiry: Migration Question (FINAL STAGE) & Migration Laywer

Enquiry: Migration Question (FINAL STAGE) & Migration Laywer

Old Feb 26th 2001, 7:22 am
Lamb

Hi

My wife and I applied to migrate to Oz around 18 months back. After numerous
corrspondence, including medical & police clearance, we have reach the final stage where
our application is "likely to be approved". We should be getting the confirmation in a
months time. We have already been given a dateline to be in Oz. About 4 months from now.

Okay here is a couple of question I need to ask.

We have no problem to be there by the said date..... But We are not ready to permanently
shift to Oz until we settle our personal property & commitment ..... what do I have to
expect on our coming visit as required by DIMA before the dateline? What do we have to do?
(We have been in OZ many times but as tourist only)

Any good migration lawyer around? If I were to make the permanent move by the end of the
year, need a good lawyer to advise with regards to setttling down in Oz, taxation,
benefits, social care, housing, insurance etc.......??

thanks in advance....

Old Feb 27th 2001, 12:11 am
Helena

<snip>
    >
    >
    >

Not sure why you would need a lawyer for this, unless it's just for convenience. There's
lots to find out when you get here and it can be a bit daunting. It's basically a case of
asking people and doing a lot of legwork finding out things and arranging your new life.

Taxation issues would likely best be handled by an accountant or financial advisor. We
talked to an advisor last week and learned a few good tax tips..

Benefits: the govt agency for benefits is Centrelink. New migrants are ineligible for most
benefits for the first 2 years. The exception is for benefits related to raising children
- family allowance, childcare allowance, etc.

Social care - is this the same as benefits or are you referring to public/private
healthcare? Medicare is Australia's public health provider - there are offices all over
the place, in most shopping centres, etc. Go there as soon as you get here and sign up.
Then look into private health insurance - shop around, don't just go for the big names or
the company your neighbour's with.

Housing - real estate agents, classified ads in weekend papers. You pay stamp duty (a
State tax) on the purchase of houses (and cars).

Insurance - shop around, lots of companies handle that.

DIMA has some generic settlement info at: http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/index.htm We
also have an FAQ at: http://www.fortunecity.com/oasis/paris/601/ with lots of info on
things here.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Feb 27th 2001, 1:12 am
Lamb

Thanks for the INFO

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
bit
    >
legwork
    >
    >
    >
    >
tips..
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
provider -
    >
    >
    >
your
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 27th 2001, 4:00 am
Anonymous

Helena:

I think you're wrong in the examption for family allowance and childcare benefit. When I
came to Australia, I applied for all that and got it approved but after a half year,
Centrelink found out that I am not eligible and they sent me a letter, that I don't get
those benefits anymore. My husband then applied for it and since then, HE gets them (he is
the Australian). Does not make any difference, but I just wanted to inform people that
within the first 2 years as migrant, we are not eligible for anything that comes from
Centrelink (I didn't even get any information concerning job shortages!)

Susi

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
bit
    >
legwork
    >
    >
    >
    >
tips..
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
provider -
    >
    >
    >
your
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 27th 2001, 4:00 am
Anonymous

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
eligible
    >

Hi Suzi,

From Centrelink's website:

Family payments New migrants with dependent children may qualify for Family Tax Benefit
and/or Child Care Benefit, payments that help with the cost of raising children. There is
no waiting period for these family assistance payments, but you must generally hold a
permanent visa in order to qualify.
source: http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/work/income_support.htm

The caveat is that you must hold a Permanent Resident visa. Did you have some other sort
of visa, like a temporary one perhaps? If so, then this may explain why you wouldn't be
eligible. If not, then they were wrong in denying you the benefit - sometimes personnel in
govt agencies aren't as well-informed as they should be.

>
    >
    >
    >

My husband (the Canadian) was told he could use Centrelink's Job Network, but then he did
have a PR visa. One look at the jobs available and he knew it wasn't for him. The only
"IT" jobs on their computer were for spammers

When I replied to "Lamb", I made the assumption that he would be a Permanent Resident.
Sorry, "Lamb" if I made the incorrect conclusion and steered you wrong.

Good luck,

Helena

>
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
financial
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 28th 2001, 10:12 pm
susi & kev

Hi Helena,

yes, I am a holder of a temporary visa (EETV 820) untill end of Jan. 2002, then I'll apply
for the PR. When I first came here in Oct. 1999 I had a prospective spouse visa, after
marriage to my Australian husband I applied for the 2nd stage and got it approved after
only 8 days. What I've read, the 3rd stage aplication takes much longer (Dawn wrote about
it) what sounds pretty annoying! So that explains why I have some troubles with
Centrelink. Thank you for your information.

Susi

>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
may
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Permanent
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
a
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
for
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Go
    >
health
    >
company
    >
    >
    >
    >
pay
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
with
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 1st 2001, 11:22 pm
Lamb

>
Permanent
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi Helena,

Actually that is my intention..... a PR Is that the same as a Permanent ENtry Visa (which
I will getting soon)