Which English test is easier

Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

nilv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which English test is easier

Hi all,

I am short of 5 points for my 189 visa application & it appears the easiest way to meet the 60 points requirement is to take another (!) English test as I currently score 10 points for English based on my previous IELTS result.

Considering there are now several options (IELTS, OET, TOEFL, PTE & CAE) for taking an English test, I wondered what your views are on which test is easiest (or at least easier than IELTS General) as I realized that my only weakness in the test was writing with a score of 7 whereas I got 8.5 in the other parts of the test.

If you have done any of the other tests please share your feedback on your experience, how you would compare it with IELTS if you have done it in the past etc.

Thanks,
Old Apr 13th 2015, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Which English test is easier

Anyone....?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nilv
Anyone....?
It's only recently that tests other than IELTS have been allowed by DIBP, and I'm not sure if anything other than IELTS is accepted when the skills assessing body has an English criteria.

Even if someone has chosen a different test, they will likely still only have experience of the one they took and not be able to compare it to IELTS.

So pick a test, stick with it - do whatever prep classes are available or practice to the desired level with examples off the net

..... and please do not bump threads!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 7:24 am
Account Closed

MarkHoath is on a distinguished road

I dont know that any one test is EASIER, however the OET allows you to only sit for exams where you didn't receive enough marks. For instance if you got C,B,B,B and need all B's then you only need to sit the one exam again and your results will show up as B, B*, B*, B*. This is accepted by the Department.

In contract to IELTS where you need to re-sit all 4 tests in one 3 hours Sitting regardless of the previous marks.

The main problem people have with the English Test it Time Management. They might have 3 questions for the writing and they do really well in 1 and have no time for the other 2, do the practice tests and use a clock so you get used to completing the work within the time allowed.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

thomasvo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say PTE but I've only tried IELTS and PTE.
Even though my English is pretty good, I always managed to get 1 score below 8.0 with IELTS. Usually writing, since you have to write an essay and I'm just bad at writing essays, even in my native language. I even did the IELTS test 4 or 5 times.

I did the PTE test once and I got the max score on listening, reading, writing and speaking.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 5:49 am
Just Joined

leo1211 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for IELTS, not sure what exactly you mean by which test is easier.

If you can speak, then you can speak. The test is designed to judge your overall comprehension, so shouldn't really matter which one you take.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leo1211
Go for IELTS, not sure what exactly you mean by which test is easier.

If you can speak, then you can speak. The test is designed to judge your overall comprehension, so shouldn't really matter which one you take.
Wrong. The IELTS test is marked by people, which always leaves the speaking and writing part open for interpretation. The listening and reading part is right or wrong therefor it is not open for interpretation.
The PTE test is marked by a computer algorithm and will use the same standard for every single test.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thomasvo
Wrong. The IELTS test is marked by people, which always leaves the speaking and writing part open for interpretation. The listening and reading part is right or wrong therefor it is not open for interpretation.
The PTE test is marked by a computer algorithm and will use the same standard for every single test.
Thanks for your replies - i agree with you totally THOMASVO as I have had similar experience to you. The writing piece always caught me out by 0.5 points & believe its down to the examiners interpretation.

I am considering doing the PTE - what materials did you use to prepare for the test? There's an "official guide to PTE coursebook" I am considering getting to begin with.

Cheers.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 11:46 am
Just Joined

I purchased the PTE practice test and boosters (they come with the test) on the official PTE website. It was handy to see the type of questioning I would get and it made me feel more prepared and confident.
Old May 5th 2015, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thomasvo
I purchased the PTE practice test and boosters (they come with the test) on the official PTE website. It was handy to see the type of questioning I would get and it made me feel more prepared and confident.
Ok will the material ordered - thanks!
Old May 17th 2015, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Did the PTE-A test yesterday and despite not answering two of the reading questions (select single answer) owing to my timing i scored 90 across the board.
I now have the total of 60 points I need for 189 :-D
Happy days..!
Big up to the guys who shared their experiences here..!
Old May 17th 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Jun 8th 2015, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

sjrothwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am doing the IELTS genaeral test the end of June? I am worried as I need the points so need to get 7's. My spelling and grammar aren't great. I was born and lived in the UK from birth. I have GSCE in English, am I likely to get 7's in all areas? Reading I have got 7 in the practice tests. Do Pepe generally score higher in the speaking and listening? I haven't practised the writing ones yet?
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjrothwell
Hi,

I am doing the IELTS genaeral test the end of June? I am worried as I need the points so need to get 7's. My spelling and grammar aren't great. I was born and lived in the UK from birth. I have GSCE in English, am I likely to get 7's in all areas? Reading I have got 7 in the practice tests. Do Pepe generally score higher in the speaking and listening? I haven't practised the writing ones yet?
Practice is the key, and familiarisation with the tests. If you are only doing IELTS for points then there are alternative tests as mentioned but see how you get on.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 6:23 am
Just Joined

sjrothwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks