Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Electrician (special class) would greatly appreciate help.

Electrician (special class) would greatly appreciate help.

Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Adwils88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician (special class) would greatly appreciate help.

Evening guys, I'm a new member to the forum although I've been reading posts for a while.

I'm Adam, a 28 year old electrical technician from Kent, England.

I recently went on holiday to visit a few friends that had made the move to Perth, Australia and have been converted big time to the idea of moving (my Girlfriend lived there for a while during her gap-year travels years ago and has wanted to back ever since).

I've been looking at info since and just find it a bit daunting at the moment. I know the forms will be simple enough to fill in etc but I just keep finding differing information on where to start and what tests I have to take.

Am I right in thinking that I have to take a VETASSESS trade occupation test first?

Also, when I have all the paperwork in order and am granted (hopefully) my VISA, do I have to work a year in Australia on a lower wage before I can get a properly paid job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician (special class) would greatly appreciate help.

Originally Posted by Adwils88
Evening guys, I'm a new member to the forum although I've been reading posts for a while.

I'm Adam, a 28 year old electrical technician from Kent, England.

I recently went on holiday to visit a few friends that had made the move to Perth, Australia and have been converted big time to the idea of moving (my Girlfriend lived there for a while during her gap-year travels years ago and has wanted to back ever since).

I've been looking at info since and just find it a bit daunting at the moment. I know the forms will be simple enough to fill in etc but I just keep finding differing information on where to start and what tests I have to take.

Am I right in thinking that I have to take a VETASSESS trade occupation test first?

Also, when I have all the paperwork in order and am granted (hopefully) my VISA, do I have to work a year in Australia on a lower wage before I can get a properly paid job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam.
Hey Adam

Being able to work as an electrician in Australia involves being licensed. Once you have a valid skills assessment, you will be issued an OTSR - Offshore Technical Skills Record. You can use this to sign up for gap training in whichever state you move to (and they are all different) and get a basic license which will enable you to work under supervision. Because of this you may have to take a pay cut for a while.

Skills assessments are by Vetassess, Victoria University or Future Skills, and involve a self assessment on Tradeset, a qualification and reference check, and if successful a practical assessment (with theory test). Plenty of info on what to expect in the electricians section - Electricians - British Expats
Old Jan 16th 2017, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for such a quick response! Found that very helpful, nice to hear from somebody and not just relying on 50 websites of differing information (or at least differently interpreted haha).

I'll have a good ready through the Electricians part of the forum. In the mean time do you know off the top of your head of any type of checklist/step by step process to follow anywhere?

Reason being I don't want to do tests etc only to find out I have to be in Oz within a certain amount of time of finishing it so having to do it twice or something, especialy considering how expensive they are :-/

Thanks for your help Sparkles!
Old Jan 16th 2017, 10:22 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adwils88
Thank you very much for such a quick response! Found that very helpful, nice to hear from somebody and not just relying on 50 websites of differing information (or at least differently interpreted haha).

I'll have a good ready through the Electricians part of the forum. In the mean time do you know off the top of your head of any type of checklist/step by step process to follow anywhere?

Reason being I don't want to do tests etc only to find out I have to be in Oz within a certain amount of time of finishing it so having to do it twice or something, especialy considering how expensive they are :-/

Thanks for your help Sparkles!
In terms of applying for a visa, I think the OTSR has a shelf life of 3 years. Once you have a visa, you would have a defined time to validate it, and 5 years to make a move but I would think you would need to start gap training and licensing process within the 3 years (not sure on that). My OTSR was a little over a year old by the time I got provisional licensing so you definitely have time in SA at least

It's not been updated for a while but there is a BE rough guide here - A Rough Guide to Australian General Skilled Migration : British Expat Wiki
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much, Really helped with pointing me in the right direction. :-D
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:12 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

The Down Under Centre in London can be helpful as they have contacts in Australia who can assist with gap training once you get there. We've found that they are pretty quick and efficient when it comes to the electrical assessment - they work with FSI.