Duel citizenship leaving on a UK passport

Old Jan 20th 2015, 11:39 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duel citizenship leaving on a UK passport

When I fly from London-Perth there has always been a more senior agent-type person that all the visa issues got elevated to from the standard check-in questions if there was anything non-standard with the documents. This person was moving from counter to counter, calling the immigration line directly to verify passenger entitlements.

Contrast to the time I flew Toronto-Perth with Cathay last week and the check-in person half-heartedly asked if I had a visa. I said yes, and that I had a visa sticker. She then flipped randomly through the passport. I don't think she checked electronically just glimpsed at the sticker (she didn't even look at the correct one! I have an older temp visa as well).

The Toronto staff were definitely not set up to handle any difficulties the way the London team was, which makes sense since there's around 3 flights leaving London for Australia the same time within an hour of each other
Old Jan 20th 2015, 11:41 am
Just Joined

jamesmrichardson is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad it worked out for you quickly in Dubai!

That would have made the situation worse in my case because I guess if they can't see you have entry to Australia, letting passengers get to Dubai not knowing if they will go on to Australia because they couldn't see there was definitive visa etc..

But then again only an idiot would try to come to Australia without doing research that they needed a visa :P (lol I don't want to start a war of words with boat people/refugees on that statement!)

I don't mean to make enemies on this forum with my reply to the OP when he asked for first hand knowledge I just gave him my first hand knowledge .. I'm about to start a process for a visa for my wife (spouse visa) on here soon to share my experience of what is upcoming step by step
Old Jan 20th 2015, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

jamesmrichardson is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say as there are alternative views. In my experience I had not had a problem.
In your own experience I can't say if you will or will not have a problem judging by other replies.

The best thing I'd suggest is contact the passport office here in Australia or the consulate in UK and request an emergency passport. They make them very quickly 1-2 days.

If getting it in the UK make sure you call before departing Australia just to confirm what documents you will need to provide in UK.

Then you can forget about this question

I know the first time I returned on UK passport I was paranoid about it even though I'd been advised by everyone it would be no problem. Still it's extra weight on your mind kinda thing that by choice I would not want to go through again, this can be avoided with emergency passport.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

jamaldn is an unknown quantity at this point

Some countries doesn't allow dual citizenship, be careful.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamaldn
Some countries doesn't allow dual citizenship, be careful.
The OP is from the UK and is entitled to hold dual UK/Aus citizenship

But you are right, some countries have different rules.