Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Don't know where to start!Hi everyone me and my wife have been chewing over the idea

Don't know where to start!Hi everyone me and my wife have been chewing over the idea

Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Cb10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Don't know where to start!Hi everyone me and my wife have been chewing over the idea

Hi everyone me and my wife have had the idea of moving to Australia for some time now my wife more so than me. But not got a clue where to start. I am a qualified painter and decorator and my wife is a senior sales manager for a house builder. We also have a son aged 9 and the move is more so for him (but that's another long story) I have been having a look at things but there is so much find it a bit mind blowing. So just looking for some advice as regards where to start and if our jobs are needed there. Also I have seen ads for companies that do it all for you are these any good?
Many thanks
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:13 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't know where to start!Hi everyone me and my wife have been chewing over the i

You would probably be the best bet as the main applicant in any visa application, as the occupation of Painter & Decorator is a sought after trade - you would need to know whether you meet the points & eligibility requirements for an Australian skilled visa and then begin the process from there. Look into the process and then, depending on how complex your case is, it might be a good idea to seek professional advice on requirements and take it from there.

Regards,

Richard

Last edited by Richard_Gregan; Jan 12th 2017 at 9:31 am.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Don't know where to start!Hi everyone me and my wife have been chewing over the i

Thanks Richard I have made in roads to am application and meet the requirements so looking into that a little more. I have already had conformation but very surprised how fast they got back to me.
Many thanks
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cb10
Thanks Richard I have made in roads to am application and meet the requirements so looking into that a little more. I have already had conformation but very surprised how fast they got back to me.
Many thanks
What do you mean by this? Are you saying that you have started an application to DIBP or contacted an agent?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi I got in contact with an agency and filled out an online form to see if i qualified
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I got in contact with an agency and filled out an online form to see if i qualified
Bear in mind that agenciesare in it for money. Whether you actually get a visa or not they get paid. Do some of your own research Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that info I will definitely bear that in mind we are going to a seminar in March so I will be able to speak face to face with people rather than through a computer.
Many thanks
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:24 pm
Still alive

Thanks for that info I will definitely bear that in mind we are going to a seminar in March so I will be able to speak face to face with people rather than through a computer.
Many thanks
Seminars are great. But again, they're full of agents who want your money. With the help of the forum here you can save a good chunk of money by doing it yourself.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:42 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Dorothy is correct that agencies offer professional guidance. It is up to you whether you feel you need this guidance or not - always look into things and see if you can manage this yourself. If you find that your case is more complex than first appeared, then by all means contact a reputable agency for professional advice - *that* is what they are paid for.

If you do speak to any agency, then the very first thing you should ask, before anything else is this:

'Are you a MARA registered migration agent?' Ask for their MARA number.

If they are not registered then walk away.

As a Registered Agent myself, I spend a lot of time exposing bogus agents and assorted charlatans who tell visa applicants what they want to hear. With MARA you have the backup of a professional Registration Authority to complain to if you feel that an adequate service has not been provided.

Regards,

Richard
Old Jan 12th 2017, 2:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard_Gregan
Dorothy is correct that agencies offer professional guidance. It is up to you whether you feel you need this guidance or not - always look into things and see if you can manage this yourself. If you find that your case is more complex than first appeared, then by all means contact a reputable agency for professional advice - *that* is what they are paid for.

If you do speak to any agency, then the very first thing you should ask, before anything else is this:

'Are you a MARA registered migration agent?' Ask for their MARA number.

If they are not registered then walk away.

As a Registered Agent myself, I spend a lot of time exposing bogus agents and assorted charlatans who tell visa applicants what they want to hear. With MARA you have the backup of a professional Registration Authority to complain to if you feel that an adequate service has not been provided.

Regards,

Richard
I echo everything Richard says.

I would also add that a forum like this which has been running for many years has several contributing agents (such as Richard) and many of us can vouch for their good service, so a bit of browsing on here before choosing an agent might be useful

Likewise if someone has been giving consistently bad service, they will have bad reviews on here.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Bear in mind that agencies are in it for money. Whether you actually get a visa or not they get paid. Do some of your own research Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection
Seminars are great. But again, they're full of agents who want your money. With the help of the forum here you can save a good chunk of money by doing it yourself.
I'm not an agent.

But yet, I can't help but find your motherhood/sweeping statement concerning agents and their alleged greed to be prejudicial, biased and most unbecoming.

I've seen many agents on BE that have offered help and advice, and sure, it might be in the hope that the advice would then lead to a potential migrant signing on as a client, but it's a mutually beneficial endeavor, and not nearly as one-sided as your view of agents that you've repeatedly espoused.

The agent I signed on with had this clause in my contract stating clearly that, should my case be one which, in her opinion, be unsuitable for the type of visa which I was interested in applying, the fees - minus $300 for the initial consultation, assessment & administrative costs - would be refunded.

I found that to be both a fair, as well as a professional approach.

Even doctors wouldn't refund their consultation fees, just because they misdiagnosed a patient's condition.

My 2 cents - your view might obviously vary (and I'm sure it does).
Old Jan 12th 2017, 11:26 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by xizzles
I'm not an agent.

But yet, I can't help but find your motherhood/sweeping statement concerning agents and their alleged greed to be prejudicial, biased and most unbecoming.

I've seen many agents on BE that have offered help and advice, and sure, it might be in the hope that the advice would then lead to a potential migrant signing on as a client, but it's a mutually beneficial endeavor, and not nearly as one-sided as your view of agents that you've repeatedly espoused.

The agent I signed on with had this clause in my contract stating clearly that, should my case be one which, in her opinion, be unsuitable for the type of visa which I was interested in applying, the fees - minus $300 for the initial consultation, assessment & administrative costs - would be refunded.

I found that to be both a fair, as well as a professional approach.

Even doctors wouldn't refund their consultation fees, just because they misdiagnosed a patient's condition.

My 2 cents - your view might obviously vary (and I'm sure it does).
Granted my view may not be the same as everyone else's. However I am of the opinion that unless an applicant has special circumstances an agent is not necessary. The forms are designed for laypersons to be able to complete. Even with an agent the applicant still does the legwork collecting the paperwork, etc.

Yes this forum has a very good collection of agents who have given a lot of very good advice on complex situations and I do appreciate it. However the OP is not a complicated application (from what he's written) and I personally don't see the need to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars for something they can do themselves by reading the government's website.

And I have worked for a migration agent in the past. Mind you , he was a dick and it was nearly 10 years ago.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

And I have worked for a migration agent in the past. Mind you , he was a dick and it was nearly 10 years ago.
Fair enough, fair comments. Here's another one: One swallow does not a summer make, similarly, one dick does not a whole profession stain.