Does my WHM experience count?

Old Feb 20th 2001, 5:39 pm
Steve Ramsden

According to the DIMA website you can gain bonus points for working in Australia for at
least 6 months in the 4 years before application. Does this include work done as part of a
working holiday? I was employed as a temp doing mainly Database admin work in and around
Melbourne.

Also, can anyone recommend a migration agent in the UK? I would like to apply ASAP, but
I'm not sure if I have anywhere near enough points. What is the best way forward? Many
thanks Steve Ramsden

Old Feb 20th 2001, 9:20 pm
simon

I too would be interested in hearing about migration agents in the UK, do they exist? or
is it more usual to use agents in Australia? And what do they charge? Simon

> According to the DIMA website you can gain bonus points for working in Australia for at
> least 6 months in the 4 years before application. Does this include work done as part of
> a working holiday? I was employed as a temp doing mainly Database admin work in and
> around Melbourne.
>
> Also, can anyone recommend a migration agent in the UK? I would like to apply ASAP, but
> I'm not sure if I have anywhere near enough points. What
is
> the best way forward? Many thanks Steve Ramsden
>

Old Feb 21st 2001, 8:10 am
George Lombard

Hi Steve,

Your work in Australia counts, but you probably don't need it for points if you are a
genuine IT person. As for selecting a UK migration agent, why not buy Australian? We're
cheaper, more accountable, and quicker

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Steve Ramsden
>According to the DIMA website you can gain bonus points for working in Australia for at
>least 6 months in the 4 years before application. Does this include work done as part of
>a working holiday? I was employed as a temp doing mainly Database admin work in and
>around Melbourne.
>
>Also, can anyone recommend a migration agent in the UK? I would like to apply ASAP, but
>I'm not sure if I have anywhere near enough points. What
is
>the best way forward? Many thanks Steve Ramsden
>

Old Feb 21st 2001, 7:06 pm
Steve Ramsden

George,

Thanks for the reply. I've followed your link and will send an asssessment form in due
course. Just one point though, what do you mean when you write 'if you are a genuine IT
person'. Also can you give me any indication of your rates?

Many thanks Steve.

George Lombard <[email protected]>
> >According to the DIMA website you can gain bonus points for working in Australia for at
> >least 6 months in the 4 years before application. Does this include work done as part
> >of a working holiday? I was employed as a temp doing mainly Database admin work in and
> >around Melbourne.
> >
> >Also, can anyone recommend a migration agent in the UK? I would like to apply ASAP, but
> >I'm not sure if I have anywhere near enough points. What
> is
> >the best way forward? Many thanks Steve Ramsden
> >
> >
> >

Old Feb 21st 2001, 11:01 pm
stu

Steve,

> Thanks for the reply. I've followed your link and will send an
asssessment
> form in due course. Just one point though, what do you mean when you
write
> 'if you are a genuine IT person'.

When I applied as a skilled IT migrant, I just needed 3 years postgrad experience in a job
related to my degree to get maximum points in the skills category. So George is guessing
that this is probably a similar situation for you perhaps?

In your case you got your IT experience before you'll get your related diploma/Masters. So
I guess you need to know if experience before graduation is accountable.

Hope you don't mind me sticking my oar in,

Stu

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 8:40 am
George Lombard

Hi Steve,

Particularly with the new concessions for IT skilled individuals, we seem to be getting a
rash of wannabes on our online assessment form. Basically, anyone without an Australian IT
qualification needs to have 12 months professional experience post-qualification, and
three years post-qualification experience for maximum points. Those who don't hold
acceptable qualifications need to demonstrate that they have learnt the stuff on the job
through the ACS Recognition of Prior Learning process. We currently charge what we believe
is effectively 20% below the market rate: A$1500 plus assessment and application fees
(onshore applicants should add GST). What you get for our service is a lot less stress and
cutting edge knowledge of the process.

We would not like to lose business through our pricing policy and therefore we will try to
match any genuine competing quotation.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Steve Ramsden
>> >According to the DIMA website you can gain bonus points for working in Australia for
>> >at least 6 months in the 4 years before application. Does this include work done as
>> >part of a working holiday? I was employed as
a
>> >temp doing mainly Database admin work in and around Melbourne.
>> >
>> >Also, can anyone recommend a migration agent in the UK? I would like to apply ASAP,
>> >but I'm not sure if I have anywhere near enough points.
What
>> is
>> >the best way forward? Many thanks Steve Ramsden
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>