Does Aus. salary include holiday money?

Old Feb 19th 2001, 12:32 pm
walter

In The Netherlands everyone gets holiday money, 8% of year income.(so your year income is
12.96 X month income) Does someone now if the salary you get in Australia also gives
holiday money?

Old Feb 20th 2001, 8:26 am
susi & kev

Hi Walter,

yes, like in Austria. Everyone gets 14 salaries per year (christmas and holidays), just
not only 8% but 2 extra 100% salaries. This was one reason why people there thought I must
be crazy to leave. But love is stronger than any money.....

As far as I know, there is no holiday money. Something they do here is super annuation
which is like a 2nd pension - not much but it helps I guess and I think not every company
pays that.

Susi

> In The Netherlands everyone gets holiday money, 8% of year income.(so your year income
> is 12.96 X month income) Does someone now if the salary you get in Australia also gives
> holiday money?
>
>

Old Feb 20th 2001, 8:39 am
Max Matveev

s&k> yes, like in Austria. Everyone gets 14 salaries per year s&k> (christmas and
holidays), just not only 8% but 2 extra 100% s&k> salaries. This was one reason why people
there thought I must be s&k> crazy to leave. But love is stronger than any money..... That
ain't no carrot, that's stick painted orange... Susi, do you believe that 2 extra
paychecked were generocity of an employer?

s&k> As far as I know, there is no holiday money. It depends. First, there is that thing
called "leave loading". Basically, it's promise from an employer to pay some extra money
to an employee while later is on paid vacation. It could be some 10-20% of the amount one
is going to "earn" while on vacation. I.e 60K annual salary and 20 days of vacation with
20% loading will give you smth like $1K extra. And you'd have to pay half of it to
goverment in taxes. Second, there is "profit sharing" which sometimes presented as an
alternative to leave loading. Profit sharing could bring much more then loading, but it
could bring nothing at all - no profit, no sharing, while loading is sort of guaranteed.

s&k> Something they do here is super annuation which is like a 2nd s&k> pension - not much
but it helps I guess and I think not every s&k> company pays that. Every company does, but
not every company counts that as salary. Then talking, well, provided that opportunity to
talk hasn't been hijacked by unions or "collective bargaining", one can hear about "salary
plus super" or "package" which usually means that super is included in the figure. Anyway,
it doesn't hurt to ask if super is in or it's extra.

max

Old Feb 20th 2001, 10:54 am
Stefan vom Bruch

>>>>>> "s&k" == susi <[email protected]> writes:
>
>s&k> yes, like in Austria. Everyone gets 14 salaries per year s&k> (christmas and
>holidays), just not only 8% but 2 extra 100% s&k> salaries. This was one reason why
>people there thought I must be s&k> crazy to leave. But love is stronger than any
>money..... That ain't no carrot, that's stick painted orange... Susi, do you believe that
>2 extra paychecked were generocity of an employer?
[...]

I have to say I agree with Max on this one. There is nothing "extra" about that pay. Like
my former boss used to say: "This is what we will pay you per year. Do you want to be
payed 12, 13 or 14 times a year?" It doesn't really matter.

My advice: Stop thinking "monthly". In Australia hardly anything is calculated on a
monthly basis. When you are offered a job, you are usually offered a pay package worth
$X annually. This package may include super annuation, bonuses, etc. You will then be
payed weekly.

Hope this helps. Cheers Stefan

Old Feb 20th 2001, 7:10 pm
Zebee Johnstone

In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:54:43 +0100

>
>My advice: Stop thinking "monthly". In Australia hardly anything is calculated on a
>monthly basis. When you are offered a job, you are usually offered a pay package worth
>$X annually. This package may include super annuation, bonuses, etc. You will then be
>payed weekly.
>

Or fortnightly, or monthly

But yeah, you are paid so much per year, and they give it to you in equal amounts
through the year.

Some jobs - mostly blue collar - are advertised as per week, and when there are articles
in the paper about wages they are usually given as per week. But it's still all inclusive.

You do get leave loading, but most employers pay that in a lump in arrears at the end of
the year, whereas they used to pay it when you took leave.

Zebee

Old Feb 21st 2001, 11:03 am
Rob McCulloch

Yep Walter, You do get Holiday pay if you are a 'Permanent Employee' After you have worked
for an employer for 52 weeks you get 4 weeks paid holidays at your basic rate of pay (ie:-
without overtime or allowances) then after each 48 weeks you work each year you get 4
weeks paid holiday. Holiday pay provisions vary in various industries and Industrial
Awards. As an example police in some states get 13 weeks paid holiday a year. And Teachers
get basically all school holiday periods as paid lholiday - and this would add up to about
13 weeks per annum also.

Australia also has another "Holiday" pay for 'Long service Leave'. Basically, after
working for an Employer for 15 years (although 10 years is becoming more common) you get
13 weeks paid holiday as Long service Leave. Thereafter, each 10 years you get another 13
weeks Long service.

All permanent employees get an allocation of Annual 'sick leave' entitlement. For most
Employees it is about 10 days allocation of paid days for time necessary to be absent from
work because of illness; some Employers need a Doctors certificate before they will pay
more than 3 consecutive days sick pay. Some industries allow sick pay when absent caring
for ill children, attending family funerals..

Most 'Professional" occupations really pay all necessary sick pay without regard to
the number of days a year. Some sick pay entitlements not used can be 'recovered' as
paid holidays.

All employees now have Supperanuation paid to their benefit to a Superannuation Fund at
the rate of 8% of their base wages. This is also paid @8% of some other items in your
payments, like "over Award payments..etc..

Casual employees don't generally get holiday pay or sick leave. They are paid at the
permanent rates, plus an increment of about 23% to compensate for not being paid these.

I could come up with about 10,000 different items about Holiday Pay, Sick Leave, Long
Service Leave as each Award or Enterprise Agreement can negotiate it's own 'rules'. But
really the things I've outlined here would be a minimum standard - I think these minimums
are still set in Industrial Law.

Also, Public Holidays, think they avrerage about 12 days a year are paid as Holidays top
permanent Employees, but not paid to casuals.

walter wrote:

> In The Netherlands everyone gets holiday money, 8% of year income.(so your year income
> is 12.96 X month income) Does someone now if the salary you get in Australia also gives
> holiday money?