Do I still class as a UK Resident?

Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Mike111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I still class as a UK Resident?

Hello British Expats!

Im hoping to apply for a 1 year working holiday visa for Australia in the next year or so, but Im wondering if I will still be classed as a UK Resident - which is one of the criteria for being granted the visa.

I was born and have lived in the UK all my life, up until April 2013, when I went to Canada on a 1 year working holiday visa. I returned to the UK in April this year, spent two months in the UK, and then Ive been in Australia on a tourist visa visiting my girlfriend (who I met in Canada and is Australian herself). Im currently in Africa, and we'll be meeting up again in Japan in November, where Ill be spending 5 months on a working holiday visa also.

The plan after that is to travel in Europe for a few months and then go to Australia, or to skip Europe and go straight to Australia - my question is, with all this time out of the country, will I still be classed as a UK resident in the eyes of the Australians (or any other country, if I decide to get a working holiday visa for Canada, NZ etc)???

I assume that I will still be classed as a UK Resident because I haven't taken up citizenship or residency anywhere else, but Id hate to make a bunch of plans and then face problems when applying for the visa or at the border etc...

Many thanks for your help as always on this great forum! Cheers, Mike
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I still class as a UK Resident?

Originally Posted by Mike111
Hello British Expats!

Im hoping to apply for a 1 year working holiday visa for Australia in the next year or so, but Im wondering if I will still be classed as a UK Resident - which is one of the criteria for being granted the visa.

I was born and have lived in the UK all my life, up until April 2013, when I went to Canada on a 1 year working holiday visa. I returned to the UK in April this year, spent two months in the UK, and then Ive been in Australia on a tourist visa visiting my girlfriend (who I met in Canada and is Australian herself). Im currently in Africa, and we'll be meeting up again in Japan in November, where Ill be spending 5 months on a working holiday visa also.

The plan after that is to travel in Europe for a few months and then go to Australia, or to skip Europe and go straight to Australia - my question is, with all this time out of the country, will I still be classed as a UK resident in the eyes of the Australians (or any other country, if I decide to get a working holiday visa for Canada, NZ etc)???

I assume that I will still be classed as a UK Resident because I haven't taken up citizenship or residency anywhere else, but Id hate to make a bunch of plans and then face problems when applying for the visa or at the border etc...

Many thanks for your help as always on this great forum! Cheers, Mike
Hi Mike, sounds to me like you wouldn't have any problem at all - I think the Oz WHV is based on citizenship, not residency. Others may be able to advise you better though.

You've had some fantastic travels/adventures, feeling quite jealous here!
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You might not be UK resident currently, although you would be as soon as you go back.

However like the poster above, I don't think your UK residency has anything to do with getting a WHV, it is based on citizenship, not residency, which is very, very different.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Mike111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats great, sounds like I shouldn't have too much trouble with that then. Thank you so much for your help, very much appreciated!

Cheers, Mike