Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Difference in Standard Migration Skill Assessment and Additional Assessment - Enginee

Difference in Standard Migration Skill Assessment and Additional Assessment - Enginee

Old May 22nd 2015, 8:01 pm
Ghazi78

Ghazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really nice
Default Difference in Standard Migration Skill Assessment and Additional Assessment - Enginee

Hi,

I am an Electrical Engineer with more than 8 years experience. I am in process of applying for Assessment from Engineering Australia. They have given two options

1) Standard Migration Assessment - which will reflect my qualification is okay as per Australia standards (as per my understanding)
2) Standard+Additional Assessment ( with additional fee) - which will reflect my qualification and no of years of experience s (as per my understanding)

However, on checking with Engineering Australia - they have mentioned that they can give opinion only and points against experience will still be dependent on DIBP.

Can you guide if it is beneficial to go for option 2 instead of option 1 ??? Pls help.
Old May 23rd 2015, 1:16 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difference in Standard Migration Skill Assessment and Additional Assessment - Eng

I personally found the 'additional assessment' a waste of money.

You need to have the specified "letter on company overhead with 5 job responsibilities listed" if they are to consider your experience. So, companies that I worked for 5-6 years ago, where no manager that knew me is still there, and the HR person only put down 4 job duties? Not counted. I ended up with gaps in my EA assessment because I was unable to get a letter with 5 job duties. DIBP still granted me the full experience points I claimed, and I could have saved myself $300 (or whatever it costs).

HOWEVER, I could see if this service is useful if you are self-employed or worked in a smaller firm, or if your job title wasn't clear that you were performing engineering duties. If that is your situation, then maybe it would be worth it.
Old May 23rd 2015, 1:58 pm
Ghazi78

Ghazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really nice
Default Re: Difference in Standard Migration Skill Assessment and Additional Assessment - Eng

Thanx msmyrtle ....
Old May 23rd 2015, 2:09 pm
Ghazi78

anyone else will like to share personal experience please ???
Old May 26th 2015, 5:59 am
Account Closed

MarkHoath is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure of the situation with EA, but ACS will not count your first 2 years post qualification work experience. This traps a lot of people into claiming more work experience than they are entitled to. Less Points. Failed application. No refund. Potential 3 year 4020 ban.