designated language

Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:42 am
Just Joined

mahi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default designated language

hi

Is it possible for me to get points of designated language ? If yes, then what is the way ? Will I have to get through some course ? I am from India and Hindi is my mother tounge. Will someone guide me ? Thanking you in anticipation.

Mahi
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:49 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: designated language

Originally Posted by mahi
hi

Is it possible for me to get points of designated language ? If yes, then what is the way ? Will I have to get through some course ? I am from India and Hindi is my mother tounge. Will someone guide me ? Thanking you in anticipation.

Mahi
Read page 29 of booklet 6, which you can download here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

It explains the two criteria for claiming points for a designated language.

Gina
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:46 am
Just Joined

hi Gina

I thank u very much for posting the reply. The point is clear to me to a large extent. I was still wondering if I can use the invaluable 5 points while updating my points tally, as Hindi is my mother tongue, I also had Hindi as my optional language when I was in my junior college and had obtained good marks in it. Will that mark sheet help ? Some doubts still loom around Gina. Can u still help and clear the clouds ?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:53 am
Banned

NowInOz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mahi
hi Gina

I thank u very much for posting the reply. The point is clear to me to a large extent. I was still wondering if I can use the invaluable 5 points while updating my points tally, as Hindi is my mother tongue, I also had Hindi as my optional language when I was in my junior college and had obtained good marks in it. Will that mark sheet help ? Some doubts still loom around Gina. Can u still help and clear the clouds ?
Hindi as an optional language in junior college isn't enough to get you the 5 points.

Re-read page 29 of the booklet:

You need a degree that is equivalent to one from an Australian tertiary institution. And the language of instruction for that degree must have been Hindi.

If you don't meet this criteria (and from what you wrote you don't meet it), then your other option is to pass one of the NAATI translator/interpretor tests. If you pass the test, you can then claim the 5 points.

Have a look at the NAATI website: www.naati.com.au and follow the links. You can order over the internet a sample test. This shows you what to expect in the real test. Go for the translator test and choose translating from English into Hindi. The NAATI website also tells you where the test centres are.

Gina
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:09 am
Just Joined

hi Gina

thank you once again from the deepest of my heart. I now feel that my this particular querry is solved now with no doubts remaining.

Mahi
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice

hi, im from sri lanka. do i get qualified for this simply by holding a passport of sri lanka ??
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:38 am
Banned

NowInOz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by peaceboy
hi, im from sri lanka. do i get qualified for this simply by holding a passport of sri lanka ??
No!!!! [sigh]

Read page 29 of booklet 6 and my post above!!!!

(a) The language needs to be on the list on page 29 of booklet 6.

(b) You need a degree that is equivalent to one from an Australian tertiary institution. And the language of instruction for that degree must have been [insert your language].

(c) If you don't meet criteria (b), then your other option is to pass one of the NAATI translator/interpretor tests. If you pass the test, you can then claim the 5 points.

Have a look at the NAATI website: www.naati.com.au and follow the links. You can order over the internet a sample test. This shows you what to expect in the real test. Go for the translator test and choose translating from English into [insert your language]. The NAATI website also tells you where the test centres are.

Now go and READ PAGE 29 OF BOOKLET 6!

Gina
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice

Any other way to prove that i am a native speaker of the Designated Language? because the NATTI test deadline is passed for 2008 and we have to wait till next year november to do the test.