Designated Language 5 Points

Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

fahadkhan389 will become famous soon enoughfahadkhan389 will become famous soon enough
Default Designated Language 5 Points

Dear Friends,
i have total points 115 and i need to obtain 5 points of "Designated Language" to get required total of 120 marks to apply for permanent visa.i have done BS in computer engineering and completed a course in "URDU" that is included in the list.Someone told me that DIAC dont entitle these marks or these 5 marks cant be claimed.
Plz advise me and tell me what is the reality?can i claim these point through a letter from my university?

Note:My country is high risk country
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice
Talking Re: Designated Language 5 Points

you need to have a Degree in your native language or NATTI Accredit, and that language must be in the designated language list.

please read the booklet 6, you can download this from the http://www.immi.gov.au website.

cheers,
Peaceboy.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Designated Language 5 Points

As per booklet 6...
Points for Designated Language

The language must be on the list of designated languages below. You must have professional level language skills (written or oral) as evidenced by a qualification of equivalent standard to an Australian degree gained from a university where instruction was in one of the listed languages or by accreditation with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) at the professional level (Translator/Interpreter Level).

NAATI can provide tests in a wide range of languages both within Australia and at many overseas locations. For further information please refer to the NAATI website www.naati.com.au

You are:
¨ The holder of a qualification of equivalent standard to a degree awarded by an Australian tertiary institution where the tuition was conducted in a designated language; or

¨ Accredited as a professional interpreter or translator (level 3) in a designated language by NAATI.

www.immi.gov.au booklet 6 explains all you need to know for a 175/176 visa application.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

fahadkhan389 will become famous soon enoughfahadkhan389 will become famous soon enough

Thanx for quick response from peaceboy and Dorothy ..but i have done only a course in my BS(Computer engineering) that was conducted in URDU that is in the list...do i need to have a whole degree(BS) in the designated language or 1 course in URDU in BS makes me eligible for these points?plz clear my thoughts..

best regards
Fahad

Last edited by fahadkhan389; Oct 27th 2008 at 5:53 am.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fahadkhan389
Thanx for quick response from peaceboy and Dorothy ..but i have done only a course in my BS(Computer engineering) that was conducted in URDU that is in the list...do i need to have a whole degree(BS) in the designated language or 1 course in URDU in BS makes me eligible for these points?plz clear my thoughts..

best regards
Fahad
You need to have the entire degree done in Urdu or pass the NAATI exam to level 3.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice
Smile Re: Designated Language 5 Points

I'm with Dorthy..

you need to have the degree completed entirely in the designated language. please have look at booklet 6, it will clear your doubts
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

intellect20 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think, you may get a letter of reference from your university stating that the language of instrauction for BS program is 'Urdu'.

Others please comment on this.

best regards
Fahad
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by intellect20
I think, you may get a letter of reference from your university stating that the language of instrauction for BS program is 'Urdu'.

Others please comment on this.
All our university here claim to be English medium to get recognized world over..it looks almost impossible that University will give me such a letter.Although i know 90% lecture or course teaching was conducted in urdu.I have no hope to get these marks now:-(
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

intellect20 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest you to try. Talk to your University Controller of Examination or your department director, mention about your case and request personally to write a letter for you.
All our university here claim to be English medium to get recognized world over..it looks almost impossible that University will give me such a letter.Although i know 90% lecture or course teaching was conducted in urdu.I have no hope to get these marks now:-(
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

sfreq is an unknown quantity at this point

You should seriously consider taking the NAATI test. If you are proficient in both languages, you should be able to clear it.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:04 am
Still alive

I suggest you to try. Talk to your University Controller of Examination or your department director, mention about your case and request personally to write a letter for you.
If the degree was not taught in Urdu, then the university cannot write a letter stating that it was. It would be unethical for them to write a letter stating something that is untrue, just as it would be unethical for the applicant to submit a letter stating something that is not true. If he only did some of the courses in Urdu but the rest of the degree was taught in English, then he is not eligible to claim 5 points for a degree taught in a designated language. The only way open to him apparently is for the OP to sit the NAATI exam.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:47 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly why DIAC spends months and months checking applications from this certain geography inside and out under a microscope.

NJ