Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Info/Advice on a nurse wanting to move to Australia with her family

Info/Advice on a nurse wanting to move to Australia with her family

Old Mar 8th 2018, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

meljackson2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info/Advice on a nurse wanting to move to Australia with her family

I’m looking for any advice or info.
I’m a 38 year old nurse and hearing aid dispenser and my husband is a 42 year old retail development manager. We have 3 children.

Firstly are we too old to emigrate? I know 45 is the limit but as the visa would be based on me do they take my husbands age into consideration.

Where do I start in the process?

Where is the safest area to bring your children up?

My main reasons for moving is we want to have more family time and for the kids to enjoy the outdoors, my kids hate the winter and we literally hibernate here. The area we live in is not too bad but the secondary school where my older child will start in 5 years is not great and or safe, like every parent I just want what’s best for my kids. My husband hs a job where he works away during the week so having a lifestyle where we’re all home would be fab.

I would greatly appreciate any advice

Many thanks
Old Mar 8th 2018, 2:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info/Advice on a nurse wanting to move to Australia with her family

Originally Posted by meljackson2002
I’m a 38 year old nurse and hearing aid dispenser and my husband is a 42 year old retail development manager. We have 3 children.

Firstly are we too old to emigrate? I know 45 is the limit but as the visa would be based on me do they take my husbands age into consideration.

My main reasons for moving is we want to have more family time and for the kids to enjoy the outdoors, my kids hate the winter and we literally hibernate here. The area we live in is not too bad but the secondary school where my older child will start in 5 years is not great and or safe, like every parent I just want what’s best for my kids. My husband hs a job where he works away during the week so having a lifestyle where we’re all home would be fab.

Many thanks
Welcome to BE.

Are you degree or Diploma trained? Australia is only accepting degree trained nurses at present.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

meljackson2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Welcome to BE.

Are you degree or Diploma trained? Australia is only accepting degree trained nurses at present.
I'm degree trained
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Your husbands age is not relevant of you are the main applicant and it is your age that is relevant.
Assuming that your qualifications and work experience meet the eligibility requirements.
You would then look at the type of visa you would like to aim at obtaining. For example, based on your skills you might look at the
Old Mar 9th 2018, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

M0zza is on a distinguished road

Many thanks
No you are not too old.

Do you think you could answer the question “where is the safest place to bring up children in Europe?” I exoect not. Australia and UK have about the same crime rate, so I wouldn’t over think it, stay in the best neighbourhood you find you can afford and you are decreasing your likelihood to encounter crime. Same as in UK, as a broad generalisation.

Winter in Australia is much much nicer than in UK.

Australian work practices can mean less family time as they are meaner on annual, sick and parental leave. Good and bad secondary schools in both countries. Moving across the world for a better secondary school makes no sense. Also you do not need to move to the other side of the world to enable your husband to commute from the home every day, many millions manage that in UK.

I don’t mean you shouldn’t move, it is a great country, but I would think about your rationale a little more.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The starting point is lots of reading of this https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1

Look at the 189 visa. You will need to very carefully calculate your points. You need a minimum of 60 but more the better. At this point most people find they need to take an English test to boost points such as ILETS. Then you will need to get a skills assessment. Once you have all of this you can lodge an expression of interest. This is where points are important as they invite people to apply based on points. At the moment, no one with 65 or less is being invited.

I would though recommend you do some research as I am not sure what you think Australia is, is real. For example, what's makes you think your husband wouldn't have to work away still!? If anything it may be more likely due to distances. For example, we lived in Perth. The next nearest city is Adelaide. Several thousand km. I worked for two years in northern WA, so the same state but the distance between home and work is the same as London to Istanbul.

Then add in that Australians work some of the longest hours in the world and the average holiday allowance is 20 days.

Schools can be good and bad in either country.

Weather, well, it depends on where you live. But can have negatives in any. For example, we spent our first winter in Sydney. Which was pretty similar to the UK winter in say London. Wet and grey. In Perth, it can be very wet in winter - Perth gets twice the rainfall of London. It can also be cold but houses not designed for it. So, single figure temps but no heating, no double glazing, little insulation. Then in summer 40c days can be just as debilitating as cold.