Criminal Records

Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal Records

In a previous post I tried to inform members about the policy concerning character issues, but it was lost in the flak.

Citizenship and visas are being refused and visas are being cancelled for traffic offences and the minister has cancelled visas because he 'reasonably suspected' association with a 'designated' organisation. Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to have a 'substantial criminal record' or any criminal record to fall foul of the character provisions.

A Google search could find relevant references.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Records

Originally Posted by WRUSSELL
In a previous post I tried to inform members about the policy concerning character issues, but it was lost in the flak.

Citizenship and visas are being refused and visas are being cancelled for traffic offences and the minister has cancelled visas because he 'reasonably suspected' association with a 'designated' organisation. Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to have a 'substantial criminal record' or any criminal record to fall foul of the character provisions.

Do you have any links for those who have had visas cancelled just for traffic offences?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As it is you that has made this claim, please provide the relevant links to back this.

1 - The policy
2 - Case history examples.

Thank you.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 11:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Association with a outlaw bikie gang may be enough to lead to visa cancellation if the AFP has insufficient evidence to arrest and charge you with a particular crime but I would be sceptical of the claim that a 'traffic offence', in and of itself, would meet the character test threshold for refusal/cancellation under S.501.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point

Any conviction, or number of convictions (for any offences) that result in cumulative sentences of 12 months or longer, even if fully suspended, will result in an applicant failing to meet the character test. This applies to visa applications and more stringently to citizenship applications.

For more, may I suggest that you contact: About | McKkr's
where the article to which I originally referred was published in the ME newsletter by the principal Praveen Goyal.

Have alook at this:

Key visa cancellation statistics

and notice the trend.

For bettter particulars of offences an FoI request might be productive.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 11:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Any conviction, or number of convictions (for any offences) that result in cumulative sentences of 12 months or longer, even if fully suspended, will result in an applicant failing to meet the character test. This applies to visa applications and more stringently to citizenship applications.

where the article to which I originally referred was published in the ME newsletter by the principal Praveen Goyal.

Have alook at this:

and notice the trend.

The 12 month rule is nothing new. Any evidence that a traffic offence alone would lead to a refusal/cancellation or was that just hyperbole?
Old Oct 16th 2017, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

A traffic offence that carries a 12 month sentence would be pretty serious right, and rightly so needs judging for visa purposes.

So what? What's the beef?
Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The 12 month rule is nothing new. Any evidence that a traffic offence alone would lead to a refusal/cancellation or was that just hyperbole?
Well, I'd hate to think it was scaremongering.

I asked for
1 Policy
2 Case history

That has not been forthcoming.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:20 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Have alook at this:

and notice the trend.

I believe this is the article you mean - Pg Connects 13/10/17 - ME Alliance

I deleted the quote because you cannot copy an entire piece - see site rule 7 Site Rules | British Expatriate Community , and at the time I could not find a link to the piece to either verify it, or edit and post a link.

Even then, it is still an opinion piece. DIBP character requirements are Fact Sheet - The Character Requirement
Old Dec 19th 2017, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

rickyboyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me if a conditional discharge I received for a family row with my ex wife 7 years ago will go against my Spousal visa aplication? (no violence)
12 month discharged
Old Dec 19th 2017, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

I've been asked for a character ref and asked to explain what happens before leading up to, and after the event.. Done this.. Health check asked for at the same time. Done this too. all sent off and now waiting to hear.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 6:31 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rickyboyo
Can anyone tell me if a conditional discharge I received for a family row with my ex wife 7 years ago will go against my Spousal visa aplication? (no violence)
12 month discharged
Wouldn't like to hazard a guess I'm afraid.
Australia has a real issue with domestic violence so I would suggest showing that its a one-off (as hopefully it was) and that there were mitigating circumstances.
Best of luck
Old Dec 19th 2017, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Domestic violence!??
I have a good relationship with my ex and good dad too.
never, was domestic violence mentioned.
I'm ex military, school teacher, and raised ££££ for charity . I've been a mentor for young children..
not he end of the world if I don't get visa.. was just hoping for some good news before Xmas.. thanks anyways.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 11:52 pm

You wouldn't receive a 12 month conditional discharge for a "family row" unless it was considered domestic violence. Anything involving domestic violence would be automatically referred to VACCU which can take several months to make an assessment.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:07 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by rickyboyo
Domestic violence!??
I have a good relationship with my ex and good dad too.
never, was domestic violence mentioned.
I'm ex military, school teacher, and raised ££££ for charity . I've been a mentor for young children..
not he end of the world if I don't get visa.. was just hoping for some good news before Xmas.. thanks anyways.
As BritInParis says, a mere family row would not get you a 12 month Con Dis.
Domestic Violence is not always 'violence' in the traditional sense of the word - it can include verbal attacks for instance.

I'm not saying that it will stop you getting the visa, I just wouldn't know that, just warning you that it may take some time - in fact, as BiP says it could be several months.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 20th 2017 at 2:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.