Criminal record

Old Aug 2nd 2017, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Markymawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal record

Hi guys me and my girlfriend are looking to travel from Ireland to Australia with a working holiday visa for 1 year. I have criminal record which includes, 2 ABH and possession of class A (1 xtc tablet). For the class a drugs charge I received community service of 100 hours. For the first abh, I received 200 hours community service and a £400 compensation order. The second one I got a 1 year suspended sentence, suspended for three years and a £2,500 compensation order, I successfully completed that June 2017. All this happened within the space of 1 and a half years. From receiving my suspended sentence to now I have got a mortgage on a house and have turned my life around. What are the chances of successfully getting a visa and who is the best to get advice or help from. I am grateful for all replies thanks!!
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal record

I think it will be a struggle.

The department has a general rule of thumb that custodial sentences of 12 months or more, including suspended sentences result in a fail of the character test. In addition to that, the department can and does refuse for drug offences even if they haven't resulted in a custodial. With a mix of both it will be hard. But not necessarily impossible.

I would never normally recommend a migration agent for a working holiday visa as the application is so simple. But, in this case I think you will need one in order to try and persuade the department. But, you will need to do it on the basis that even with an agent - which will be expensive - you may still get a refusal. You will also need to be very patient as this will take some time