Criminal record?

Old May 14th 2016, 12:27 am
Just Joined

BT13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal record?

Hi guys,

I know these threads come up a lot and the common advice is contact a migration agent but Id love to just hear some opinions before I do. Sooo I have a few convictions that I am not proud of. First of all when I was 18 I was convicted of drink driving and dangerous driving for which I got banned and fined. Then when I was 19, I was convicted of possession and intent to sale and supply of cannabis for which I received a two year suspended sentence and 200 hours community service. Both court cases finished in 2013 so three years ago, ban and sentence are finished. I know this sounds really bad but I'm actually not a bad guy just a stupid kid going through a tough period. I'm 22 now nearly 23 and hoping to go to Australia with my girlfriend around New Years on a one year working visa. I've changed my life since then im nearly finished college, I'm working, I haven't been in trouble since, I play sport and I'm genuinely not a bad person and have plenty of people that could give me references.
So really I'm just wondering if anyone has any stories that can relate to mine or if anyone has any genuine opinions on my chances. Don't hold back positive or negative I would just like to know what people think.
Thank you very much any help would be great
Old May 14th 2016, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal record?

You will not pass the character test because of the two year suspended sentence so you would need to get this waived. I might have misunderstood the timing, but I believe that two year period was only up last year? Or do you mean it was completed in 2013?

A migration agent would be the best person to advise you, but as you specifically want opinions from forum members, well my opinion is that it could be a bit soon and maybe a longer track record of keeping clean would be beneficial.

Getting a visa denial is not good, you will carry it around with you forever, always having to declare it. You have got plenty of time for a WHV, I would try to persuade the girlfriend to postpone plans for a year or two and keep a clean record in the meantime.
Old May 14th 2016, 8:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BT13
Hi guys,

I know these threads come up a lot and the common advice is contact a migration agent but Id love to just hear some opinions before I do. Sooo I have a few convictions that I am not proud of. First of all when I was 18 I was convicted of drink driving and dangerous driving for which I got banned and fined. Then when I was 19, I was convicted of possession and intent to sale and supply of cannabis for which I received a two year suspended sentence and 200 hours community service. Both court cases finished in 2013 so three years ago, ban and sentence are finished. I know this sounds really bad but I'm actually not a bad guy just a stupid kid going through a tough period. I'm 22 now nearly 23 and hoping to go to Australia with my girlfriend around New Years on a one year working visa. I've changed my life since then im nearly finished college, I'm working, I haven't been in trouble since, I play sport and I'm genuinely not a bad person and have plenty of people that could give me references.
So really I'm just wondering if anyone has any stories that can relate to mine or if anyone has any genuine opinions on my chances. Don't hold back positive or negative I would just like to know what people think.
Thank you very much any help would be great
In the last couple of years Australia has started taking a far harsher view of convictions especially if you have a conviction (even if its suspended) and its a lot harder at present to predict the outcome because there are not many precedents.
I would definitely say get advice from a good agent, and see what their advice is on how to proceed.
Old May 17th 2016, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies guys, just wondering if there are any agents you could recommend and advise me on how much the whole process of using an agent would cost?
Old May 18th 2016, 1:37 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BT13
Thanks for your replies guys, just wondering if there are any agents you could recommend and advise me on how much the whole process of using an agent would cost?
The usual recommendations are those who regularly post on here - TeeTMI - http://britishexpats.com/forum/members/teetmi-195538/ , Alan Collett - http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...-collett-2105/ ,
and George Lombard - http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...-lombard-8124/

All will have contact info on their profiles
Old Jun 19th 2016, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys I'll get in contact with them