Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old May 31st 2014, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by Blueray
Hi all, I am in deep trouble. Please help me. DIAC has given me 28 days to submit all the documents and out of which 10 days have already gone. I have to get my passport reissued and then get my police clearance certificate done and this would take approx 60 to 90 days. Will DIAC give me so much extension of time? I have submitted all other documents. I am really tensed. I have no idea about how much extension at the most does DIAC give to people. Please help me if you are aware of this or if anyone has gone through similar situation.
As others have said keep your CO informed of the situation. We were given 28 days to get our AOS organised, it's a standard time they give you, but it actually took 10 weeks to get it sorted. We kept in touch with our CO with an update on progress (or lack of!).

Not sure if you are in the UK but can you pay extra for an express service or attend the passport office in person? My daughter went to the passport office in Liverpool and paid for an express service and got her passport the same day.
Old May 31st 2014, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Blueray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Thanks everyone. DaveandLinda thank you for your reply. Now I am a bit relieved looking at your reply and now I have a rough idea about it. Yes, I have written to my CO about this and just waiting for the reply. Will keep updating.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Hi all,
My issues regarding PCC and passport are resolved. I sent all required documents. DIAC sent me 2nd VAC request. I sent the money and DIAC received it on 24th June. It is an Australian Bank cheque.
Can any one please advice as how long after 2nd VAC payment do we get the visa? In DIAC's letter it is written within 2 to 3 working days once the Bank cheque is cleared. It's now 27th and still no news.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Hi all,
My issues regarding PCC and passport are resolved. I sent all required documents. DIAC sent me 2nd VAC request. I sent the money and DIAC received it on 24th June. It is an Australian Bank cheque.
Can any one please advice as how long after 2nd VAC payment do we get the visa? In DIAC's letter it is written within 2 to 3 working days once the Bank cheque is cleared. It's now 27th and still no news.
In our case it took about 2 weeks.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
In our case it took about 2 weeks.
Thanks DaveandLinda,
I think we have a lot in common Your replies really relieve my stress.
Thank you again for prompt reply. Now I can wait for my visa without stress.

Last edited by Blueray; Jun 27th 2014 at 11:39 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Hi DaveandLinda,
I got my visa grant letter. Thank you for your help in the journey.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi DaveandLinda,
I got my visa grant letter. Thank you for your help in the journey.
Congratulations, now you can concentrate on looking forward to your new life in Oz. Good luck!
Old Jul 5th 2014, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Congratulations, now you can concentrate on looking forward to your new life in Oz. Good luck!
Thank you DaveandLinda,
I will leave for Australia end of this month.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Can anyone tell me if we have right to work full time in Australia under CPV 173? It is mentioned in their website under what this visa lets you do though, however, in vevo page it is nowhere mentioned that you have right to work in Australia.
Does anyone has any experience of working in Australia under CPV 173?
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes you can, you have full work rights and it is mentioned on your visa grant letter. OH worked for a while and we have friends on a 173 who are working.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Yes you can, you have full work rights and it is mentioned on your visa grant letter. OH worked for a while and we have friends on a 173 who are working.
Thanks for your reply DaveandLinda.
I think DIAC has stopped writing the work rights on VISA now a days because it is not written on my visa grant letter either. That is why I am a bit concerned. In Australia while applying for a job, in few cases, I am facing challenges as I need to attach either my visa number or visa letter to prove I have work rights in Australia and I also checked my visa entitlement online on vevo, it is not mentioned there either.
I have written a query to DIAC. I will keep you updated about it. Thanks anyway.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 12:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply DaveandLinda.
I think DIAC has stopped writing the work rights on VISA now a days because it is not written on my visa grant letter either. That is why I am a bit concerned. In Australia while applying for a job, in few cases, I am facing challenges as I need to attach either my visa number or visa letter to prove I have work rights in Australia and I also checked my visa entitlement online on vevo, it is not mentioned there either.
I have written a query to DIAC. I will keep you updated about it. Thanks anyway.
Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
  • live in Australia for two years
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • travel to and from Australia for two years from the date the visa is granted.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
  • live in Australia for two years
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • travel to and from Australia for two years from the date the visa is granted.
Thanks Pollyana. My issue is which document should I provide to the employers to prove my work right in Australia? Many are asking for the visa letter where the work permit is nowhere mentioned. I am aware that they can check my work rights on vevo website, however, as I can not see my work rights on vevo site, I'm afraid the employers will also not be able to see it there.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 6:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana. My issue is which document should I provide to the employers to prove my work right in Australia? Many are asking for the visa letter where the work permit is nowhere mentioned. I am aware that they can check my work rights on vevo website, however, as I can not see my work rights on vevo site, I'm afraid the employers will also not be able to see it there.
Your employer will be able to see what visa you hold (ie 173). The will then be abe to see the same page that I linked to above, on the DIBP site, which clearly states 173s have working rights. If they still don't believe you they need to contact DIBP.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Pollyana.