Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

indalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really nice
Default Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Hi all,

my Dad applied for the 173 visa sept 09, and not heard a thing yet, not even an aknowledgment, should he have received at least a receipt or something for the initial application payment?

thanks,

Louise x

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 1st 2010 at 6:45 am. Reason: Splitting posts into new thread
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Yes, something seems to have gone wrong. Check it out, acknowledgement should have been received.

Charlie
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:04 pm

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by indalo
Hi all,

my Dad applied for the 173 visa sept 09, and not heard a thing yet, not even an aknowledgment, should he have received at least a receipt or something for the initial application payment?

thanks,

Louise x
He should definitely contact them - something has gone astray there.

Good luck

Steve
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

indalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really nice

thanks, I keep telling him to chase it up, but he phoned immi once and listened to a recorded message, which stated that he wouldn't hear anything for 18 months.

I'll get him to ring up and find out what's going on, I know that the fee definitely came out of the bank, but there was no email or anything to acknowledge receipt.

thanks guys
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:52 pm

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by indalo
thanks, I keep telling him to chase it up, but he phoned immi once and listened to a recorded message, which stated that he wouldn't hear anything for 18 months.

I'll get him to ring up and find out what's going on, I know that the fee definitely came out of the bank, but there was no email or anything to acknowledge receipt.

thanks guys
That's the main thing anyway - the fee has been paid. We've known of a few cases where emails have not arrived (incorrectly recorded email address by DIAC, or address changed by the applicant, and ignored by DIAC, or spam systems have got hold of the message). But he really does need to get a reference and acknowledgement date for peace of mind, and to make sure they've got the right contact address.

Cheers

Steve
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sandch
Hello Dave and Linda

We have 2 daughters and one will be here in England. It is a mistake to try to follow your kids around we're told, and in our case it's sort of impossible. But the idea is that if we can get dual citizenship before we get to advanced years, at least the choice will be available. It may be a more important option one day if only one parent remains - not a nice thought, but an unavoidable one.

We'velooked at it as a sort of investment / insurance policy for the future, and can't really know how it will evolve. In our case we arranged our finances early on to include the visas. We were lucky with the exchange rate and if we were going through it now we'd have to think carefully about whether to defer it.

Your son might consider going over on a remaining relative visa if he still likes the idea of Oz. It's become more difficult recently and would require you to already be permanent residents.

Good luck with a difficult decision.

Best wishes

Steve
I have just had a look at the Remaining Relative visa on the DIAC website and it says: You can be sponsored by your brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) or you may be sponsored by your relative's partner (if they live together)

I am just wondering if my daughter or son-in-law would be able to sponsor my son as soon as we get our permanent visa and move to Oz. My daughter is sponsoring us as well, so I don't know how many people you can sponsor, or my son-in-law could possibly sponsor my son. Or would we have to wait until we had been in Oz for two years.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
I have just had a look at the Remaining Relative visa on the DIAC website and it says: You can be sponsored by your brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) or you may be sponsored by your relative's partner (if they live together)

I am just wondering if my daughter or son-in-law would be able to sponsor my son as soon as we get our permanent visa and move to Oz. My daughter is sponsoring us as well, so I don't know how many people you can sponsor, or my son-in-law could possibly sponsor my son. Or would we have to wait until we had been in Oz for two years.
Just a comment on the Remaining Relative visa criteria - my son thought this would be a good idea too but because he is actually married he 'assumes' his in laws as relatives and therefore does not qualify.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sandch
That's the main thing anyway - the fee has been paid. We've known of a few cases where emails have not arrived (incorrectly recorded email address by DIAC, or address changed by the applicant, and ignored by DIAC, or spam systems have got hold of the message). But he really does need to get a reference and acknowledgement date for peace of mind, and to make sure they've got the right contact address.

Cheers

Steve
Dad has just spoken to DIAC , and yes, they agree that he should have had acknowledgement within 4 weeks, so they will be sending him an acknowledgment within 2 days, phew!!

Last edited by indalo; Oct 28th 2010 at 2:19 am. Reason: spelling!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
Presumably you have your visa label in your passports? As the visa is one of the documents required, those few that have had their visas issued electronically will need some form of proof of that, when going for their driving licences?

Cheers

Matt
Ours was issued electronically, but following advice on this forum, we decided to get the Australian High Commission to stick it in the passport for good measure! It was well worth the postage and has already saved us a lot of hassle.

Julie
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

ileay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Julian927
Ours was issued electronically, but following advice on this forum, we decided to get the Australian High Commission to stick it in the passport for good measure! It was well worth the postage and has already saved us a lot of hassle.

Julie
Hi Julie,
Do you mean you had that done by the Australian High Commission in London before you left the UK?
What do you have to do to get that done please?
June
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by junejuno
Hi Julie,
Do you mean you had that done by the Australian High Commission in London before you left the UK?
What do you have to do to get that done please?
June
Yes we did it in England before we left. We sent our passports, together with the visa grant letter, in a special delivery envelope, enclosing a post paid self addressed, special delivery envelope for return. I think the envelopes, white, from the post office cost about £10 in total......but well worth the investment.

Julie
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Yes we did it in England before we left. We sent our passports, together with the visa grant letter, in a special delivery envelope, enclosing a post paid self addressed, special delivery envelope for return. I think the envelopes, white, from the post office cost about £10 in total......but well worth the investment.

Julie
Many thanks Julie. It sounds very worth while so thanks for that valuable info.
June
Old Oct 30th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Julie
Hi Julie,
I wonder if you could tell me how long the High commission took to send your passport back with the visa in it?

I have been discussing this with my daughter in Oz this morning and she thinks that i may not have time. I am presently getting cash together to send over for my 2nd VAC payment (will be done in next couple of weeks) so I would hope that my visa will be granted shortly after that. That only leaves a couple of weeks before i am due to fly out to Oz on 2nd December!
June
Old Oct 30th 2010, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

The process for me was pretty quick. It only took about 5 days to send and receice back the passports.

Charlie
Old Oct 30th 2010, 5:48 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by junejuno
Hi Julie,
I wonder if you could tell me how long the High commission took to send your passport back with the visa in it?

I have been discussing this with my daughter in Oz this morning and she thinks that i may not have time. I am presently getting cash together to send over for my 2nd VAC payment (will be done in next couple of weeks) so I would hope that my visa will be granted shortly after that. That only leaves a couple of weeks before i am due to fly out to Oz on 2nd December!
June
If you send your passport in a Royal Mail Special Delivery Silver Pouch they (London Oz High Commission) guarantee that the whole process from posting to return will take 3 - 5 days, as long as there are no bank holidays.

You can always go in person to get it done if in London.

Cheers

Matt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.