Contracting on a working holiday visa

Old Oct 28th 2017, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Simplicity is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Contracting on a working holiday visa

Hi folks,

I've had a search but it doesn't look like it's been discussed on here in years and I know things have changed a fair bit as of late.

I'm looking to move to Melbourne in Australia from the UK and while I'm waiting for my permanent skilled 189 visa to go through I'm looking to go over on a working holiday visa and contract / holiday. I was wondering how realistic my chances are as I'm operating in the UK at a senior level in a niche IT job (computer network design and implementation) and want to continue to do this in AUS. In the UK it works best as a limited company but I've found that to do this in Australia I need an AUS address (I'm tempted to rent a mailing address to get things registered in advance but am wondering if there's some sort of restriction stopping that) - I've also read that umbrellas are a more common arrangement in Australia which may mean I can just get an agency to sort out that side.

Anyone done this lately and can perhaps summarise the main pitfalls that I might fall into if I go into this with too much optimism? I would've probably found it easier to get in as a permie with sponsorship for a 457 in the past but I hear the new TSS visa that's taken over is much more restrictive and so it's probably going to be difficult to find a job that way.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Simplicity; Oct 28th 2017 at 3:35 pm. Reason: corrections
Old Oct 29th 2017, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contracting on a working holiday visa

May I sugget that you take legal advice about having resident director?
Old Oct 29th 2017, 7:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contracting on a working holiday visa

Originally Posted by WRUSSELL
MAY I SUGGEST YOU STOP WRITING IN ****ING BOLD!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. Just stop it.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Simplicity is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Contracting on a working holiday visa

Originally Posted by WRUSSELL
I will ask about that - thanks.

If anyone has anything else to add, I'll take any advice I can get