Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Confusion over Police Clearance Certificate

Confusion over Police Clearance Certificate

Old Nov 17th 2014, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

atongia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion over Police Clearance Certificate

Going to too many forums creates confusion.

Can anyone please help me in clearing the doubt about Police Clearance.
I have received invite for lodging an application. I have submitted the application and done with the payment also. Now I need to Upload the documents. I have recently moved to UK , just 90 days back

For Character Certificate, the HELP File says as below :
========================================

In order for your visa or citizenship application to be processed, you need to provide evidence of your 'good character'. Good character covers the 'enduring moral qualities of a person' and whether they are likely to uphold and obey the Australian laws while in Australia, and other commitments they may make through the Australian Citizenship Pledge.
All visa and citizenship applicants are required to provide a penal clearance certificate or police check from each country visited, if:
  • you lived or travelled outside Australia since the age of 18 years or over; and
  • the total time spent outside Australia added up to 12 months or more; and
  • the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days; or
  • you are requested to do so by the department.

Old Nov 17th 2014, 5:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion over Police Clearance Certificate

Originally Posted by atongia
Going to too many forums creates confusion.

Can anyone please help me in clearing the doubt about Police Clearance.
I have received invite for lodging an application. I have submitted the application and done with the payment also. Now I need to Upload the documents. I have recently moved to UK , just 90 days back

For Character Certificate, the HELP File says as below :

In order for your visa or citizenship application to be processed, you need to provide evidence of your 'good character'. Good character covers the 'enduring moral qualities of a person' and whether they are likely to uphold and obey the Australian laws while in Australia, and other commitments they may make through the Australian Citizenship Pledge.
All visa and citizenship applicants are required to provide a penal clearance certificate or police check from each country visited, if:
  • you lived or travelled outside Australia since the age of 18 years or over; and
  • the total time spent outside Australia added up to 12 months or more; and
  • the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days; or
  • you are requested to do so by the department.

Can't see why its confusing, sorry

You have been in the UK for 90 days, by the time they request police checks it will be more than 90 days, so you need a UK police check.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Confusion lies here at Immigration website
Character and police certificate requirements
====================================
When is a police certificate required?

If you are over the age of 16 and have lived in any of the countries listed on this page for a total of one year or more in the last 10 years, you must get a police certificate from that country.

The certificate must cover the period of time from the issue date back to the age you ceased to be a minor, or must cover the whole time you were in a country.

For immigration purposes a police certificate is deemed to be valid for 12 months from the issue date.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:04 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Confusion lies here at Immigration website
Character and police certificate requirements
When is a police certificate required?

If you are over the age of 16 and have lived in any of the countries listed on this page for a total of one year or more in the last 10 years, you must get a police certificate from that country.

The certificate must cover the period of time from the issue date back to the age you ceased to be a minor, or must cover the whole time you were in a country.

For immigration purposes a police certificate is deemed to be valid for 12 months from the issue date.
I would probably go with that definition. If the CO would like a police certificate for your stay in the UK they can always ask but regardless of whether or not you need to provide the certificate you still need to declare any offences, and if you do have any offences to declare then the police cert will probably be required. Of course, the UK ACRO is not expensive so it may be worth applying for it anyway as it may be needed for citizenship - not sure on that

Edit - the original requirement posted is for citizenship so you will need that cert at some point it seems.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 6:30 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably though the OP is stating on his application that he is living in the UK, in which case there is a pretty good chance of a request for a police check. However I don't suggest appying until requested - as ever - or it might expire.

Of more concern might be the time it takes to get the pcc from the former country of residence, which I am guessing may be a high risk country.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_TheGoose_Davies will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I would probably go with that definition. If the CO would like a police certificate for your stay in the UK they can always ask but regardless of whether or not you need to provide the certificate you still need to declare any offences, and if you do have any offences to declare then the police cert will probably be required. Of course, the UK ACRO is not expensive so it may be worth applying for it anyway as it may be needed for citizenship - not sure on that

Edit - the original requirement posted is for citizenship so you will need that cert at some point it seems.
I have just applied for citizenship online & found the requirement for a Police Cert quite confusing too. It seems that if you have spent over 90 days and in total 1 year or over in any one country since being granted your PR then I need to provide a Police cert. I made the mistake of submitting my citizenship application online before applying for my UK police cert. Once the citizenship has been applied for you need to upload all your documents within 7 days - I haven't even applied for my police cert yet and I definitely won't receive it back within 7 days - so I'm going to ring to find out what I should do.

I could do with advice from anyone who has gone through this process I am in the process of writing out the police cert application however payment is required by UK sterling cheque, Postal order, bankers draft or bank transfer & payment must be made out to 'Police and crime commissioner for Hampshire, Do not send cash... As I am located in Melbourne (currently on PR) can anyone advise how I can make that payment?
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:31 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Laura_TheGoose_Davies
I have just applied for citizenship online & found the requirement for a Police Cert quite confusing too. It seems that if you have spent over 90 days and in total 1 year or over in any one country since being granted your PR then I need to provide a Police cert. I made the mistake of submitting my citizenship application online before applying for my UK police cert. Once the citizenship has been applied for you need to upload all your documents within 7 days - I haven't even applied for my police cert yet and I definitely won't receive it back within 7 days - so I'm going to ring to find out what I should do.

I could do with advice from anyone who has gone through this process I am in the process of writing out the police cert application however payment is required by UK sterling cheque, Postal order, bankers draft or bank transfer & payment must be made out to 'Police and crime commissioner for Hampshire, Do not send cash... As I am located in Melbourne (currently on PR) can anyone advise how I can make that payment?
Don't you have any friends or family in the UK who can write a cheque for you or do a bank transfer? Or friends here who still have a UK bank account?
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Presumably though the OP is stating on his application that he is living in the UK, in which case there is a pretty good chance of a request for a police check. However I don't suggest appying until requested - as ever - or it might expire.

Of more concern might be the time it takes to get the pcc from the former country of residence, which I am guessing may be a high risk country.

Thanks for your reply Pollyana ! My case is of PR only, and not citizenship
Well, none of the countries where I dwell in last ten years is a high risk country.
A. India
B. Australia
C. United Kingdom (current)

For India, I already got PCC , as their systems are centralized and Indian High Commission in London worked out swiftly on this and I could fetch my Police Clearance in a few days time. So, this one I already have with me.

For Aus and UK, I will apply if the Case officer asked me to do so. I havent stayed in these countries for a total of 12 months. So, as discussed, I will apply once CO gets assigned and asks for the PCC.

Cheers !
AT
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:17 pm
Home and Happy

Thanks for your reply Pollyana ! My case is of PR only, and not citizenship
Well, none of the countries where I dwell in last ten years is a high risk country.
A. India
B. Australia
C. United Kingdom (current)

For India, I already got PCC , as their systems are centralized and Indian High Commission in London worked out swiftly on this and I could fetch my Police Clearance in a few days time. So, this one I already have with me.

For Aus and UK, I will apply if the Case officer asked me to do so. I havent stayed in these countries for a total of 12 months. So, as discussed, I will apply once CO gets assigned and asks for the PCC.

Cheers !
AT
If its only for PR don't confuse yourself by reading the requirements for citizenship.
They MIGHT ask for a UK check as you are currently living there. They won't want an Aus one unless you have done 12 months or very close to it.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 11:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura_TheGoose_Davies
If no-one in the UK can help you then an international bank transfer is an option.

http://www.acro.police.uk/Pay_by_Bank_Transfer/
Old Nov 20th 2014, 3:57 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If no-one in the UK can help you then an international bank transfer is an option.

http://www.acro.police.uk/Pay_by_Bank_Transfer/