Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Coming from nz, uk citizen,Complicated, advice desperately needed

Coming from nz, uk citizen,Complicated, advice desperately needed

Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming from nz, uk citizen,Complicated, advice desperately needed

Guys

We are Currently living in nz, permanent residents, we have been here 2 and a half years so we are only 6 months from (hopefully) being in a position to sponsor my Dad to come over to nz.

Fly in the ointment, I have been offered a job in Oz for sponsorship, quite honestly we want to go to Oz but my Dad is preparing himself to come and live with us here in NZ in the not too distant future.

If we go to Oz on a sponsorship visa, I understand we are a long long way off from ever being in a position to sponsor him, he is very old and not likely to last more than a few years ( his words, not mine) and he just wants to spend as much time as he can with his grandkids as he is in the uk by himself now.

What kind of visitor visa is he likely to get to come visit in Oz and how long will he be able to stay? ( all scenarios accepted ie: coming and going to reactivate etc)

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming from nz, uk citizen,Complicated, advice desperately needed

What kind of sponsorship have you been offered in Australia? Permanent or temporary?

Have you thought staying put in NZ might be the best option? Your dad cannot live in Australia on a tourist visa, people do spend six months here six months in UK without too much trouble, but it doesn't sound like this is what he wants to do.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Its a 457 visa I believe.

So that is what would be involved? 6 months in 6 months out? No, that probably wouldnt be ideal then.

Cheers
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walshy
Its a 457 visa I believe.

So that is what would be involved? 6 months in 6 months out? No, that probably wouldnt be ideal then.

Cheers
I did not say that is what would be involved, I said some people do this without having problems with immigration.

There is no solution to this, he cannot live in Australia on a tourist visa.

I would also recommend you consider your own status further, you could end up with no right ot live in NZ or Australia if you move over now on a 457.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Even though we are permanent residents here?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Kate D will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by walshy
Even though we are permanent residents here?
As long as you have your IRRV (indefinite right of return visa) which means the best part of the last two years (184 days per year??) in NZ on PR, then you can return any time to live/work, etc. If your passport expires, you need to get the visa added to the new one from what I recollect.

I'm also a UK citizen, living in NZ, but met an Aussie bloke here who wants to return home, so I've applied for a visa to go with him...:-) But I know I can come back to NZ with my current PR/IRRV status. My passport is valid for more than seven years yet so not something I have to think about for a while.

Kate