Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Coming in on a 457, can I use quick lane for immigration entry?

Coming in on a 457, can I use quick lane for immigration entry?

Old Oct 28th 2014, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute
Question Coming in on a 457, can I use quick lane for immigration entry?

Hi, last time I went through Brisbane airport in June this year, I was just on a visitor visa and used the quick immigration lane where you just scan your passport etc. when I come in next time it will be first entry on the 457 visa. Do I need to use a lane with an immigration officer to validate the visa or can I just use the quick lane again?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming in on a 457, can I use quick lane for immigration entry?

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
Hi, last time I went through Brisbane airport in June this year, I was just on a visitor visa and used the quick immigration lane where you just scan your passport etc. when I come in next time it will be first entry on the 457 visa. Do I need to use a lane with an immigration officer to validate the visa or can I just use the quick lane again?
There is no difference between travelling on a visitor visa or a 457 visa, all visas are verified one way or another. The only "special line" is for citizens. Not quite sure what quick line you could be referring to, unless you mean the eye/ retina scan thing? If that works for you then lucky you, it has never so far worked for me.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. By "quick" I mean the queues are generally shorter and you scan your own passport chip into a machine the walk a few steps forward and have your photo taken etc before you ever see an officer. Has been quicker for me in the past.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. By "quick" I mean the queues are generally shorter and you scan your own passport chip into a machine the walk a few steps forward and have your photo taken etc before you ever see an officer. Has been quicker for me in the past.
Gosh never heard of that before. Must be a Brisbane international thing, I have only flown in there once when I came back from New Zealand but that was a year ago. Have seen the retina scan things, but not a scan passport process. Would be nice if they extended that.

Anyway, point remains. Visitor visa or 457 visa, there is no difference in process.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Yes, not that many places I've been to have it but when they do it is usually faster as only passports that have the "chip" in them can use that service and also people don't know what to do so avoid using it :-)
Old Oct 28th 2014, 4:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Gosh never heard of that before. Must be a Brisbane international thing, I have only flown in there once when I came back from New Zealand but that was a year ago. Have seen the retina scan things, but not a scan passport process. Would be nice if they extended that.

Anyway, point remains. Visitor visa or 457 visa, there is no difference in process.
It's also at Perth and most international airports I've traveled to recently.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Is the Perth one the one for people with Australian passports only, Dorothy? I love using it, gets you through in no time!
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Is the Perth one the one for people with Australian passports only, Dorothy? I love using it, gets you through in no time!
I'm not sure. I travel on my Australian passport when I enter Perth.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:29 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby & I flew into Gold Coast airport recently with 457s, and queued up with everyone else. When we got to the desk, the lady told us that we could have used the e-passport queue (I think that's what it's called). In fairness, it would have been a lot quicker if we had! So, if you have a passport with the chip in it, you should be able to use it.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
My hubby & I flew into Gold Coast airport recently with 457s, and queued up with everyone else. When we got to the desk, the lady told us that we could have used the e-passport queue (I think that's what it's called). In fairness, it would have been a lot quicker if we had! So, if you have a passport with the chip in it, you should be able to use it.
General consensus seems to be we can use it so we will and the worse that could happen is someone tells us we need to see the immigration officer and have to queue up again Thanks all.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Ok think I know what OP means. But it isn't just a swipe of the passport and a photo, it definitely scans your face for verification (but I think the retina scan is something else). Tried it loads of times as we have chips, never worked for me or Mr BS and by time we have done faffing about the regular queue is a mile long so we just go straight to it now.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

General consensus seems to be we can use it so we will and the worse that could happen is someone tells us we need to see the immigration officer and have to queue up again Thanks all.
Again, there is no difference between travelling on a 457 and a visitor visa. If you have used it before then you can use it again.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Again, there is no difference between travelling on a 457 and a visitor visa. If you have used it before then you can use it again.
Thank you - just wasn't sure we could use the the very first time on a 457 in case we had to have the passports stamped or something to validate entry.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

Arriving in Melbourne from the UK to validate my 189 visa, I used the faster e-passport lane, where you scan your biometric UK passport and walk through automated gates, without any problems.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

SmartGate ePassport Self Service

What is SmartGate?

SmartGate gives eligible travellers the option to self-process through passport control. SmartGate uses the data in the ePassport and face recognition technology to perform the customs and immigration checks usually conducted by an Australian Customs and Border Protection Service officer.

Who can use SmartGate?

You are eligible to use SmartGate to self-process through Australia's passport control:

• If you hold an Australian, New Zealand UK or US ePassport and you are aged 16 years or over.
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...eFactSheet.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.