Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship status for Permanent Resident's new born

Citizenship status for Permanent Resident's new born

Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

asadsherazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship status for Permanent Resident's new born

Hi we are permanent residents in Australia and just had a baby couple of months ago. Registered the birth.

When we applied for our baby's Passport at AusPost. The staff told us that there is a change in Rule and we have to apply for the baby's citizenship first before we apply for the passport.

I tried to google this new rule but could not find. Our first baby was a citizen by birth since we are on PR.

So now which form i have to submit for my new born to apply for the citizenship ?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship status for Permanent Resident's new born

You don't need to apply for citizenship for your child - you need to apply for a citizenship certificate. This is the evidence that you need to prove that your child is Australian and thus entitled to a passport.

Evidence of Australian citizenship - summary

Did you read the Notes that accompany a Child Passport Application form? It outlines what you need to do. Amongst other things, the notes tell you:

'If the child’s parent was born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986, or held permanent residency status at the time of the child’s birth, you will need to provide additional citizenship evidence.

The Notes are here: https://ppol.passports.gov.au/Web/Fo...r.pdf#zoom=100

Last edited by NickyC; Nov 30th 2016 at 10:18 am.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

asadsherazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the clarification. May i ask one silly question? i am clear about date of birth. But what are these two dates ?
'Date of registration?
Date of issue?

My child's birth certificate just contain two dates. One is Date of Birth. and one date at the end.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

No idea, to be honest.

What form is asking for those dates?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Making the assumption that the baby was born in Australia - if not, then they are not a citizen.