Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Chasing my daughter's Citizenship certificate

Chasing my daughter's Citizenship certificate

Old Aug 13th 2017, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chasing my daughter's Citizenship certificate

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's why I asked earlier, I guess they got her a visa, which they should not have done.
Why not?
Old Aug 13th 2017, 7:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Why not?
Because if you are a citizen of a country you do not need, and legally cannot hold a visa for that country.
Also Australia has a rule which says even dual citizens holding more than one passport must enter and leave Australia using an Australian passport.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Because if you are a citizen of a country you do not need, and legally cannot hold a visa for that country.
Also Australia has a rule which says even dual citizens holding more than one passport must enter and leave Australia using an Australian passport.
Interesting. She doesn't have an Australian passport, so that's probably why.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 8:37 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. She doesn't have an Australian passport, so that's probably why.
She is an Australian. She needs an Australian passport to travel. As soon as you have her citizenship certficate I'd look at getting the passport.
As BiP said above, DIBP aren't that good at identifying when Australians apply for visas and often they are granted erroneously - as is the case here. You ned to sort it out before she next needs to travel as that visa/evisitor she holds is actually null and void.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

As soon as you have her citizenship certficate I'd look at getting the passport.
That is what we were trying to do from Dubai. I am sure it will be easier to do from here. I also have to get one for my son.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 9:15 am
Home and Happy

That is what we were trying to do from Dubai. I am sure it will be easier to do from here. I also have to get one for my son.
You mean he is also an Australian but is travelling on a visa?
The holes in the DIBP computer system are even bigger than I thought!
Old Aug 13th 2017, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

You mean he is also an Australian but is travelling on a visa?
The holes in the DIBP computer system are even bigger than I thought!
No, he only has a UK passport and not Citizenship. But he is entitled to Citizenship by Descent as well, I am not sure why my husband applied for our daughter but not for our son. I think he maybe planned to do one then the other as it was quite expensive and didn't seem a priority at the time.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 11:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You've obviously never lived in the UAE
One would hope the usual qualifications regarding ME bureaucracy wouldn't extend as far as the Australian Embassy.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
One would hope the usual qualifications regarding ME bureaucracy wouldn't extend as far as the Australian Embassy.
Of course they do. There is not one customer-facing Australian in the Australian Embassy, it's manned by Egyptians and Indians.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they do. There is not one customer-facing Australian in the Australian Embassy, it's manned by Egyptians and Indians.
That's odd. According to the UAE Australian embassy website they do face to face passport applications. Services for Australians And considering the job advertisements on the site state that you need to be an Australian citizen to get the job, perhaps the "foreign" people you object to are actually Australian citizens of Egyptian or Indian descent?
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:28 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's odd. According to the UAE Australian embassy website they do face to face passport applications. Services for Australians And considering the job advertisements on the site state that you need to be an Australian citizen to get the job, perhaps the "foreign" people you object to are actually Australian citizens of Egyptian or Indian descent?
I believe you have o be an Aussie citizen to do any of the visa/passport jobs in the embassies and Hgh Commissions - same as doing the job onshore, you are employed by a Federal Govt Department after all
Old Aug 14th 2017, 5:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There will be some locally engaged staff but anyone working at a senior management level will be a posted DIBP official. The Australian government has far stricter rules as to which nationals can work for them compared to, say, the British government. What attempts did you make to rectify the situation over the four year period? A simple complaint via the DIBP website will usually suffice. If not then go to your MP.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, thanks for your advice, but as I said upthread, it's fine now, I just have to pay another $190 to get the Certificate.