Changing £ into $AUD

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 3:38 am
PT

Hi, has anyone managed to find a good way of changing sterling into $AUD.

Paul

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 4:53 am
Steve

in message

> Hi, has anyone managed to find a good way of changing sterling into $AUD.
>
> Paul

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 7:50 am
Russell Driver

>
> Paul
>
> If you are changing a relatively small amount - say for spending money to
travel with -I found that purchasing travellers cheques at the local(not main )post office
was quite good. I had enquired at a main post office and was told that to order large
amounts( I was ordering three grands worth) I had to use a sub post office. The owner was
delighted at my business and I purchased travellers cheques in $AUD at a very good
exchange rate,in fact the rate was the best I had seen.

If you are transferring substantial sums it is wise to use the larger financial
institutions. I used my local bank(The Yorkshire) to tranfer funds as I sold my house &
business etc. It was sent to an account I had opened here personally here in Adelaide on a
previous visit(if you are visiting with the intention of returning permanently open an
account with a few $ - it makes it a hell of a lot easier later. You can open an account
here remotely but you will have to come in person and show a lot of ID before any money
can be withdrawn! Just look on the net - The National Australia Bank(mine),The
Commonwealth etc can do it.

Banks use what is called an International money transfer(if I remember right),it costs 28
UK pounds each time no matter how much you transfer.

The rate of exchange was not too bad as well - a few cents more than advertised in
the papers.

If you are moving substantial sums out of the UK keep a very good record of where the
money came from,I was informed the police keep an eye out for unusual sum of money moving
about - suspicious of drugs and so on.

Hope this helps

Regards

Russell
--
auSEElife Run by migrants -for migrants Lot 11 Penneys Rise Onkaparinga Hills SA 5163 ICQ
91486130 Yahoo Messenger russ1926 Fax +61 8 8186 1538

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 8:34 am
Dean Chapman

The Natwest charged me £14 for transfers up to £10,000. I opened an account ,without
visiting Oz, from the ANZ bank( www.anz.com ). You have to get an ID reference from your
bank manager or a consulate official (for Federal government reasons) when opening the
account at ANZ. You wont get a cash point card unless you are visiting Oz and can pick it
up from an ANZ branch. Dean.

>

> > Hi, has anyone managed to find a good way of changing sterling into $AUD.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > If you are changing a relatively small amount - say for spending money
to
> travel with -I found that purchasing travellers cheques at the local(not main )post
> office was quite good. I had enquired at a main post office and was told that to order
> large amounts( I was ordering three grands worth) I had to use a sub post
office.
> The owner was delighted at my business and I purchased travellers cheques
in
> $AUD at a very good exchange rate,in fact the rate was the best I had
seen.
>
> If you are transferring substantial sums it is wise to use the larger financial
> institutions. I used my local bank(The Yorkshire) to tranfer funds as I sold my house &
> business etc. It was sent to an account I had opened here personally here in Adelaide on
a
> previous visit(if you are visiting with the intention of returning permanently open an
> account with a few $ - it makes it a hell of a lot easier later. You can open an account
> here remotely but you will have to come in person and show a lot of ID before any money
> can be withdrawn! Just look on the net - The National Australia Bank(mine),The
> Commonwealth etc can do it.
>
> Banks use what is called an International money transfer(if I remember right),it costs
> 28 UK pounds each time no matter how much you transfer.
>
> The rate of exchange was not too bad as well - a few cents more than advertised in
> the papers.
>
> If you are moving substantial sums out of the UK keep a very good record
of
> where the money came from,I was informed the police keep an eye out for unusual sum of
> money moving about - suspicious of drugs and so on.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Regards
>
> Russell
> --
> auSEElife Run by migrants -for migrants Lot 11 Penneys Rise Onkaparinga Hills SA 5163
> ICQ 91486130 Yahoo Messenger russ1926 Fax +61 8 8186 1538

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 8:36 am
Rob McCulloch

Yes.. You can give me a pound sterling.. and I will give you an Au$

PT wrote:

>
> Paul